Let’s Talk About Improved JMA Wireless Dome Internet Access | Syracusefan.com

Let’s Talk About Improved JMA Wireless Dome Internet Access

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
The word on the street is that when the dome opens for football, it will have vastly improved connectivity to the Internet. I believe the primary focus has been getting state of the art 5G in place at the facility. I think they are also going to have improved ILE connectivity and the WiFi will also be markedly improved.

If you want to use the 5G connectivity (pretty sure this offers the fastest speeds one can have in the dome), you need a relatively new phone. If you are an iPhone person, you need an iPhone 12 or higher to be able to connect. I got a new phone in the spring and one of the reasons was so I could take advantage of 5G at the dome.

This article talks about the 5G solution that was put in place at Sofi for the Super Bowl last spring. I believe John Mezzalinga, the CEO of JMA, promised the dome would have a similar solution,

I have been expecting a detailed article in the PS on the 5G/Wireless solution JMA is installing but to date, they have pretty much ignored the story. I think it is impoirtant to talk about it so people know what type of phone they will need to be able to take advantage of the new technology. I also keep hoping someone technical from JMA will weigh in with some comments and background for Syracuse fans, especially given that the Post Standard is struggling to cover this important subject.

Did anyone attend the heavy metal concert at the dome last night? If so, did you happen to check the wifi speed? Did you check the type of cell connection your phone got? If so, was it 5G? We are less than a month away. They have to be done, or really close to done on this.

In a perfect world, I will be able to listen to the game on radio from my phone, while also monitoring the game stats from an app (hopefully the Cuse app), while also running the live broadcast of the game in the background, in case I want to hear what the announcers are saying during an injury, or to watch a replay the done didn’t show well. I would also like to monitor out of town scores and switch to other games during time outs.

Hoping all this is possible. I got a little extra memory in my new phone to help with this.

The center hung scoreboard is terrific and a great addition. The AC only matters for one or two games a year but it really nice.

The lights are lights. Not that exciting but I am glad they work and have some modest additional capabilities. The sound system is finally to the point now where it is okay. Not great but okay,

I would like a more comfortable seat but would rather keep what I have now and retain the seats I have now for football and basketball. That ‘enhancement’ will actually be a penalty to me.

I think a great Wi-Fi/5G setup is going to be the most important and most welcomed enhancement of them all. I am really excited about it and really looking forward to it.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited:
The word on the street is that when the dome opens for football, it will have vastly improved connectivity to the Internet. I believe the primary focus has been getting state of the art 5G in place at the facility. I think they are also going to have improved ILE connectivity and the WiFi will also be markedly improved.

If you want to use the 5G connectivity (pretty sure this offers the fastest speeds one can have in the dome), you need a relatively new phone. If you are an iPhone person, you need an iPhone 12 or higher to be able to connect. I got a new phone in the spring and one of the reasons was so I could take advantage of 5G at the dome.

This article talks about the 5G solution that was put in place at Sofi for the Super Bowl last spring. I believe John Mezzalinga, the CEO of JMA, promised the dome would have a similar solution,

I have been expecting a detailed article in the PS on the 5G/Wireless solution JMA is installing but to date, they have pretty much ignored the story. I think it is impoirtant to talk about it so people know what type of phone they will need to be able to take advantage of the new technology. I also keep hoping someone technical from JMA will weigh in with some comments and background for Syracuse fans, especially given that the Post Standard is struggling to cover this important subject.

Did anyone attend the heavy metal concert at the dome last night? If so, did you happen to check the wifi speed? Did you check the type of cell connection your phone got? If so, was it 5G? We are less than a month away. They have to be done, or really close to done on this.

In a perfect world, I will be able to listen to the game on radio from my phone, while also monitoring the game stats from an app (hopefully the Cuse app), while also running the live broadcast of the game in the background, in case I want to hear what the announcers are saying during an injury, or to watch a replay the done didn’t show well. I would also like to monitor out of town scores and switch to other games during time outs.

Hoping all this is possible. I got a little extra memory in my new phone to help with this.

The center hung scoreboard is terrific and a great addition. The AC only matters for one or two games a year but it really nice.

The lights are lights. Not that exciting but I am glad they work and have some modest additional capabilities. The sound system is finally to the point now where it is okay. Not great but okay,

I would like a more comfortable seat but would rather keep what I have now and retain the seats I have now for football and basketball. That ‘enhancement’ will actually be a penalty to me.

I think a great Wi-Fi/5G setup is going to be the most important and most welcomed enhancement of them all. I am really excited about it and really looking forward to it.

What does everyone else think?

Of
I asked Chris Carlson if he had any updates on the Twitter. Will report back if he replies.

5G in the Dome will be a game changer for those that want to use their phones. On my phone I really can’t tell a difference in speed between my home WiFi and 5G.

5G in the Dome will be a game changer for those that want to use their phones. On my phone I really can’t tell a difference in speed between my home WiFi and 5G.
Really? I can download a webpage on 5g in .25 seconds. On my wifi it's taking me a full half second to download that same page. Who has that kind of time to waste?
With 5g, I have so much more time at the end of every day now.

I’m not a telecommunications guy, but I would assume if your phone does not have 5G capability, it will just connect at 4G. Is that incorrect?

I wish the sound system was better. Have they been working on that, Tom? I have an 8 phone so don’t think the 5G will help me much but who knows? I text a lot during the game time outs, of which there are way too many.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that there are no metal heads on this board who checked their clock speed at last night's show.

I'm a metal head, but not close to Syracuse.

I had a few friends at the concert last night. One sent me pictures of Alice Cooper. I got them pretty fast. I don’t know if that means anything.

As you know from the group text thread, was there last night and 5G was coming through/dramatically improved Wi-Fi on Justin’s phone. Faster on my old phone too as I was sending out pics and vids to you guys.

Think you’re gonna b over the moon with the dome improvements, and once the new seating is done, yeah we can’t complain about things in the dome. The lead singer of Def Leppard was Gagga over the place.

I wish the sound system was better. Have they been working on that, Tom? I have an 8 phone so don’t think the 5G will help me much but who knows? I text a lot during the game time outs, of which there are way too many.
Pete Sala has said repeatedly his crew is always working to fine tune and improve things at the dome. I know they have tweaked the sound system many times. Hopefully we hear some more improvements this fall.

I’m not a telecommunications guy, but I would assume if your phone does not have 5G capability, it will just connect at 4G. Is that incorrect?
I am assuming the dome solution will work like the solution at Sofi. That was the goal John M had from the presser where JMA was introduced as the new name sponsor for the facility.

My understanding is that you will see improvements with a 4G or LTE phone. They won't be as dramatic but things will be improved. If you can't even get LTE with your phone, your cell performance will not be affected. But you can connect with wifi and see significant improvements there.

Old phones don't have the hardware in them to make much use of the massive bandwidth improvement anyway.

If you have been sitting on the fence about getting a new phone, this might be a good time to buy one. Assuming you go to games and use your phone at them.

I think the day will soon be here when you can order food from your phone and get told when it is ready for pickup. Doubtful it will get delivered in most areas because of the narrow concourses but if you opt to sit in a ritzy new premium area, I bet there will be food delivery. Maybe some premium options that the common folk don't get either.

They can do super cool things with holograms you see on your phone that make locations in the dome interactive. At some point, you will be able to pick from multiple cameras to watch the game from. Lots of really cool things become possible once you have top notch connectivity in a sports facility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom