Matthew Moyer | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

I understand your point - and guess its how you interpret poor (and maybe a poor word choice). I meant that for elite recruits, he is below the mean in that category and leaves something to be desired. I don't really think there are that many great players who aren't very athletic, unless they hold some other significantly above average skill or trait (i.e. 3 point shooting or height). Just consider why Jerami Grant was drafted in the first round - because a lot of basketball minds really value athletic ability, as it certainly wasn't for his jump shot.

Again - the staff does an excellent job of evaluating talent and I'm basing my opinion off some highlight reels - but its what I see. I know its popular to just drool over every recruit but differing opinions should make this more fun - if its any help I really like all 4 players in the class of 2015 (admittedly some more than others!)

PS - I know you weren't comparing him to Melo, but I do think Melo is a great athlete. Great first step and gets off the floor quickly - hence being a great rebounder for his size.
i think sometimes people watch the recruit videos and judge them versus what we are used to from high major D1 standards. you are talking about "poor" athleticism but compared to what? if I am not mistaken he was a 15 year old kid in those videos. you need to factor that in, I was no d1 prospect but I loved basketball and me between the age of 15 and 18 was like 2 different people, my high school coaches didn't even recognize me.

CForth51 it's rough out here to give your opinion lol

It can be when the opinion is in the minority. We are all SU fan's as in fanatics which means enthusiasm in our opinions and speculations weather they be positive, negative and neutral. I hope I didn't come off as indicating anyone else wasn't entitled to their opinion or entitled to voicing it. That said if you do so on a forum like this then others with different opinions are also entitled to express their thoughts about said opinions. Anytime we express an opinion to others we run the risk of that opinion being disagreed with. I guess my point is that sometimes ones opinion is in the minority but that doesn't make the majority opinion holders wrong for expressing that.

I was glad to hear your opinion - the beauty is that we don't know which is more accurate as we can't see in to the future - other posters deemed my opinion wrong. The minority opinion on this site will always be one that isn't 100% glowingly positive (which is kind of boring as our recruits don't always pan out so there must be some room for discussion). I hope my opinion did not come across as completely negative as I think Moyer can and most likely will be a really good college player.

Side note - no Cuse players in ESPN's top 100 ranking (Harvard has two!)

I am assuming this is a current players ranking? If so that's pretty funny and I'd say Christmas, Joseph and McCulough will all be on that list by seasons end. Harvard does have a good squad though and some good players.

I was glad to hear your opinion - the beauty is that we don't know which is more accurate as we can't see in to the future - other posters deemed my opinion wrong. The minority opinion on this site will always be one that isn't 100% glowingly positive (which is kind of boring as our recruits don't always pan out so there must be some room for discussion). I hope my opinion did not come across as completely negative as I think Moyer can and most likely will be a really good college player.

ESPN is always behind the curve, fighting the last war.

On the same theme--Goodman, in one of their blogs, predicted no NCAA tournament for the Orange.

ESPN is always behind the curve, fighting the last war.

On the same theme--Goodman, in one of their blogs, predicted no NCAA tournament for the Orange.

Yes - current players. It's kind of a stupid list - but not that surprised we don't have anyone on it - so many unknowns for cuse. Guessing you're right that by season's end we have some guys that would be deserving. Maybe even Gbinije.

I am assuming this is a current players ranking? If so that's pretty funny and I'd say Christmas, Joseph and McCulough will all be on that list by seasons end. Harvard does have a good squad though and some good players.
I heard Amaker has an agreement with Harvard that allows him two recruits that normally wouldn't meet their standards a year. I'm pretty sure that's why he has stayed there as Coach and not moved on.

I heard Amaker has an agreement with Harvard that allows him two recruits that normally wouldn't meet their standards a year. I'm pretty sure that's why he has stayed there as Coach and not moved on.

That makes sense if they want to be competitive. I'm sure the substandard isn't that low anyways.

That makes sense if they want to be competitive. I'm sure the substandard isn't that low anyways.
Yeah it sucks for the other coaches competing in the Ivy. I know Harvard as a team isn't liked in that conferecnce. That's probably one of the reasons.

Goodman also said we would get smoked against Carleton. He knows nothing, f him lol.

Its pretty shocking how little some of these guys know when its tied to their profession. There are posters on almost every major college teams boards that know much more about college bball than some of these guys getting paid to analyze it.

I think that's true at most schools. My old man coaches at the Division III level and they get one or two "special admits" every year. I went to Cornell and there were certainly guys on the basketball team that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

I think that's true at most schools. My old man coaches at the Division III level and they get one or two "special admits" every year. I went to Cornell and there were certainly guys on the basketball team that wouldn't have been there otherwise.
Ironically I actually learned that about Harvard from a Cornell player.

I can see why a kid would want to go there that might not think he has pro potential - you can get pretty far just saying you're a Harvard graduate. One of my former college roommates was involved in the recruitment of Chambers and Saunders as an assistant at Harvard - he's now at Cal. He's said both are very high character guys. I'm a little nervous about that Cal match up this year - bragging rights included.

Cornell? Hockey, yes. Hoops, I'm not so sure.;)

Poor athleticism is the last thing to come to my mind whenever watching this kid. Everybody is entitled to their opinion though.

Couldn't agree more!! Obviously people view athleticism in many different ways...ie speed/quickness/jumping ability..etc but I certainly see him as having plus athleticism. Often times athleticism and coordination can be confused or impact the other and that's what appears to me to be the case here. The kid obviously has grown so fast and hasn't been able to adjust to it yet so he appears to be lacking in some coordination at this point as he has only just started his junior yr in high school. He's very gangly the way he moves but I view athleticism as a combo of running and jumping and see him as absolutely elite. I mean the kid is probably only 6'7 right now and all these videos were recorded from before he started junior year and he's jumping from every which way easily being able to dunk. When I think of lower level athleticism (relative to major D1 bball because they are obviously athletic to get to this level) 6'7-6'9 forwards I think of Ryan Blackwell and Rick Jackson.

On a side note here...I hate to make comparisons between high school guys and super stars, but his videos remind me of shorter version Anthony Davis. I guess he'd be a taller version of Davis at this point because Davis was only 6'3 going into his junior year but the way he runs and his shot release seems very similar to Davis' in his videos. Now if his game would translate to Davis' then we'd really be talking.

Frankly Francis I feel as though we need a different focus for some of our recruiting. Recruiting just 6 foot 7 guys that can't shoot is not working for our offense. We have far too many projects Johnson, Robertson, Patterson. I feel that recruiting class was way over hyped. Not a one has impressed me yet. This year Joseph he looks like a four year guy who will get better, and I agree with Coach B, McCullough easily gives up a bunch of buckets against smaller players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom