Mali...back or not poll | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mali...back or not poll

None of this truly matters until the combine. Unless Malachi gets so locked into the mindset that he's going no matter what...but I'd have to think he's smarter and more logical in his thinking than that, otherwise he would have already gotten an agent and went 100% in. But really he doesnt/shouldnt know until the combine. So any "he's going/he's staying" wouldn't seem to be based on anything substantial at this point.

None of this truly matters until the combine. Unless Malachi gets so locked into the mindset that he's going no matter what...but I'd have to think he's smarter and more logical in his thinking than that, otherwise he would have already gotten an agent and went 100% in. But really he doesnt/shouldnt know until the combine. So any "he's going/he's staying" wouldn't seem to be based on anything substantial at this point.

Exactly, I mean what happens if he has a bad combine, and is told he really needs to come back and work on his game. It just doesn't make sense.

We all know there is a lot to be determined with Malachi Richardson. If Syracuse lost in the first round against Gonzaga I don't think Malachi goes near the NBA draft but we had a great run and he was a big part of it. I just want to know everyone's opinion. HE BACK or HE GONE

Personally

HE GONE

They didn't play the zags until the sweet 16, but I agree with the overall point. I felt the same way about Johnny Flynn. If Devendorf's jump on the scorer's table three pointer was released a millisecond earlier the 6 OT game never happens and Johnny stays.

Might want to show him this one after the meeting
crean4.jpg
You're avatar has to go back to Sherman, cause dudes creepy.

We all know there is a lot to be determined with Malachi Richardson. If Syracuse lost in the first round against Gonzaga I don't think Malachi goes near the NBA draft but we had a great run and he was a big part of it. I just want to know everyone's opinion. HE BACK or HE GONE

Personally

HE GONE
I think in the "combines" or whatever they have, his "explosion" is what will grab the scouts. He has the tools to create seperation on his last 2 steps to the hoop. Not many have that. Russell Westbrook does. Malachi has shown it, and shows it a lot when he "feels it: aka vs Virginia. Sad because it came out for us in limited exposure lucky I guess it came out in the UVA NCAA game.

They didn't play the zags until the sweet 16, but I agree with the overall point. I felt the same way about Johnny Flynn. If Devendorf's jump on the scorer's table three pointer was released a millisecond earlier the 6 OT game never happens and Johnny stays.
NBA scouts and GMs don't make impulsive decisions to invest millions of dollars on players based on one game, or even a good week of games. The 6OT game put Flynn on the national map in terms of fans, but scouts and GMs knew about him and his NBA skill set and potential. They knew about him since high school and had at least 3 full seasons to scout. The combine and private team workouts are what made Flynn the #6 pick, not a sportscenter highlight of the 6OT game. It's not like GMs get "stock tips" on unknown college players and spend lottery picks on them.

It is 100% dependent on how he does at the combine. He has to play against good people and beat them 1 on 1. That's how the game works. His measurables will be OK, but there are another 10 guys about his size and some with even better athleticism who are going to be there. He will need to show a good handle, which he wasn't required to do last year quite so much. He's going to have to shoot consistently.
If he beats other people, especially if he has a few workouts in that week after the combine before you make your decision, that will seal it. And if he's not good enough yet, he'll know a lot better what he has to work on. I think the thing that's going to surprise him is how many guys he's never heard of are really good. It's that way every year.

So that's a long way of saying, you're way too early with this poll, because it means zero right now.
This is the exactly situation right now. Comes down to the combine and private workouts and how he stacks up to the other guards/wings there.

My guess is he is back. He goes and does well but not as well as he wants and he is ready to blow up this season and go top 10 next year. Boom!!!!!

Edit Tyler and Mali make their own version of droppin dimes on them next year! LOL

Last edited:
NBA scouts and GMs don't make impulsive decisions to invest millions of dollars on players based on one game, or even a good week of games. The 6OT game put Flynn on the national map in terms of fans, but scouts and GMs knew about him and his NBA skill set and potential. They knew about him since high school and had at least 3 full seasons to scout. The combine and private team workouts are what made Flynn the #6 pick, not a sportscenter highlight of the 6OT game. It's not like GMs get "stock tips" on unknown college players and spend lottery picks on them.
I think you overestimate the intelligence of the perennially bad NBA teams (like the team who drafted Flynn, for instance).

I think he is back. Mali has a high opinion of his skills and rightly so but I also think he probably sees himself as a top ten pick which probably is not in the cards this year. When he sees that, he'll come back to prove he should be there next year.

Lots of people in this thread setting themselves up for disappointment. He was gone as soon as UVA happened

If it is like it has been with EVERY other possible NBA prospect from our team, then... HE GONE!

I can't remember the last time we thought someone might be going to the NBA that actually ended up staying...

If it is like it has been with EVERY other possible NBA prospect from our team, then... HE GONE!

I can't remember the last time we thought someone might be going to the NBA that actually ended up staying...

John Wallace in 1995 entered the draft and then eventually pulled out. That might be the only one. Warrick came back for his senior year, but i don't remember that being much of a surprise, though he couldve gone and got drafted as a Junior. Everyone else that was a good NBA prospect has gone, it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom