Marrone Giving Back to SU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Giving Back to SU

The 2011 team played a huge amount of freshman and sophomores because of the house cleaning when Doug took over. They ran out of gas after half a season of playing 4th and 5th year seniors of the other teams.

I guess that would really have depended on when they would have fired him.
Shafer clearly had the team support, which ain't nothin' but also usually doesn't amount to much. I am pretty sure that if 2012 was a losing season with the same offensive results as the previous year, DM would not have survived. But here is the deal, if 2012 ended in a losing season and the program images sucked it would have been much harder to hire anybody.

So, if Gross hired Shafer while in a stronger position after the 2012 season why would he not have hired him after a bad one when arguably, he would have had fewer (and worse) choices? That is my point.

The whole staff had the teams support after the end of 2012. I'm sure the same things would have been heard if Hackett had been hired.

He wouldn't have hired Shafer because the performance of the defense in 2011 and 2012 wasn't at the same level as the first two years. It wouldn't have been a case where he had a superlative defense that was heads and shoulders better than the offense.

You might have proven to be right but we will never know. Don't understand the logic behind that conclusion.
Yeah it is pretty much a conjecture...

Why do we care who would have been hired if something that didn't happen happened?

Why do we care who would have been hired if something that didn't happen happened?
Well, if you are going to deal in common sense and logic all the fun is gone!

Marrone and Gross did not have a great relationship. There wasn't a lot of trust there.

Not that I doubted my source but now I even feel more confident about what I was told. Thank You.