Latest I know: and there are 6 Scenarios being looked at... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Latest I know: and there are 6 Scenarios being looked at...

(c)
Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS]
A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two
divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

You have to play everyone in your division to determine a true divisional champion.

FWIW, that is the rule that forever f*cked up college sports.

A rule that was made for DIVISION THREE and stupidly applied to Division 1 when the SEC asked to have a conference champ game with 11 members.

THANKS, NCAA!!!

:bang::bang::bang:

A rule that was made for DIVISION THREE and stupidly applied to Division 1 when the SEC asked to have a conference champ game with 11 members.

THANKS, NCAA!!!

Remember when the ACC petitioned to hold a championship game with 11 teams and was turned down? That led to BC's invite.

Turned down. No, that's against the rules. It could lead to a competitive advantage for someone.

How this is a real organization is beyond me.

That's the problem with the 4 x 16 model. You have to play all 7 teams in your division every year.

Do you only play 2 out of 8 in the other division to fill out a 9 game conference schedule?

Or keep an 8 game conference schedule and play only 1 team on the other side every year.

Will we see an 11 game conference schedule in the future? Especially if the NCAA allows a 13 game regular season?

Something to consider.

THANKS, NCAA!!!

I'll go with SCOTUS's decision in 1984 that ruled the CFA violated the Sherman Antitrust Act.

Nobody jumped conferences back when everyone made the same TV money.

Remember when the ACC petitioned to hold a championship game with 11 teams and was turned down? That led to BC's invite.

Turned down. No, that's against the rules. It could lead to a competitive advantage for someone.

How this is a real organization is beyond me.

If the NCAA had just let the SEC have a champ game with 11 teams 20+ years ago they never would have had to poach Arkansas from the SWC. Then the SWC-remnants wouldn't have needed to have a Big TWELVE, which led to such dysfunction. And then the ACC would have just taken Miami in 2003. And then the obsessive drive for every g*dd*mn conference to get to 12 wouldn't have been necessary either.

It literally drove ALL of this realignment nonsense for two decades.

I'll go with SCOTUS's decision in 1984 that ruled the CFA violated the Sherman Antitrust Act.

Nobody jumped conferences back when everyone made the same TV money.

That was actually the correct decision, from a legal standpoint though.

What the NCAA has maintained is entirely arbitrary.

If the NCAA had just let the SEC have a champ game with 11 teams 20+ years ago they never would have had to poach Arkansas from the SWC. Then the SWC-remnants wouldn't have needed to have a Big TWELVE, which led to such dysfunction. And then the ACC would have just taken Miami in 2003. And then the obsessive drive for every g*dd*mn conference to get to 12 wouldn't have been necessary either.

And ironically, now the Big 12 seems content with NOT having a conference championship game. Otherwise, Louisville and Cincy would be in that league right now.

That's the problem with the 4 x 16 model. You have to play all 7 teams in your division every year.

Do you only play 2 out of 8 in the other division to fill out a 9 game conference schedule?

Or keep an 8 game conference schedule and play only 1 team on the other side every year.

Will we see an 11 game conference schedule in the future? Especially if the NCAA allows a 13 game regular season?

Something to consider.

Clay Travis has discussed this in the past. The 4x16 model would lead to pods, with four teams in each pod and four pods per conference. The superconferences would probably redefine the rules for the championship games if and when it comes to that.

Clay Travis has discussed this in the past. The 4x16 model would lead to pods, with four teams in each pod and four pods per conference. The superconferences would probably redefine the rules for the championship games if and when it comes to that.
With apologies to kingottoiii, I will believe pods when I see them.

And eventually be in a position to divorce the NCAA altogether. That way they keep everything in their grubby little hands.

And eventually be in a position to divorce the NCAA altogether. That way they keep everything in their grubby little hands.

Yep, and with 64 teams they have their own basketball tournament, too.

Yep, and with 64 teams they have their own basketball tournament, too.

That's not all. Part of the endgame is also athletes being paid. Big State schools hate seeing Syracuse or some other smaller schools beat them in non football sports. They would now channel their 100 mil per year from the football team into getting the best basketball players, making schools that are outside looking in (or in poor big boy conferences) not very competitive on the national level.

In the end the only winners will be ND, Texas, Michigan State, and Ohio State. Some other major football powerhouses will be competitive. No one else will be able to match the salaries.

How about if the fate of eastern football hadn't been placed in the hands of a bunch of idiots from Providence.

Holy cow this thread is a bunch of crazytalk. Everyone needs to step away from that ledge...

Holy cow this thread is a bunch of crazytalk. Everyone needs to step away from that ledge...
ironworker_john_jay.jpg

Find out what it would take to ND on board full time if they say nothing kick them out now that forces them into the B1G along with probably Pitt. The ACC has 12 teams again, and the ACC can decide if it wants to go back to 14 or just remain at 12. If the ACC has to add a school pick whomever FSU/Clemson want and be done with it.

Is Peter pan our athletic director? Because your post is no where near based in reality...

Is Peter pan our athletic director? Because your post is no where near based in reality...
No where near reality, dude I am being objective. The ACC is done, this is just the first domino of many to follow. The B1G wants ND and the ACC has the parasite affiliated with the conference. The first call the ACC should make is to ND obviously and they will say no to full membership. The ACC should realize this realignment endgame is Notre Dame and keeping them as an associate member is not helpful and should end their membership. If ND agreed to join the B1G as 15 the most likely 16th team would be Pittsburgh as they are the best candidate IMO. You are in Never Neverland if you don't realize that the B1G is starting a pre-emptive war on the ACC. The SEC will sniff around UNC, NCSU, VPI and the B1G will be interested in UVA, UNC if ND isn't interested. We are in trouble and to keep Florida State and Clemson happy they could look to the B12 and that is why the ACC should pick as the new 14th team whomever Florida State and Clemson believe is the best fit.

So, I kind of asked this yesterday, but will throw it out there again. What is stopping the ACC from creating an ACC Network? Is it cost prohibitive? Is it a fear that it won't be easily added like BTN was?

We're watching a conference who created a regional network take over the world. They're grabbing mediocre programs (and admitting it by the way) and making a ton of money off it, enough to split a pot from 12 to 14 ways and still make a ton of money. This doesn't strike anyone as odd? Where is the ACCN?

Need to have the come to Jesus moment with ND. Telling them, look you signed onto this, what do you want it to be? Because there's one way to make it all it can be. So what do you need to make it worth your while.

ACCN and ND would be much higher up on the priority list than adding any school from that list Mark posted. I'd rather stay at 13, wait out ND, and pocket the extra $1M per year, rather than rush to the even number because odd #'s terrify people.

Didn't they give away their Tier 3 rights to ESPN? That would be why, and that would be why some people are pissed at Swofford.

No where near reality, dude I am being objective. The ACC is done, this is just the first domino of many to follow. The B1G wants ND and the ACC has the parasite affiliated with the conference. The first call the ACC should make is to ND obviously and they will say no to full membership. The ACC should realize this realignment endgame is Notre Dame and keeping them as an associate member is not helpful and should end their membership. If ND agreed to join the B1G as 15 the most likely 16th team would be Pittsburgh as they are the best candidate IMO. You are in Never Neverland if you don't realize that the B1G is starting a pre-emptive war on the ACC. The SEC will sniff around UNC, NCSU, VPI and the B1G will be interested in UVA, UNC if ND isn't interested. We are in trouble and to keep Florida State and Clemson happy they could look to the B12 and that is why the ACC should pick as the new 14th team whomever Florida State and Clemson believe is the best fit.

This ACC is done talk is kind of funny. It's not like there's room for all these schools in another conference. The ACC will survive as a strong conference. It may earn somewhat less than the Big 10 and the SEC, but it will pay enough money to allow us to finance our athletic dept. a lot better than we do now.

This ACC is done talk is kind of funny. It's not like there's room for all these schools in another conference. The ACC will survive as a strong conference. It may earn somewhat less than the Big 10 and the SEC, but it will pay enough money to allow us to finance our athletic dept. a lot better than we do now.

I'll put it this way. The ACC isn't done, but it also isn't as secure as it was 48 or 72 hours ago. There is a path to it's demise, and even if it's only a 5 percent shot, that's a lot higher than zero.

While most of the schools in the ACC will definitely survive with a seat at the table, it's not going to be any fun to be in the worst major conference that is just the leftovers from the Midwest and the East coast.

With that in mind, the only acceptable approach is aggression - both as a conference and as a school.

THE SKY IS FALLING...not. The league is nowhere near done. And btw, the B1G has less interest in Pitt than they do in SU.

THE SKY IS FALLING...not. The league is nowhere near done. And btw, the B1G has less interest in Pitt than they do in SU.
I am realist and not going to spin things. We are screwed if you don't believe this fine, but its not because you are analyzing the facts. The ACC isn't stable more schools will jump. SU is not high on the B1G list and thus we are screwed unless the Pac-12 is able to pry away Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. Pitt has a greater shot than SU of ending up in the B1G there is no doubt/

I am realist and not going to spin things. We are screwed if you don't believe this fine, but its not because you are analyzing the facts. The ACC isn't stable more schools will jump. SU is not high on the B1G list and thus we are screwed unless the Pac-12 is able to pry away Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. Pitt has a greater shot than SU of ending up in the B1G there is no doubt/

Stop talking in absolutes. "There is no doubt" my ass. You have no idea of what the B1Gs long term plan is. Stop pretending you do.

You sound like me after Obama won. We are still here though! Ha!

Stop talking in absolutes. "There is no doubt" my ass. You have no idea of what the B1Gs long term plan is. Stop pretending you do.
I understand its depressing to read and it hurts to say it, but there is very little chance like .00000000000001% we end up in the B1G. When ND decides on a conference it is likely they will have some say as to whom the 16th school is for the B1G. The choices will be among BC, SU, Pitt, UVA, UNC, Ga. Tech. I believe it is highly unlikely we are that 16th team. Does that make it sound better? We have to be objective here or we are going to become even more depressed. Understanding we are in big trouble now softens the blow when more ACC school start defecting. Would I love to be wrong here? HELL YES, but I am honestly not expecting the good news we all want. I wanted 175 on the LSAT so I could go Harvard or Yale for law school instead I expected to get atleast a 160 so I could go to a good law school. So when I got a 166 I was disappointed I didn't get what I wanted, but did good enough to get into Boston College.. SU WANTS interest from the B1G to save them, but just has to hope the Big XII becomes destabilized to maintain a seat at the big boy table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom