Louisville announces self-imposed postseason ban | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville announces self-imposed postseason ban

I have two thoughts about this whole mess.

#1. Let's not be too quick to pile on Louisville. To outsiders looking in at the Syracuse situation, the headlines looked pretty bad. We knew that the NCAA hadn't come up with much of anything with substance, but the rest of the teams, jealous from our success, were too willing to laugh with glee and assume that we must be guilty. Rivalry hatred led to assumption of guilt; the NCAA derives its power and immunity from this. Can you imagine how the NCAA would look if Kentucky, Syracuse, and Duke fans all joined up to attack the NCAA over its inconsistent, unprofessional, and slipshod handling of all of these cases? But that doesn't happen because we're too happy to see a rival take one in the face. I'm not saying Louisville is innocent. I'm saying we don't really know what's happening on the inside and who is to blame; we shouldn't be too quick to take the NCAA's side. Ever.

#2. I really hate these self-imposed post-season ban. They're a a joke. They are all about timing recruiting and preserving the program at the expense of the current kids. If a post-season ban was announced before the start of a season, all of the recruits would leave, and future recruits, who assumed they would be joining a quality team would also leave. It's a domino effect and could potentially be the death of a program. The only way to escape it is by penalizing the current program so that next year's recruits don't leave. The school could easily choose to penalize none of the players by taking a ban next year, and letting all recruits and current players leave if they want. But they prioritize the program at the expense of the students. I guess that's the AD's job, but the NCAA let's schools (Syracuse included) get away with it. I don't know what the answer is--maybe getting rid of post-season bans altogether, or imposing them far less frequently, but it's just one more way that the system (NCAA and the schools) prioritize $$$ and winning over the actual players.

A live look-in at the Pitino press conference:

ujoov2i3qbcczkg88sbh.gif

One question you guys might be able to answer based on the experience last year - what happens to Louisville's ACCT ticket allotment? Is is still given to them and their boosters/season ticket holders then they just return the unpurchased remainder to... who/what/where?

What's the protocol vis a vis tourney tickets?

"This is a punishment I thought would never happen this season," Pitino said. "This is a decision that's as harsh as anything I've seen."

Guess he doesn't realize there is a world other than his own little world...example: sanctions against Syracuse, SMU, etc...

Maybe Lee and Lewis should have made a wiser decision. U telling me when these guys looked to transferred in to Louisville they didn't talk to or know current players about and this was never brought up to them during the process or once they got to Louisville.

2 two of the players who report took part were Rozier and Harrell both of whom were on the team last year. Other and current players who maybe didn't take part or were involved didn't know about this and was mentioned in passing to Lee and Lewis.

Or maybe when this story broke in October Lee and Lewis should have looked to leave then. For that I can't feel all that sorry for them.
How do you leave a Masters program in October?

We knew that the NCAA hadn't come up with much of anything with substance, but the rest of the teams, jealous from our success, were too willing to laugh with glee and assume that we must be guilty.
You don't have to assume guilt in order to laugh with glee.

I really wish the NCAA passed a rule that teams that impose in-season bans allow all players on the team to transfer following the season without sitting out.

Now it would have been fair game for any player on our team last year as well. That way kids who get screwed can move on immediately as well. I mean give the kids some break NCAA.

I have sent this to the NCAA Suggestion Box...their reply is that they will review and respond in the appropriate amount of time...thank you.

I have two thoughts about this whole mess.

#1. Let's not be too quick to pile on Louisville. To outsiders looking in at the Syracuse situation, the headlines looked pretty bad. We knew that the NCAA hadn't come up with much of anything with substance, but the rest of the teams, jealous from our success, were too willing to laugh with glee and assume that we must be guilty. Rivalry hatred led to assumption of guilt; the NCAA derives its power and immunity from this. Can you imagine how the NCAA would look if Kentucky, Syracuse, and Duke fans all joined up to attack the NCAA over its inconsistent, unprofessional, and slipshod handling of all of these cases? But that doesn't happen because we're too happy to see a rival take one in the face. I'm not saying Louisville is innocent. I'm saying we don't really know what's happening on the inside and who is to blame; we shouldn't be too quick to take the NCAA's side. Ever.

#2. I really hate these self-imposed post-season ban. They're a a joke. They are all about timing recruiting and preserving the program at the expense of the current kids. If a post-season ban was announced before the start of a season, all of the recruits would leave, and future recruits, who assumed they would be joining a quality team would also leave. It's a domino effect and could potentially be the death of a program. The only way to escape it is by penalizing the current program so that next year's recruits don't leave. The school could easily choose to penalize none of the players by taking a ban next year, and letting all recruits and current players leave if they want. But they prioritize the program at the expense of the students. I guess that's the AD's job, but the NCAA let's schools (Syracuse included) get away with it. I don't know what the answer is--maybe getting rid of post-season bans altogether, or imposing them far less frequently, but it's just one more way that the system (NCAA and the schools) prioritize $$$ and winning over the actual players.

Problem with your #1 is that this isn't just headlines--these allegations have been confirmed by current / former Louisville players and recruits.

Problem with your #1 is that this isn't just headlines--these allegations have been confirmed by current / former Louisville players and recruits.
Yeah, and in four months time from the news breaking, Louisville felt that their best move would be to self-impose a postseason ban. Syracuse self-reported in 2010. Five years later, they self-imposed once it became clear to them at the NCAA was going to penalize them. The NCAA must have some seriously weighty evidence on this.

Maybe those rumors of Pitino to UNLV last month weren't so absurd ...

Pitino to announce orgy at his house tomorrow night, taking place from 8:00pm to 8:02pm.
Has been changed to the Italian restaurant with the checkered tablecloths.

Definitely sucks for those grad transfers as noted above. I don't know. Before we crucify Pitino; if Boeheim didn't know what was going on (and we believe that) then I'm giving Pitino the benefit of the doubt. Pitino is well liked and respected. Pulling a Lewinsky a la Clinton doesn't make him some horrible guy, imo.

Swofford: These Big East teams are killing me.
To be fair Louisville was brought in for football reasons not basketball.
However your right the sharks have to be circling around Pitt next.

There is an ignore option for a reason, please utilize it rather than replying just to hijack a thread and complain. It will help streamline threads and keep them on point. If there is name calling , cursing etc - use the report feature otherwise please stop perpetuating the complaining, it's just as annoying if not more so. Thank you for your co-operation. LGO!

Definitely sucks for those grad transfers as noted above. I don't know. Before we crucify Pitino; if Boeheim didn't know what was going on (and we believe that) then I'm giving Pitino the benefit of the doubt. Pitino is well liked and respected. Pulling a Lewinsky a la Clinton doesn't make him some horrible guy, imo.
Dude Pitino's grad assistant who went onto UMKC is the guy rumored to be doing this. I don't think unless that coach pulled an Oliver North/Alexander Haig situation that Pitino didn't know.

Prosecution sting is way worse than drug tests/Fab Melo/YMCA stuff.

The NCAA wanted JB's scalp for his mouth. This Louisville situation looks really shady that recruiters were getting Lewinskys. Pitino is way more guilty than JB was.

To be fair Louisville was brought in for football reasons not basketball.
However your right the sharks have to be circling around Pitt next.
Naaaa Pitt is never that good at anything the acc schools don't see them as that type of threat to seek a investigation on them.

two3zone said:
We were over-punished but we had somebody do a paper for one of our players and the AD was behind it. Don't throw stones in glass houses my friend, I'd say it would make you look more <redacted> than you already are.

At least our glass house is an academic building. Whore houses made from glass are nasty.

Dude Pitino's grad assistant who went onto UMKC is the guy rumored to be doing this. I don't think unless that coach pulled an Oliver North/Alexander Haig situation that Pitino didn't know.

Prosecution sting is way worse than drug tests/Fab Melo/YMCA stuff.

The NCAA wanted JB's scalp for his mouth. This Louisville situation looks really shady that recruiters were getting Lewinskys. Pitino is way more guilty than JB was.

Oh I know it is worse than SU's. Way worse. I just think it is possible that McGee did this all without Don Pitino knowing. I mean there was a point SU/JB didn't know about Kissel, so...

Have they traced the money to potentially the Athletic Dept. yet? Did McGee use any of those resources? If so then it will only get worse for them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom