Maliq Appreciation Thread | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Appreciation Thread

Scotch

Starter
Since Maliq joined the program a lot of the discussion has been on what he's not - he's not big enough to play center, he's not a rim protector, etc.

The kid is just a basketball player. On defense, what he lacks in rim protection he more than makes up for in mobility and athleticism that results in steals. He's fantastic at defending the pick and roll and he's quick enough to guard multiple positions on the wing when he gets dragged out of the paint.

On offense, I know he had a few TOs yesterday but he's consistently shown the ability to make the right pass and even put the ball on the floor and attack the rim when he has an opportunity.

He's absolutely going to struggle to defend the rim against ACC teams with bigger front lines, but his versatility in every other aspect of defense more than makes up for that. For better or worse our best lineup features him at center.

Last edited:
My favorite player on the squad. He’s got fantastic hands and a good internal clock. Kind of like CJ Fair in that he’s in the right place at the right time a lot. That jumper is a work in progress but it’s coming along.

Since Maliq joined the program a lot of the discussion has been on what he's not - he's not big enough to play center, he's not a rim protector, etc.

The kid is just a basketball player. On defense, what he lacks in rim protection he more than makes up for in mobility and athleticism that results in steals. He's fantastic at defending the pick and roll and he's quick enough to guard multiple positions on the wing when he gets dragged out of the paint.

On offense, I know he had a few TOs yesterday but he's consistently show the ability to make the right pass and even put the ball on the floor and attack the rim when he has an opportunity.

He's absolutely going to struggle to defend the rim against ACC teams with bigger front lines, but his versatility in every other aspect of defense more than makes up for that. For better or worse our best lineup features him at center.
Did you start this thread for me? I appreciate it. Love the kid. The one thing I haven’t seen mentioned here is how he constantly gets himself to good spots offensively.

He had a catch-and-finish off a feed from Benny, I think, in the second half where he timed his cut perfectly. Anticipated everything that was going on (and a great feed from Benny, who I’m often very critical of).

Contrast that play with the first half Copeland feed to Taylor in the lane where Taylor caught it flat-footed and seemed surprised by the pass. He got fouled, but if he anticipated that pass and is cutting he’s got a bucket or an and-one opportunity.

I’d say Brown is behind only Judah in terms of ranking these players. Not perfect, could get better, but he’s a very nice player to have on the roster.

Maliq has exceptionally quick hands.
you wait and see...when we play the UNCs and Dukes, he'll pick up
2 ticky-tack fouls in the first 4 minutes he plays.
Yeah, his ability to poke the ball away and not foul is amazing...but when he swipes at a 37 year old Bacot, the officials aren't going to allow that!

He is so much better now than at the beginning of the season. He was definitely hurt. He’s moving better, jumping better and so much more active. He was a shell of himself the first few games. I was worried. He looks really good now. He just needs to defensive rebound.

Just a great bball player in the mold of Josh Pace and Marek. His jumper looks good. If he and Quadir can hit the foul line jumper, things will open up big time when teams zone us, which I think will happen a lot. It's critical he avoids ticky-tacky fouls, so he can stay on the floor. To that end, we really need 10-15 quality minutes from McCleod/Hima. I'm not optimistic on that front.

He's been my favorite player since he joined the program. He's got a very high bball IQ and he's a sneaky really good passer.

He will never need an offensive play run for him to contribute. He's a guy who is perfect for the dunker spot.

Just a smart player that does the right things.

Yeah, his ability to poke the ball away and not foul is amazing.
He commits 4.9 fouls per 40. With the exception of the LSU game he's picked up 4 fouls against every Power 6 team we've played despite only playing about 25 MPG in those games. It's most often on reaches and being caught out of position down low since he's undersized for a 5.

I really like Maliq too but there's no reason to make stuff up.

Been a huge fan of his since he first starting getting some PT early last year and was begging for more time for him. Some of the quickest hands on D I've ever seen.

Actually, I talked him up so much a friend refers to me as "Maliq" frequently now in conversation.

He commits 4.9 fouls per 40. With the exception of the LSU game he's picked up 4 fouls against every Power 6 team we've played despite only playing about 25 MPG in those games. It's most often on reaches and being caught out of position down low since he's undersized for a 5.

The amount of time he spends reaching, I figured that number would be much higher. Believe it or not, you can foul people other ways than simply reaching in. I was strictly talking about the times where the offensive player is just holding the ball and he swipes it out of their hands. 9 or more times out of 10 that's a guaranteed foul, but he seems to be able to do it multiple times a game. But thanks for correcting me.

Last edited:

Yeah, he's aggressive on D and it gets him in trouble. But I think he's very aware of his foul situation and goes right up to the line without going over. He hasn't fouled out yet (ever in his career).

Unrelated to your post, but related to Maliq, he's top 5 in the following categories in the ACC:
FG%, OReb (7th), steals (2nd), SPG, 2-pt FG% (1st), DefBPM, D-Rating (3rd, could be first in a normal season, but Ryan Dunn at UVA is going to be the ACC DPOY going away), OReb%, and Steal%.​
Need more defensive rebounds and more FGA, but dude is a key component of SU's defense. Wish he could play more PF and less C.

Yeah, he's aggressive on D and it gets him in trouble. But I think he's very aware of his foul situation and goes right up to the line without going over. He hasn't fouled out yet (ever in his career).

Unrelated to your post, but related to Maliq, he's top 5 in the following categories in the ACC:
FG%, OReb (7th), steals (2nd), SPG, 2-pt FG% (1st), DefBPM, D-Rating (3rd, could be first in a normal season, but Ryan Dunn at UVA is going to be the ACC DPOY going away), OReb%, and Steal%.​
Need more defensive rebounds and more FGA, but dude is a key component of SU's defense. Wish he could play more PF and less C.
Yep. Unfortunately all four scholarship centers have glaring issues. Looking forward to seeing how that resolves, whenever it may be.

It's most often on reaches and being caught out of position down low since he's undersized for a 5.

Including those two things together is really not depicting an accurate picture. What’s the breakdown of the two? One he can control, the other is an issue of being faced play a position he’s not meant to play.

If he’s holding off the other teams best rebounder to prevent that guy from getting an offensive rebound, I’ve got no issue with him not getting as many rebounds. Let Q and JJ grab those.

Outside of Judah he's our next best player and it really isn't close.
He's valuable, no doubt. I think that was apparent from early on in his freshman year, and it really didn't go unnoticed. I'd say he's our player most likely to show up and do his thing effectively every game.

Outside of Judah he's our next best player and it really isn't close.
Love Maliq-
What's cool is that when reading that I thought of a couple guys that are coming on now, and may create debate on that soon!

Love Maliq-
What's cool is that when reading that I thought of a couple guys that are coming on now, and may create debate on that soon!
Maybe. I don't think anyone else has Maliq's consistency. You can say that even for Judah based on his performance at UVA.

Maliq has exceptionally quick hands.
you wait and see...when we play the UNCs and Dukes, he'll pick up
2 ticky-tack fouls in the first 4 minutes he plays.
and lightning reaction time - he picked up a ball on the floor in front of the basket that no one else on the team could.

we really need 10-15 quality minutes from McCleod/Hima. I'm not optimistic on that front.
My blood pressure goes up when McCloud is in. The team athleticism takes a huge hit when both him and JT are in the lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom