Let’s Talk About Improved JMA Wireless Dome Internet Access | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let’s Talk About Improved JMA Wireless Dome Internet Access

sometimes during breaks it would handy to check scores
This, especially since they don't show a lot of out of town scores on the boards in the Dome. It would also be nice to get text messages in real time, instead of being blasted with 3 1/2 hours worth of texts when I'm walking to the parking lot after the game.

JMA has committed to providing high speed 5G access for all three major carriers (I think there are three) over the entire campus.

Fans should see a major difference as soon as they near the campus perimeter.
Is spectrum one of the three?

Is spectrum one of the three?
Yes and no. Spectrum doesn’t have a network. They have no cell towers. They use the Verizon network.

I would be shocked if the JMA solution doesn’t have boosters/repeaters for Verizon. You should be fine.

There are three major networks in the US for cell phones. Verizon AT&T and T-Mobile. Sofi has equipment to ensure customers for all three will have strong 5G signals and lots of bandwidth in the dome. And as mentioned, Sofi has 4G (LTE) covered too.

If you don’t even get an LTE connection on your phone, it is really old and you might get no benefit. Maybe you can use the Wi-Fi but if your phone is old, that is probably going to be of limited help as well.

Hoping the Sidearm developers that work on the Cuse app have been busy adding cool new features to take advantage of 5G and super fast Wi-Fi. I have the need for speed!

Yes and no. Spectrum doesn’t have a network. They have no cell towers. They use the Verizon network.

I would be shocked if the JMA solution doesn’t have boosters/repeaters for Verizon. You should be fine.

There are three major networks in the US for cell phones. Verizon AT&T and T-Mobile. Sofi has equipment to ensure customers for all three will have strong 5G signals and lots of bandwidth in the dome. And as mentioned, Sofi has 4G (LTE) covered too.

If you don’t even get an LTE connection on your phone, it is really old and you might get no benefit. Maybe you can use the Wi-Fi but if your phone is old, that is probably going to be of limited help as well.

Hoping the Sidearm developers that work on the Cuse app have been busy adding cool new features to take advantage of 5G and super fast Wi-Fi. I have the need for speed!
My spectrum service runs on A T & T towers so i think its an either or depending on your home address

My spectrum service runs on A T & T towers so i think its an either or depending on your home address
Pretty sure Spectrum uses AT&T exclusively but it really doesn’t matter, at least as far as quality of service in the dome. Both should be excellent.

My personal cell is Spectrum and my work cell is AT&T. I will test both and see which gets better performance. Expecting the AT&T will because of the Verizon MVNO (which gives Verizon customers priority over Spectrum customers during periods of high usage).

It will be interesting to see if there are any differences in download speeds.

John Mezzalinga (sp?), the CEO of JMA Wireless, said that the dome will have the same solution as that installed at Sofi Stadium, which hosted the 2022 Super Bowl.

I am pasting a couple of paragraphs from an article on the Sofi network, which I am assuming will also be true at the dome. Sounds like yes, you will see a noticeable improvement. But not as dramatic as people will who have phones capable of 5G.

I believe the stadium Wi-Fi is also getting a major upgrade. That happened at Sofi.

Tailgaters, note the second paragraph. Hoping JMA is going to throw up some MatSing antennas pointed at the Western parking lots. The tailgating community likes to watch games while tailgating and eating and this would be a wonderful thing many of us would love to see happen.

T-Mobile, which uses different spectrum bands than AT&T and Verizon, said it will have its 5G services available at 2.5 GHz, 24 GHz and 39 GHz. And all three carriers are fully participating on the stadium's 4G LTE DAS, which is one of the largest ever built. The DAS, using gear from JMA Wireless and designed by JMA with deployment partner DAS Group Professionals, has approximately 2,400 antennas and 3,200 remotes, and is unique in that is the first stadium DAS we know of that is running neutral-host 5G signals, here in the C-band spectrum. The DAS is capable of covering all licensed spectrum bands between 600 MHz to 6 GHz, according to Skarpi Hedinsson, chief technology officer, SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park.

The DAS also uses approximately 24 MatSing lens antennas, with that number about evenly split between the stadium and the parking lots, according to Steve Dutto, president of DGP. Inside the stadium, the iconic MatSing antennas (which are basically big round balls) use their long-throw capability to cover areas like the YouTube Theater plaza and some of the higher concourse gathering areas, which have high open areas above them.

Surprised the PS has not had any follow up on this story a week before the home opener. I am sure they will have a story or two soon. People care about this. It would be nice if they knew in advance what changes they will see and how to best take advantage of them.

Hint. Hint.

Most of what you wrote went over my head, so I'll accept "yes" as the answer. lol

Well so much for improved WiFi being ready for football season. Looking like next season maybe unless a miracle happens

I will like your post because I appreciate you posting it. Disappointing the project has fallen so far behind. Even John M admitted it was unlikely it would be ready for last season but not ready for the Colgate game?

Very unfortunate. My personal cell is Verizon (Spectrum) and my work phone is AT&T so I could hopefully get 5G for at least a couple home football games this season.

Must be something about the building that makes these things hard.

I don't so much care about the Wi-Fi or the super speed, so much as the place being a giant Siberian dead spot.
Well if you are sitting there Friday with the score 24-0 mid first half, being able to tune into the baseball game might make it easier to stay.

It's supposed to be all ready for Friday. Supposed to be...
That would be nice.

I tried it last Friday for the hoops exhibition. No change.

Will try it again for tie exhibition hoops game on Wednesday….

So we are now into Nov.. I wonder if the WIFI shows up before a new coach.
Do you think that they would do an announcement? Because my WiFi at the exhibition was noticeably very fast.

Was going to say that I guess I'll find out Friday night but I don't think there will be much of a crowd.

Do you think that they would do an announcement? Because my WiFi at the exhibition was noticeably very fast.

Was going to say that I guess I'll find out Friday night but I don't think there will be much of a crowd.
Wi-Fi was relatively fast but I think that was a function of the tiny crowd.

The thing that was supposed to be juiced up was the cell service. Initially only for Verizon customers (that includes Spectrum).

I don’t think any journalist has asked SU about the Wi-Fi and whether there are plans to improve it as well. It would be great if someone were to ask about this.

Hint, hint…..

That would be nice.

I tried it last Friday for the hoops exhibition. No change.

Will try it again for tie exhibition hoops game on Wednesday….
It's supposed to debut during a football game but not 100% on that.

It's supposed to debut during a football game but not 100% on that.
You may know move about this than I do. The article I read said mid October. It would make sense to try and bring it up for the first time for a basketball exhibition game first with a really small crowd.

That said, I don’t expect a big crowd for the BC game either. But it will probably be 10 or 15 times bigger than the crowd for the St Rose exhibition game Wednesday.

Here is the relevant quote…

Adams said they hope that Verizon customers are able to access the network in mid-October. He said that AT&T is targeting November to install its equipment and that T-Mobile is looking to complete its work by December or the start of the spring semester

I've got it on good authority that Verizon wireless customers should see dramatically improved cellular data speeds on Friday in the dome. I can't speak for the WiFi, but with 5G who really needs WiFi anyway. ATT and T-Mobile should come next month.

I've got it on good authority that Verizon wireless customers should see dramatically improved cellular data speeds on Friday in the dome. I can't speak for the WiFi, but with 5G who really needs WiFi anyway. ATT and T-Mobile should come next month.
That would be awesome. Syracuse football; fans need some kind of a win in the worst way.

I work in this space, designing indoor cellular systems for stadiums/venues/airports/terminals/buildings etc across the country. I've worked with JMA, their competitors and and all the carriers. I have NO KNOWLEDGE of the Dome specifically, but their quote "all JMA equipment has been installed" means that they are waiting on the carrier signal sources from the carriers themselves. This is typically a long and tidious process that takes up to 24 mos to plan in advance, as historically, the venue does not pay any costs for the source or the transport. Therefore the carriers have to budget for this in there forecasts well in advance. If that isnt accounted for early enough, then you have a completed DAS with no signal. Think plumbing in a building is finished with no tie into the water service from the street.

Glad to hear that the new 5G bands are going to be fired up shortly if true. It will dramatically improve the experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom