Mail a first rounder | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mail a first rounder

I didn't say that he had to be a lottery pick. He doesn't have to be a lottery pick to go. What I disagree most with you is the idea that he really wants to go. Yeah, if the draft spot is right. But there is a reason that he didn't jump right in right away. Hey, if he is top 20, see ya. After that, touch and go.

Ok you said top 15 so thats where i drew there inference of a lottery pick. I disagree w what u think his intentions are.

Ok you said top 15 so thats where i drew there inference of a lottery pick. I disagree w what u think his intentions are.
From what I can gather from posters I trust and from what Mali has indicated publicly, his intentions are to go through the process, receive feedback from the NBA and then make an informed decision on whether to go or return to SU. Anything else at this point is mere speculation.

From what I can gather from posters I trust and from what Mali has indicated publicly, his intentions are to go through the process, receive feedback from the NBA and then make an informed decision on whether to go or return to SU. Anything else at this point is mere speculation.

That's essentially what I said, and I even admitted I am speculating. I just stated what I think will make him bite at staying in the draft.

People are making too much of this. Years ago people laughed at Kwami Brown after he struggled in the NBA. A very famous story discussed how immature he was and just didn't know how to order food at restaurants or how to live on the road.

The media made a big deal of it back then...but now their making fun of it now. The point is some of these kids have no idea how to live on their own and it affects the way they play.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/28/AR2006112800709_pf.html

This is worth a bump because it's relevant to the topic of Malachi (and others) considering early entry. I believe Malachi's better off than many of those straight-outta-high-school kids like Brown, but the article does highlight some of the ways in which the NBA is more challenging and less enjoyable than college basketball. Money and coursework seem to be the two main considerations among fans, but becoming a professional is an all-encompassing lifestyle change that's difficult for everyone, especially so for younger guys.

(As an aside, and in Brown's defense, not knowing how to cook and eating Popeye's chicken three meals a day sounds pretty fun.)

Malachi's a great NBA prospect. People talk about how he's cookie cutter to a lot of NBA wings and has the same game as a lot of other guys and don't realize that's a major positive. NBA teams love players like Malachi. If you can snag him a little later he can become a steal for you.

Late 1st round and second round picks that pan out can change a team's trajectory. If you can draft well there you're really setting yourself up for success.

some "fans" really need to leave him alone on twitter...

I always wonder if like some Rutgers fan, pretending to be a Syracuse fan, could tweet at him to try and make the fanbase look crappy.

How much is a "guarantee" worth in reality? Sounds like a very empty promise. Certainly unenforceable and likely full of caveats.

GM to Agent: "If he's still around at #20, we'd love to take him." (Is that even a guarantee?)

Couple possible scenarios:
1. A player who that team had originally ranked higher falls in the draft and is still available. Unless the team is opening up their entire ranking chart to the agent (which is beyond foolish) it is very easy to justify a last second change of heart.

2. Team trades their pick. Other than "upside", the most common phrase at the draft is "we have a trade to announce."

Right, how many people here would make life altering career decisions based on a verbal "promise?"

Right, how many people here would make life altering career decisions based on a verbal "promise?"

Agents have massive power in the NBA. Massive.

If a GM would go back on an agreement like this, there would be he!! to pay.

No GM who values his own job would go back on a guarantee in the NBA. He would no longer be a GM for very long.

No GM who values his own job would go back on a guarantee in the NBA. He would no longer be a GM for very long.

The agent has a fiduciary duty to the client. If he were to become vindictive over a broken pinky swear and blackball the reneging team, he would be doing his client a disservice.

the only redeeming quality of this thread is that the player's name is spelled wrong in the title and it has existed for 2 whole days. I think Malachi's new nickname is Mail.
Because he delivers??!!

upload_2016-4-28_13-24-17.jpeg

It's happened before, but the ramifications are strong enough that it doesn't happen as often as you would think.

The agent has a fiduciary duty to the client. If he were to become vindictive over a broken pinky swear and blackball the reneging team, he would be doing his client a disservice.

i think agents would be seriously violating their fiduciary duties to their clients if they let teams break promises to their clients.

Maybe the GM would end up swimm'n with the fisches if you know what I mean.

Teams make promises all the time.
They don't break the promises because as discussed the agents stop having their client workout for other teams once the promise is made. The Celtics drafted a JUCO kid Kedrick Brown because they promised him.

The SuperSonics drafted a HS kid Robert Swift because they promised him.

Promises are made all the time in the NBA draft.

That's fair. Most of us don't have the luxury of agents to look out for our interests.

Still I don't think a little paranoia is a bad thing...
But maybe I'm just cynical.

some "fans" really need to leave him alone on twitter...

If he can't deal with the masses he needs a publicist. He's a public figure. Fans come with the territory. It's only going to get worse if he is successful in the NBA.

What Mali thinks is irrelevant. Just don't be a douchebag. It's not that hard.

That's why he needs a publicist so he remains even toned. Oh, you mean the fans!

I always wonder if like some Rutgers fan, pretending to be a Syracuse fan, could tweet at him to try and make the fanbase look crappy.

Reading around the forum we do a good job of that on our own.

Before he announced someone would say "he had an excellent freshman year". He declares, "he's not ready and needs to stay. He'd be dumb to leave. #cuse2016/17"

Reading around the forum we do a good job of that on our own.

Before he announced someone would say "he had an excellent freshman year". He declares, "he's not ready and needs to stay. He'd be dumb to leave. #cuse2016/17"

Yea but saying stuff on a forum and tweeting things at him are two different things. Im ok w people calling that putative decision dumb on here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom