Last 2 games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Last 2 games

totally agree Bees. happy we go through them no matter how we looked. next 3 games, all very very winnable. hope we pull through, it would put us in the drivers seat for a bid.

Huge peeve of mine. Can't stand when coaches are on the court.

We've seen this situation occur several times over the last few seasons. Now, I obviously don't know for certain, but based on a sort of "traffic analysis," there has to be a prohibition against T-ing the coach for this. And that kind of thing comes from the top. Because when it happens so often, and we've all seen it, that it can't be an oversight. I'm convinced of that. The officials "pre-game" for at least an hour, watch video, and discuss what will happen if this or that occurs. And make no mistake, handling the coaches is absolutely one of those situations. And if you take it upon yourself to T a coach in that situation, in which you've been specifically told not to, you might want to switch and take up coaching yourself, or maybe skiing or bowling, because you're not going to see anymore reffing assignments.

Last edited:
We've seen this situation occur several times over the last few seasons. Now, I obviously don't know for certain, but based on a sort of "traffic analysis," there has to be a prohibition against T-ing the coach for this. And that kind of thing comes from the top. Because when it happens so often, and we've all seen it, that it can't be an oversight. I'm convinced of that. The officials "pre-game" for at least an hour, watch video, and discuss what will happen if this or that occurs. And make no mistake, handling the coaches is absolutely one of those situations. And if you take it upon yourself to T a coach in that situation, in which you've been specifically told not to, you might want to take up coaching, or maybe skiing or bowling, because you're not going to see anymore reffing assignments.
What happens if the coach impedes play by making contact with a player or the ball while on the court or outside the box along the sideline? Is that an automatic technical?

What happens if the coach impedes play by making contact with a player or the ball while on the court or outside the box along the sideline? Is that an automatic technical?
I would assume so

I would assume so
I would assume so, too, but can't recall seeing it happen (and you would think the situation must have occurred, given the way some of these coaches wander). That's why I'm asking someone who would know.

First, someone's gotta see it. :D And for a technical foul to be applied there, it has to be intentional, and it has to have an effect on play or a player. Not all gyms are "created equal," some don't have much room for the coach to maneuver up and down the sidelines. Other things may come into play: consider the coach, while addressing his own players, slips and falls on some water from the last time-out, goes down and an opposing player trips over him. That's not going to generate a T. So, like I said, if it's ruled intentional, then you've got to deal with it.

I would assume so, too, but can't recall seeing it happen (and you would think the situation must have occurred, given the way some of these coaches wander). That's why I'm asking someone who would know.

I've never seen it happen. And if it did at the NCAA Div I level, the offending coach is going to have bigger problems with his AD. For the more ... um, peripatetic ... coaches know that, and make sure they're not going to be caught in that position.

First, someone's gotta see it. :D And for a technical foul to be applied there, it has to be intentional, and it has to have an effect on play or a player. Not all gyms are "created equal," some don't have much room for the coach to maneuver up and down the sidelines. Other things may come into play: consider the coach, while addressing his own players, slips and falls on some water from the last time-out, goes down and an opposing player trips over him. That's not going to generate a T. So, like I said, if it's ruled intentional, then you've got to deal with it.
Thanks. Not sure I like that you have to determine "intent" in these situations, as it seems to potentially provide too much leeway. How would you deal with a coach who is chronically on the court and gets hit by a tipped ball that he cannot avoid? His intent wasn't to interfere with play, but his actions put him in position to do so. Does the official call a technical there, or issue a warning?

hey they call it in the NFL they call it in college football so dont know why they wouldnt call it in college BBall. interference is interference.

Thanks. Not sure I like that you have to determine "intent" in these situations, as it seems to potentially provide too much leeway. How would you deal with a coach who is chronically on the court and gets hit by a tipped ball that he cannot avoid? His intent wasn't to interfere with play, but his actions put him in position to do so. Does the official call a technical there, or issue a warning?

Once again, it depends on what the protocol from the NCAA is on that. Generally, though, an offense by a coach has to be egregious before you T him without first having warned him.

hey they call it in the NFL they call it in college football so dont know why they wouldnt call it in college BBall. interference is interference.

Because basketball is not football. They have different rule books, and it's played indoors in gymnasiums that sometimes don't have adequate sideline space.

I'm pretty sure they'd huddle over the monitor for a good solid minute, making it look like they're trying to determine intent, when what they're really saying is "How the F are we gonna handle this?" :cool:

He should have gotten a T one time when right in front of a ref he ran on the court, grabbed one of his players and shoved him towards the other side of the court to where he was supposed to be.

Actually bumped Corbett one time in front of the Tech bench. Corbett used his off arm to nudge him back to the bench (and didn't whistle himself for the offensive foul) but never saw as much as a warning. Guess the "Coach's box" line and the technical foul on obvious flops are unicorn rules. Mythical beasts that no one has ever seen.

Because basketball is not football. They have different rule books, and it's played indoors in gymnasiums that sometimes don't have adequate sideline space.
And yet the "old school" coaches seem to have fewer problems doing so.

I played in a few bandbox gyms in high school and never saw a coach run up and down the floor.

It really felt like we missed every front end of the one and one.

I'll probably be killed for saying this but I was silently fuming during the last 16 seconds - when Cooney had the ball with about 20 seconds left and SU up 57-55, he passed it to Richardson to kill some clock and play monkey in the middle with GT's Smith. GT's Adam Smith had come up to do the expected - commit a foul and Richardson purposely held the ball after the Cooney pass to get fouled with 16 seconds left. Richardson was 1 for 4 till then from the free throw line and a statistically lower option than Cooney. MR should have passed it back to Cooney , he may have gotten the ball back again but at the least, more time would have run off the clock.

Since MR did this we lost the opportunity to kill the bigger enemy, the clock, and also put a riskier free throw shooter at the line. MR made just 1 of 2 making it 58-55 but gave GT the ball with 16 seconds on the clock prompting JB to tell Cooney to foul GT with 10 seconds left which again put us up only 2 when the crazy Gbinije "foul" with 6 seconds left made it only a one point game.

Thankfully GT only made 2 free throws from the fiasco and MR did work his butt off to make up for what I worried could have been a loss because of his decision. We didn't play smart those last few seconds and play the much better odds. Ok - I know I'll be blasted for this. So happy we pulled the win out though!

I'll probably be killed for saying this but I was silently fuming during the last 16 seconds - when Cooney had the ball with about 20 seconds left and SU up 57-55, he passed it to Richardson to kill some clock and play monkey in the middle with GT's Smith. GT's Adam Smith had come up to do the expected - commit a foul and Richardson purposely held the ball after the Cooney pass to get fouled with 16 seconds left. Richardson was 1 for 4 till then from the free throw line and a statistically lower option than Cooney. MR should have passed it back to Cooney , he may have gotten the ball back again but at the least, more time would have run off the clock.

Since MR did this we lost the opportunity to kill the bigger enemy, the clock, and also put a riskier free throw shooter at the line. MR made just 1 of 2 making it 58-55 but gave GT the ball with 16 seconds on the clock prompting JB to tell Cooney to foul GT with 10 seconds left which again put us up only 2 when the crazy Gbinije "foul" with 6 seconds left made it only a one point game.

Thankfully GT only made 2 free throws from the fiasco and MR did work his butt off to make up for what I worried could have been a loss because of his decision. We didn't play smart those last few seconds and play the much better odds. Ok - I know I'll be blasted for this. So happy we pulled the win out though!

Exactly! I meant to point this out so thanks for reminding me. I was upset by the same thing. Cooney should have kept the ball or Mal passed it right back to him.

Unlike Pitino, at least Buzz Williams has some class. I remember when we beat them in the NCAA tournament a few years ago and he had nothing but nice things to say about how well the Orange played. Unlike the time when we beat LVille and in the post game interview Pitino was going off on how bad his kids were playing. Pitino never said a thing about how well the Orange played or that they deserved to win. Pitino is still a much bigger jack donkey than Buzz will ever be!
The only good thing Pitino ever did for Syracuse was to introduce JB to Juli.

I actually yelled "What are you doing!?!?"at the computer when Cooney made that pass to MR

Exactly! I meant to point this out so thanks for reminding me. I was upset by the same thing. Cooney should have kept the ball or Mal passed it right back to him.

I think Cooney made the right decision to pass, run the clock and make GT play monkey in the middle forcing them to pull out - Richardson made a poor one.

I actually yelled "What are you doing!?!?"at the computer when Cooney made that pass to MR

I thought it when MR tucked it and didn't return the pass. The clock is the enemy at this stage of the game and possession is key.

I think Cooney made the right decision to pass, run the clock and make GT play monkey in the middle forcing them to pull out - Richardson made a poor one.

Looked to me like TC just stood there and allowed himself to be covered, rather than busting his buns to get open for a return pass. Fatigue?

Looked to me like TC just stood there and allowed himself to be covered, rather than busting his buns to get open for a return pass. Fatigue?

TC was open and uncovered as Smith ran towards MR, Mal held it waiting for Smith to come over and foul him.

Ehh... Mali would have had to make a tough pass. I didnt want Mali at the line either, but I really didnt want him to force anything but an easy pass that could have been stolen. Ultimately, Mali did his job the last 20 seconds.

TC was open and uncovered as Smith ran towards MR, Mal held it waiting for Smith to come over and foul him.

no, there was a 2nd defender creeping on cooney IIRC. I remember thinking it live because i wanted to be mad at Mali, but never rewound to confirm. But from what I saw out of the corner of my eye I thought the 2nd defender would have been able to make a run at an open court steal if Mali passed back to Cooney.

The only good thing Pitino ever did for Syracuse was to introduce JB to Juli.

I really like how JB handles the post game interview. He always praises our competition whether we win or lose. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Why would you ever talk down your opponent. You are only ever as good as your competition. I think it makes good sense to talk up everyone we play. Plus it's really classy in my opinion. It's a win-win in my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom