LeMoyne College exploring move to D1 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

LeMoyne College exploring move to D1

Hopefully Le Moyne thrives and this move helps them continue to grow. Tutoring Le Moyne students has put a lot of stumpies through college, after all.
All of my Bio major friends became Business majors after Organic Chem, so they must have missed the fliers.

It’s almost like these institutions are getting g out of the education business and getting into the sports business.

It’s almost like these institutions are getting g out of the education business and getting into the sports business.
George Mason saw a 22% jump in applications after they made the Final Four in 2006.

Butler saw applications rise 50% between 2009 and 2011.

St. Peters' saw a similar jump in applications last spring after they made the Elite 8.

Schools see sports as a promotional tool, and there's evidence it works. That's the whole reason Le Moyne is going D1.

George Mason saw a 22% jump in applications after they made the Final Four in 2006.

St. Peters' saw a similar jump in applications last spring after they made the Elite 8.

Schools see sports as a promotional tool, and there's evidence it works. That's the whole reason Le Moyne is going D1.
That’s wild

Yup. But now college enrollments are falling like a Duke player playing defense.

Fortune Magazine Article 2023

That’s wild
That's the so-called "Flutie Effect". BC saw a rise in applications after Flutie-to-Phelan. Athletic success doesn't increase contributions to academic side of the house, per several peer-reviewed studies.

That's the so-called "Flutie Effect". BC saw a rise in applications after Flutie-to-Phelan. Athletic success doesn't increase contributions to academic side of the house, per several peer-reviewed studies.
This is a play for survival. Le Moyne has an undergrad population of ~2,500 and is mostly a townie / commuter school in a shrinking area.

This is a play for survival. Le Moyne has an undergrad population of ~2,500 and is mostly a townie / commuter school in a shrinking area.
And the "Flutie Effect" of moving up to D-1 is probably the exact thing they need to bolster enrollment. This is a smart move on LeMoyne's part, IMO. While it will cost them more to be in the NEC than in D-2, it's not as much of an increase as it would be if they were moving up from D-3 or moving from D-2 to P-5 or G-5 conference.

I can assure you that is not an accurate statement. They've set records for applications/accepted students several times in the past few years and have brought in their largest freshman classes in the school's history multiple times over the past decade. It's not about survival, it's about D2 athletics no longer being a good fit for them, mostly from a geographical perspective.

I can assure you that is not an accurate statement. They've set records for applications/accepted students several times in the past few years and have brought in their largest freshman classes in the school's history multiple times over the past decade. It's not about survival, it's about D2 athletics no longer being a good fit for them, mostly from a geographical perspective.
You’d know better than I if I’m misreading the tea leaves. I remember Dr. Lemura saying something along the lines of doing this to raise profile, though.