Latest I know: and there are 6 Scenarios being looked at... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Latest I know: and there are 6 Scenarios being looked at...

I understand its depressing to read and it hurts to say it, but there is very little chance like .00000000000001% we end up in the B1G. When ND decides on a conference it is likely they will have some say as to whom the 16th school is for the B1G. The choices will be among BC, SU, Pitt, UVA, UNC, Ga. Tech. I believe it is highly unlikely we are that 16th team. Does that make it sound better? We have to be objective here or we are going to become even more depressed. Understanding we are in big trouble now softens the blow when more ACC school start defecting. Would I love to be wrong here? HELL YES, but I am honestly not expecting the good news we all want. I wanted 175 on the LSAT so I could go Harvard or Yale for law school instead I expected to get atleast a 160 so I could go to a good law school. So when I got a 166 I was disappointed I didn't get what I wanted, but did good enough to get into Boston College.. SU WANTS interest from the B1G to save them, but just has to hope the Big XII becomes destabilized to maintain a seat at the big boy table.

Again, you are passing off an opinion as fact. You haven't a clue what's going on behind closed doors. The good news is you're going to make a helluva lawyer though.

Didn't they give away their Tier 3 rights to ESPN? That would be why, and that would be why some people are pissed at Swofford.

There was a thread about this very topic back when all of the FSU crap was going on. One of the ACC bigwigs, and I think it may have been Swofford, explained the entire TV rights deal with ESPN. He did not give away the third teir rights. That was Internet BS and someone at FSU not doing their homework before releasing a statement.

There was a thread about this very topic back when all of the FSU crap was going on. One of the ACC bigwigs, and I think it may have been Swofford, explained the entire TV rights deal with ESPN. He did not give away the third teir rights. That was Internet BS and someone at FSU not doing their homework before releasing a statement.
Correct individual schools keep things like coaches shows, radio networks and things like the TWC contract...Schools like SU, FSU, UNC all earn north of $5M a year.

Again, you are passing off an opinion as fact. You haven't a clue what's going on behind closed doors. The good news is you're going to make a helluva lawyer though.
I agree with you I am not stating facts I am stating realistic objective opinion. I honestly don't like what I am saying, but its where I honestly see things going. If we got an invite to the B1G I would cut a check tomorrow to SU to contribute to the 50 million dollar buyout, but I honestly don't like where things are going. Somebody posted last night Delany and Slive are like Roosevelt and Stalin enemies teaming up to destroy all other threats so their "cold" war can dominate college sports. We are headed to tough times, but I honestly hope I am wrong. When somebody like Coach K is sounding the alarms you gotta listen.

I agree with you I am not stating facts I am stating realistic objective opinion. I honestly don't like what I am saying, but its where I honestly see things going. If we got an invite to the B1G I would cut a check tomorrow to SU to contribute to the 50 million dollar buyout, but I honestly don't like where things are going. Somebody posted last night Delany and Slive are like Roosevelt and Stalin enemies teaming up to destroy all other threats so their "cold" war can dominate college sports. We are headed to tough times, but I honestly hope I am wrong. When somebody like Coach K is sounding the alarms you gotta listen.

Don't you think if it gets that bad...the gov't won't get involved? We got Dems in office right now and they love fighting this crap.

The ACC is not dead, it's no where near dea, and never will be.

Look at the BE, Look how many hits that conference has taken in the last 10 years, and it is still alive and kicking.

The ACC was stronger than the BE was 10 years ago, and can take more hits than the BE can and still survive.

It may not be what is was 2 days ago (it could easily be better if no one else leaves), but it's not gonna die under any scenario.

Don't you think if it gets that bad...the gov't won't get involved? We got Dems in office right now and they love fighting this crap.
I've never been for the Government to get involved in sports but this is just so overtly corrupt. Its literally in your face, over the top greed. This realignment stuff makes Gordan Gecko look tame.

Somebody needs to call up Vice President Biden no joke, he has helped SU out in the past. If at the very worst just to do due diligence. When you are fighting for survival don't leave any stone unturned. I had classes at SU with former Sen. Tom Daschle's daughter hell call him up he is a big lobbyist on K street. Any other politicians with SU connections? I would do whatever it takes to ensure we don't get the worst possible outcome.

I am realist and not going to spin things. We are screwed if you don't believe this fine, but its not because you are analyzing the facts. The ACC isn't stable more schools will jump. SU is not high on the B1G list and thus we are screwed unless the Pac-12 is able to pry away Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. Pitt has a greater shot than SU of ending up in the B1G there is no doubt/

By "screwed" here's what we're talking about - we will be in the 5th best major conference, taking in roughly $10-12M MORE per year than we did in the Big East, for the next 12 years. We will also be in the best basketball conference in America, and we will have the easiest conference to win if we hope to make the Championship playoffs.

If Florida State and Clemson consider leaving the conference, that would certainly hurt the ACC's football status, but those 2 teams would only leave for the SEC, and the SEC hasn't been the one making the moves in this go-round of realignment.

Yes, the Notre Dame situation is awkward, but so far, they are 1 foot in the ACC camp, and more likely to join that auto qualifier conference than the Big 10, based on having already turned down the Big 10 for not being a great fit in terms of academic profile and location of alumni base.

These "doomsday" scenarios that talk about the ACC collapsing are dramatic and make for great reading in a "horror novel" kind of way, but where exactly are all these defecting teams going to go ? To the Big 12, which a year ago was also on the verge of collapse because of Texas' unequal share in league revenues due to its LHN?

I kind of doubt that all these leagues suddenly jump to 16 teams - as I read the articles, it seems awfully hard to make a 16 team football league work from a scheduling perspective - you play the teams in the other division once every 4 years. That's not a true "league", that's a confederation. I think 14 is the max that actually works for football, unless they agree to increase the number of games that teams can play.

So, yes, the ACC looks unstable right now. But the Big East is literally going out of business in the next few weeks. We could still be there, folks. That would be doomsday.

The ACC is not dead, it's no where near dea, and never will be.

Look at the BE, Look how many hits that conference has taken in the last 10 years, and it is still alive and kicking.

The ACC was stronger than the BE was 10 years ago, and can take more hits than the BE can and still survive.

It may not be what is was 2 days ago (it could easily be better if no one else leaves), but it's not gonna die under any scenario.

The Big East is dead. The western schools are in talks to go back to the MWC. There will likely be no football contract and the hoops schools will likely split off now.

By "screwed" here's what we're talking about - we will be in the 5th best major conference, taking in roughly $10-12M MORE per year than we did in the Big East, for the next 12 years. We will also be in the best basketball conference in America, and we will have the easiest conference to win if we hope to make the Championship playoffs.

If Florida State and Clemson consider leaving the conference, that would certainly hurt the ACC's football status, but those 2 teams would only leave for the SEC, and the SEC hasn't been the one making the moves in this go-round of realignment.

Yes, the Notre Dame situation is awkward, but so far, they are 1 foot in the ACC camp, and more likely to join that auto qualifier conference than the Big 10, based on having already turned down the Big 10 for not being a great fit in terms of academic profile and location of alumni base.

These "doomsday" scenarios that talk about the ACC collapsing are dramatic and make for great reading in a "horror novel" kind of way, but where exactly are all these defecting teams going to go ? To the Big 12, which a year ago was also on the verge of collapse because of Texas' unequal share in league revenues due to its LHN?

I kind of doubt that all these leagues suddenly jump to 16 teams - as I read the articles, it seems awfully hard to make a 16 team football league work from a scheduling perspective - you play the teams in the other division once every 4 years. That's not a true "league", that's a confederation. I think 14 is the max that actually works for football, unless they agree to increase the number of games that teams can play.

So, yes, the ACC looks unstable right now. But the Big East is literally going out of business in the next few weeks. We could still be there, folks. That would be doomsday.
I agree, despite what Alsacs says, which is all based on his own opinion, the Big XII is just as vulnerable as the ACC. The Big XII is just lucky that at the moment it is the B1G looking to expand and not the Pac-10. When the Pac-10 looks to expand where do you think they are raiding? If the ACC can re-stabilize after Maryland leaving, I think we are in fine shape and ND has turned down the B1G before, if the ACC is on solid footing it seems that if ND joins an AQ it would be the ACC. Also the SEC has no reason to go after Clemson and FSU because they are already in those markets, not too mention UF going ballistic along with some other schools if they tried to add them. We're all freaking out because a seemingly stable conference with a 50 mil exit fee just lost a mediocre team so we see a chink in the armor, however the chances the ACC turns out to be fine are higher than the chances the conference falls apart.

The ACC is vulnerable, SU is not. It's a numbers game. When Rutgers joins the Big 10, that will be 64 teams (including ND) in the top five conferences. All of those teams are safe no matter what happens. That changes once teams like UConn and Louisville are thrown into the mix, but it won't be at the expense of SU.

I agree, despite what Alsacs says, which is all based on his own opinion, the Big XII is just as vulnerable as the ACC. The Big XII is just lucky that at the moment it is the B1G looking to expand and not the Pac-10. When the Pac-10 looks to expand where do you think they are raiding? If the ACC can re-stabilize after Maryland leaving, I think we are in fine shape and ND has turned down the B1G before, if the ACC is on solid footing it seems that if ND joins an AQ it would be the ACC. Also the SEC has no reason to go after Clemson and FSU because they are already in those markets, not too mention UF going ballistic along with some other schools if they tried to add them. We're all freaking out because a seemingly stable conference with a 50 mil exit fee just lost a mediocre team so we see a chink in the armor, however the chances the ACC turns out to be fine are higher than the chances the conference falls apart.

Ahh...a voice of reason...refreshing.

This move by Delaney is basically giving ND and their decision makers a major FU! We'll just play hardball and put the pressure on you to commit as a full to the B1G, force their hand sort of speak. If anything, I can see ND being even more committed to the ACC, as to say, okay, you want to F with us...we'll turn this into the Crusades, part II. :mad: :)

Charlotte radio is already discussing Florida State and Clemson will start looking to the Big XII. I am not saying we are DEAD as a program our conference situation is just going to get uglier.

Charlotte radio is already discussing Florida State and Clemson will start looking to the Big XII. I am not saying we are DEAD as a program our conference situation is just going to get uglier.

So silly. Administrators from colleges talk to folks at other conferences ALL THE TIME. It's part of their responsibility to their universities.

FSU and Clemson will do what they think is best for them, be it tomorrow, 6 months from now, 6 years from now, or 60 years from now. Every other school will do the same.

If they leave, they leave. If they stay, they stay.

Apocalyptic visions of the future are a waste of time.

Do they have an actual source or are they just speculating?

At the end of the day, the leftovers from the ACC and Big 12 will merge. It's that simple. So we're either in that conference or the Big 10.

Do they have an actual source or are they just speculating?

At the end of the day, the leftovers from the ACC and Big 12 will merge. It's that simple. So we're either in that conference or the Big 10.
This actually makes alot of sense if the ACC gets raided, which will mean it was raided by the SEC and B1G, which will in turn force the Pac to raid the Big XII, leaving a decimated ACC and Big XII joining to form the 4th superconference along with the B1G, SEC and Pac. Im still hoping the ACC stays intact, I just cant imagine a scenario where the East Coast doesnt have a major conference.

I wouldn't add both USF and UCF...either/or. If FSU/Miami wants it you do it. I think we need to get to 15/16 right away. Divisions have to make sense for the FB powers. Ultimately getting to 17/18 makes a ton of sense. Increased inventory and the chance to to be the BE in BB and a better ACC in FB.
you think FSU/Miami would want usf or ucf... come on Mark, you're smarter than that... they want usf and ucf to be Lemoyne...

This actually makes alot of sense if the ACC gets raided, which will mean it was raided by the SEC and B1G, which will in turn force the Pac to raid the Big XII, leaving a decimated ACC and Big XII joining to form the 4th superconference along with the B1G, SEC and Pac. Im still hoping the ACC stays intact, I just cant imagine a scenario where the East Coast doesnt have a major conference.

If the big ten annexes NC and Virginia with rutgers, maryland, and penn state they're kinda there.

No where near reality, dude I am being objective

Your separation from reality:

A) we let ND in as a partial member, like it or not. We're not now kicking them out if they don't go to a full member. That would just be bad business.

B) you want us to grab whoever FSU and Clemson want and be done with it, as if it's a simple request. Who do you think is out there that they would REALLY want that there is a legitimate shot of getting? Maybe we can clone Alabama or something...

I've never been for the Government to get involved in sports but this is just so overtly corrupt. Its literally in your face, over the top greed. This realignment stuff makes Gordan Gecko look tame.

Corruption and greed are two totally seperate things...

Swap out Maryland for Notre Dame = 14 / hit up ESPN for big bucks - Done

Swap out Maryland for Notre Dame = 14 / hit up ESPN for big bucks - Done

ND will probably want concessions that they will be on ABC in the prime slots for all home games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom