Looking at Ticketmaster | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Looking at Ticketmaster

This is what I don't get. the die hards will be there no matter what, but for the casual fan, or even just someone that wants to have a fun afternoon, I don't understand how this alone doesn't attract more people? I'll never understand why more people don't like to go up to a football game, tailgate, and hang out with friends. Screw just big games being an event, every game should be an event. Any other time people wouldn't need an excuse to drink, grill, hang out with buddies/family, and watch football, but Syracuse Football fans seem to be in that minority.

Yep, just leaves me scratching my head. Syracuse to me is a drinking town as well, so odd to me. In addition, we have been at least competitive for 4 years now, it's not that bad anymore either. Tailgating and games are fun, why agonize over everything. What does Syracuse football owe people?

There aren't really leafs on the ground yet, that particular excuse is rendered useless.

Using the wheel of excuses...the needle has landed on..."...Too nice a day to be in a Dome!"

Landed right between..."going apple picking" and "gonna go to Destiny Mall".
Giving up what looks to be a fabulous golf day (with few remaining) is going to hurt! But I'll be there.

This is what I don't get. the die hards will be there no matter what, but for the casual fan, or even just someone that wants to have a fun afternoon, I don't understand how this alone doesn't attract more people? I'll never understand why more people don't like to go up to a football game, tailgate, and hang out with friends. Screw just big games being an event, every game should be an event. Any other time people wouldn't need an excuse to drink, grill, hang out with buddies/family, and watch football, but Syracuse Football fans seem to be in that minority.

Never mind having an empty stadium for Army, they couldn't even come close to selling out for USC.

Its not that Syracuse football fans are in the minority its that the overall fan base has/had eroded to a point that there really isnt this 15K plus amount of causal fans who are the fence every week deciding if they want to go to the game. The biggest misconception is that there is this large chunk of fans who every week decide to go apple picking or wine tasting or to Italian fest or whatever the hell is happening versus attending a Syracuse game.

The truth is 90% of those people aren't even cognizant that Syracuse is A. Playing and B. Even if they hear about a game have the remote thought about attending. I can't tell you the amount of people that I know who give absolutely zero thought to attending a Syracuse football game and thats all age groups and income. There isnt a bunch of people who are "raking leaves" ( by the way the poster who mentioned this years ago was joking why some people, not you Ando, continue to take this seriously is beyond me) the thought of attending a game simply doesn't cross there mind. I can't tell you how many times people in my office have asked me what plans I have that weekend or If I went to the game and when I ask them if they went or planned on going to the dome they give me a look like "huh"? They simply don't even consider it. A majority of the people dont even know that Syracuse has a tailgate scene less how to become part of one. The reason they dont want to hang out with friends and tailgate before a game and have some fun is that 90% of them don't even know there's a game less friends that tailgate.

Syracuse football is at a point where its not even a blimp on most casual fans radars for weekend plans or activities, the people on this board even the locals are a very small majority. For those who keep wondering why attendance isn't better and asking what more people need to go to the games your barking up the wrong tree by asking it here. Take yourself to Beak and Skiff or one of the festivals this weekend and ask those people why they aren't at the game, the looks you will get will be priceless.

Its not that Syracuse football fans are in the minority its that the overall fan base has/had eroded to a point that there really isnt this 15K plus amount of causal fans who are the fence every week deciding if they want to go to the game. The biggest misconception is that there is this large chunk of fans who every week decide to go apple picking or wine tasting or to Italian fest or whatever the hell is happening versus attending a Syracuse game.

The truth is 90% of those people aren't even cognizant that Syracuse is A. Playing and B. Even if they hear about a game have the remote thought about attending. I can't tell you the amount of people that I know who give absolutely zero thought to attending a Syracuse football game and thats all age groups and income. There isnt a bunch of people who are "raking leaves" ( by the way the poster who mentioned this years ago was joking why some people, not you Ando, continue to take this seriously is beyond me) the thought of attending a game simply doesn't cross there mind. I can't tell you how many times people in my office have asked me what plans I have that weekend or If I went to the game and when I ask them if they went or planned on going to the dome they give me a look like "huh"? They simply don't even consider it. A majority of the people dont even know that Syracuse has a tailgate scene less how to become part of one. The reason they dont want to hang out with friends and tailgate before a game and have some fun is that 90% of them don't even know there's a game less friends that tailgate.

Syracuse football is at a point where its not even a blimp on most casual fans radars for weekend plans or activities, the people on this board even the locals are a very small majority. For those who keep wondering why attendance isn't better and asking what more people need to go to the games your barking up the wrong tree by asking it here. Take yourself to Beak and Skiff or one of the festivals this weekend and ask those people why they aren't at the game, the looks you will get will be priceless.

While I agree that the popularity of the Football program is a drop in a bucket compared to the Basketball program, there are still a ton of people who will watch on tv, without any consideration of heading up to the Dome. Just look at some of the ratings we pull. They are pretty surprising. Sure there are other factors that go into that, but it seems most of the people I know who follow the Football program casually still watch on tv.

While I agree that the popularity of the Football program is a drop in a bucket compared to the Basketball program, there are still a ton of people who will watch on tv, without any consideration of heading up to the Dome. Just look at some of the ratings we pull. They are pretty surprising. Sure there are other factors that go into that, but it seems most of the people I know who follow the Football program casually still watch on tv.

For basketball I would agree there is a huge TV watching contingent but for football at least locally we get a fraction of that. Hit up Rosies or Tully's or any other sports bar for a Syracuse Noon/1230 football game, the place will be a ghost town save for Tullys that place is always packed but most people will just be there to eat. I agree there is a contingent of casual fans who TV watch only and for some reason refuse to consider actually going up to the dome but a good % of those are also the local hometown "haters" watching to laugh and post on social media the minute Syracuse loses.

I'll be at the Maryland game, and I'm psyched! Coming up from NYC. Family responsibilities make it tough to make games very often, but I have to say, if I lived in Syracuse area, I would seldom miss a game. Most of my family up there make just about every game. I get a bonus this season with the ND game in NYC. I'll be there too. A brother and a sister and their Syracuse area friends will be joining me. I'm really looking forward to seeing SU go into that game 3-0. I believe this team has a whole lot of upside. They have some issues on both sides of the line, but issues that are open to correction, improved execution. Go Orange!!!

I have this problem solved...

SU needs to market aggressively to the obese. That way we only need 35K extremely large butts in seats to make the Dome look packed.

Get on this, Bartlett.

You're welcome.
Is this really what you want to see climbing up the hill?

fatmobn.png

SU needs to market aggressively to the obese. That way we only need 35K extremely large butts in seats to make the Dome look packed.

Get on this, Bartlett.

You're welcome.

Please just keep them out of my row!

Get on this, Bartlett.

You're welcome.
Yes! And get them all eating Doritos or something -- the munching sounds will be deafening! This is brilliant, play to CNY's strength.

Get on this, Bartlett.

You're welcome.
We larger fans resemble that post

Have a monster truck race/rally/hootenanny in the Dome right after the game.

Have Otto lead the team on the field driving Gravedigger.

Problem solved.

grave-digger-30-edjpg-2cc03e7d25b58697.jpg

Get on this, Bartlett.

You're welcome.

or just invite a few of your lesbian friends

I could complain about this every time the thread comes up. This is my biggest complaint about SU sports and I'm part of the problem.. I make it to a road game now that we're in the ACC but am not yet comfortable enough financially to make the trip up for a couple home games. It just sucks to watch on TV and see so many empty seats at such a fun event. That said, every time the team has had a chance to turn the corner with the casual fans showing up, they poop the bed. Clemson last year, Northwestern, Rutgers, Pitt and Minnesota before that. I honestly feel that if this team wins the next 2 games things can really start to change...but then a beat down at the hands of Florida State would put us right back where we started.

I could complain about this every time the thread comes up. This is my biggest complaint about SU sports and I'm part of the problem.. I make it to a road game now that we're in the ACC but am not yet comfortable enough financially to make the trip up for a couple home games. It just sucks to watch on TV and see so many empty seats at such a fun event. That said, every time the team has had a chance to turn the corner with the casual fans showing up, they poop the bed. Clemson last year, Northwestern, Rutgers, Pitt and Minnesota before that. I honestly feel that if this team wins the next 2 games things can really start to change...but then a beat down at the hands of Florida State would put us right back where we started.

The Louisville and FSU game attendance will be fine since they were included in a couple different packages. Depending on how we are doing going into the last 2 home games, vs Duke and NCST, we should probably have the best attendance numbers in the last 5 years or so.

anomander said:
The Louisville and FSU game attendance will be fine since they were included in a couple different packages. Depending on how we are doing going into the last 2 home games, vs Duke and NCST, we should probably have the best attendance numbers in the last 5 years or so.

NC State is Parents Weekend.

I think people have to be realistic. In this day and age, attendance is falling for most every regular season sporting event there is - with the lone exception of the NFL. But the NFL should be viewed with a different lens always, in every aspect - for better or worse.

Around the country, college football attendance is down. Especially at like private universities. It's a reality - and couple that with the fact that we were so bad for the GRob period, and had just one season where you could really say we were fun to watch (and that came after a series of clunkers offensively), it shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that the Dome isn't filled on a regular basis.

The one thing I will say that gives me hope is that the Dome does get filled when good teams come. The Clemson game last year, the WVU game on Friday night three years ago, FSU this year and hopefully Louisville too. The Dome was great - and even Villanova, from reports that I received from people who were at the game, had a pretty good crowd. The potential is there that if we can build a fun, winning team, we can get 40-45K for the unexciting opponents. But until we ourselves are exciting, and are exciting right from the start of a season, it's not going to happen.

(And this is why Alin Eduoard, or a dynamic-type QB, is so huge for this program to find going forward. They make all the difference in the world from a 7-5/8-4 team to a 10-2/11-1 team.)

To all the fans who...Got a life...Think SU is a BB school...think the program died when McNabb graduated...think tickets are too expensive...etc...etc...etc...

Thank you. I'll be holding on to my 3rd row seats for decades and when the Dome does fill back up, I hope people in 315 look down at me like I used to on others...damn I wish I had those seats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom