Lowered Expectations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lowered Expectations

1. It meant getting a commit from a top 10 recruit. Again, all I said it means is we had a lot of returning talent.
2. Style of play and confidence, IU has no confidence vs Wisky
5. Wyatt was not mugged, he was frustrated and put on a pretty good acting performance when he was denied the ball. Oladipo is considered one of the top defenders in the country for a reason, and it's not because he's never called for fouls.

Side note, didn't you guys lose to Temple? They must not be that bad.

The TomCreanShow- isn't that a televised version of daddy/son and other incestuous combinations of spin the bottle?

The TomCreanShow- isn't that a televised version of daddy/son and other incestuous combinations of spin the bottle?

It's actually a little tongue in cheek. I understand Crean's antics aren't the most popular around the country. You guys are really hung up on that pic though, not sure which is weirder, the pic or the obsession.

My buddy Tom channelling his inner Cali!

Great stuff! You have told me that you think you have a couple more novels left in you but this is the first time in the 20-ish years that I've "known" you that I have seen you just let the stream of consciousness fly from your keyboard. Awesome!

Writers gotta write :)

1. It meant getting a commit from a top 10 recruit. Again, all I said it means is we had a lot of returning talent.
2. Style of play and confidence, IU has no confidence vs Wisky
5. Wyatt was not mugged, he was frustrated and put on a pretty good acting performance when he was denied the ball. Oladipo is considered one of the top defenders in the country for a reason, and it's not because he's never called for fouls.

Side note, didn't you guys lose to Temple? They must not be that bad.

Temple is a good team - I wasn't shocked that you guys struggled against them.
If confidence is an issue vs Wisky - I'd be concerned about playing our zone. It tends to impose it's will on teams that haven't seen it. Here's where I'd be worried if I were you: First two possessions - steals/turnovers. Third possession - desperation 3 from 8 ft from 3 point line. It goes in!!! We can beat the zone! Rest of the game: Hoisting 3's - go 4-15.

I'll let you off the hook on the preseason thing. I'm hoping for a good game...

This is exactly why you guys are seen as s. Let me break this down for you slow, mid-west style:

1. You just bragged because you were a preseason #1.
2. You won the regular season B1G season outright. You got smoked in your conference tourney.
3. It has been a while since you've been any good. Good point.
4. Jim Boeheim is no saint. Our players, like every team everywhere - sometimes have issues. But we have the coach 2nd in NCAA wins all time and you've just now got a semi-competant coach (who couldn't beat us when he was at Marquette).
5. Of course we're underdogs and you guys deserve all of the preseason #1, #1 seed hype you can get. We've been there. Expectations suck. You played against them along with Temple last weekend and without the refs help you'd be sitting at home doing what people who live in Indiana do (I don't know what that is... churn butter? Sew buttons on clothes? Feed the mules?)
6. The "results" you speak of - You've won 1 more game than us and we've lost 3 more than you. That's it. You're favored because you're slightly better.
7. No one is talking about us winning this game. We like that. Weight of expectations + our zone = worried IU fan.

Really Cusian?

The Guy makes some points and you're all over him? No wonder both board are calling each other d1¢k$.

A) We're gonna win
ii) Indianan is good
3) Lighten Up Francis
d) See "A"

Go Orange!
SUball

Lots of sarcasm here. I'm reading this as IU isn't as good as everyone thinks they are, so I'll use sarcasm to belittle them. But I didn't earn a journalism degree from Syracuse, so I'm probably wrong.
See, this is where you're wrong. I guess we can't change the way you read it, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the OPs intent. Rather, the fact that no one in the media seems to be giving Syracuse any chance at all to win this game is his point. That's fine. Every FF run we've had at SU in the Boeheim years has followed this same pattern. We tend to like it. In '87, the media said Dwayne Schintzius was going to destroy us on the inside. Then there was no way we could play with Dean Smith's Tarheels. Then, it was the slinging Friars from Providence and their upstart coach... In '96, take your pick of any number of games, UGA and their senior guards, Kansas' all around talent and superior coaching, MSU with their inside attack...In '03 it was the great Eddie Sutton, then the #1 seeded Oklahoma would be too strong, then #1 seeded Texas and their inside-out play and quickness would be too much. Kansas was going to go inside-out all night on us.

The OP is merely saying no one is giving us chance, (no expectations), ergo, relax and enjoy the game for what it will be. Nothing more, nothing less. You came with a chip on your shoulder and read it differently. C'est la vie. Get over it.

See, this is where you're wrong. I guess we can't change the way you read it, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the OPs intent. Rather, the fact that no one in the media seems to be giving Syracuse any chance at all to win this game is his point.
This. That's the way I read Ali's post, about the media's portrayal of us, not as an indictment of IU. "Paranoia strikes deep..."

Rather, the fact that no one in the media seems to be giving Syracuse any chance at all to win this game is his point.
Yup, in the words of Michael Strahan prior to playing the 18-0 New England Patriots "it's the All Pros vs the All Joes".

See, this is where you're wrong. I guess we can't change the way you read it, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the OPs intent. Rather, the fact that no one in the media seems to be giving Syracuse any chance at all to win this game is his point. That's fine. Every FF run we've had at SU in the Boeheim years has followed this same pattern. We tend to like it. In '87, the media said Dwayne Schintzius was going to destroy us on the inside. Then there was no way we could play with Dean Smith's Tarheels. Then, it was the slinging Friars from Providence and their upstart coach... In '96, take your pick of any number of games, UGA and their senior guards, Kansas' all around talent and superior coaching, MSU with their inside attack...In '03 it was the great Eddie Sutton, then the #1 seeded Oklahoma would be too strong, then #1 seeded Texas and their inside-out play and quickness would be too much. Kansas was going to go inside-out all night on us.

The OP is merely saying no one is giving us chance, (no expectations), ergo, relax and enjoy the game for what it will be. Nothing more, nothing less. You came with a chip on your shoulder and read it differently. C'est la vie. Get over it.

Fair enough

Yup, in the words of Michael Strahan prior to playing the 18-0 New England Patriots "it's the All Pros vs the All Joes".

I wouldn't go that far. IU is the favorite, but it's not David vs Goliath.

Both teams relieved themselves of their worst tournament game last round. I think both teams will play at a high level and it will be back and forth for much of the game. If either team builds a big lead I'll be shocked. Whoever can hit shots down the stretch wins, enlightening I know.

Another thing is Syracuse played a really backloaded road schedule and the offense looked like a dumpster fire some nights, but the defense kept them in games. It took James a four or five games to get back into the swing of things and Coleman was out (while he doesn't contribute much, it's nice having a 6'9" 290lb insurance policy in case Rak and Baye get into serious foul trouble). I honestly believe that Syracuse has all the talent of a 2/3 seed but slumped their way to a 5/6 before the BET got them a 4. But no one is talking about the team that played neck and neck and split a home and home with Louisville, the NC favorite. Plus they were absolutely thrashing them before running out of steam in the BET championship game.

SU is an extremely dangerous 4 and could easily be a 2 or 3 seed, but few people are reporting it that way.

But I didn't earn a journalism degree from Syracuse, so I'm probably wrong.

At least you're not wrong about everything!

Don't worry, I'm sure some of our fans will go your board and apologize for how you were treated here.

In all seriousness, I think Indiana is one of the three best teams in the country and has been all year. I also worry because I think you play a similar style to teams that we have trouble with and I'm nervous about the fact that Zeller will foul out our bigs. Also terrified that Southerland will pick three stupid fouls and give up and 1's.

Still, having said that, I like our team and the season we've had and I think we have a decent chance to win Thursday. And you guys have a pretty Sweet 16 ring from last year.

At least you're not wrong about everything!

Don't worry, I'm sure some of our fans will go your board and apologize for how you were treated here.

In all seriousness, I think Indiana is one of the three best teams in the country and has been all year. I also worry because I think you play a similar style to teams that we have trouble with and I'm nervous about the fact that Zeller will foul out our bigs. Also terrified that Southerland will pick three stupid fouls and give up and 1's.

Still, having said that, I like our team and the season we've had and I think we have a decent chance to win Thursday. And you guys have a pretty Sweet 16 ring from last year.

Gotta start somewhere. From 6 wins to Sweet 16 deserves a little recognition.

I think boards talking about other team's fans are pretty lame. I, for one, didn't partake in any mudslinging. I came here to see what all the fuss was about, and now I see that you guys mostly like to rip on opponents. To each their own, but HSN is usually above that (except when it come to Purdue and Kentuck). Don't know why we decided to play that game over there.
I think fans that troll other team's boards are pretty lame, but hey I'm not the one from Indiana.

And for the record we are a very sarcastic bunch in the Cuse, and it's viewed as fun and an asset in life, not a negative. Thin skinned people tend to not understand it. And if you spent anytime at all on the board you would see a very true and in depth knowledgeable fan base, that sees things pretty objectively or more objective than most. With that said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little talking before a big game...especially with you guys..

I wouldn't go that far. IU is the favorite, but it's not David vs Goliath.

Both teams relieved themselves of their worst tournament game last round. I think both teams will play at a high level and it will be back and forth for much of the game. If either team builds a big lead I'll be shocked. Whoever can hit shots down the stretch wins, enlightening I know.
If Florida is the best team in the Universe, Indiana is the best team in the history of sports.

It's actually a little tongue in cheek. I understand Crean's antics aren't the most popular around the country. You guys are really hung up on that pic though, not sure which is weirder, the pic or the obsession.

Yours is a homer opinion on Ola on Wyatt at end of game... pretty much all impartial observers saw it for what it was... It's the same sort of crap Kraft for OSU gets away with or half the Louisville team on a weekly basis...

Also, int terms of weird hang ups... I was checking out HSN yesterday and was a bit baffled by your fans' obsession with "hilljack" fan (is that the right term?)... "Casual Gay Marie"... I found it kinda funny and kinda weird...

Yeah, you guys are such underdogs. Nobody in the media ever talks about Syracuse. Jim Boeheim is a saint, so are all of your players.
Get real guys. Indiana was preseason #1 and won the B1G outright because they are a very good team. It's been awhile since IU fans have had this type of team to root for. Are you upset because people actually think IU will win this game? It shouldn't come as a shock that a #1 seed is favored over a #4 seed. Syracuse is a very good team too, they just didn't get some of the results Indiana got this year.
Not sure why so sensitive.

You do realize that some of the talking heads have spent more time talking about IU's match-ups in the Elite 8 than they have spent talking about IU vs. SU. Based on that, you might expect sarcasm about the coverage we're getting. I don't see any shots at IU in the OP except some jokes about Crean's demeanor.

Really Cusian?

The Guy makes some points and you're all over him? No wonder both board are calling each other d1¢k$.

A) We're gonna win
ii) Indianan is good
3) Lighten Up Francis
d) See "A"

Go Orange!
SUball

Eh, sure. I guess. He made some "points" - most of which were not very good. I'm just amped up. Peace to all of the little Hoosiers out there. ;)

Heat would call for the Mercy Rule after game 1. Why even waste the time or risk injury playing the other 3 games? And I think the Hoosiers could beat the '98 Yankees easily.
I don't know why people are talking about Zeller and Oladipo, since Bill Brasky and Mike Ditka play for the Hoosiers this year.

I don't know why people are talking about Zeller and Oladipo, since Bill Brasky and Mike Ditka play for the Hoosiers this year.

If only we had the Hoosiers years ago, there would have been no need for Marines at Belleau Wood, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, or Guadalcanal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom