McCord question | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

McCord question

I live in Ohio, so I watched 4-5 of Ohio State’s games this year. Some of OSU’s frustrations with Kyle had to do with the QB’s that came before him.

Kyle took the reins from Stroud. But before Stroud was Fields, Haskins, Barrett, Jones, Miller, and Pryor. These are al Herman trophy caliber or NFL draft pick guys.

McCord’s game has a lot of positives:

He is very accurate with the ball and possesses a pretty quick release. He is adept at reading defensive coverages and has a pretty good idea of where the ball needs to go. He actually has some mobility, but would never be confused for a Fields type back there.

He also has a few things that hold him back from being elite:

He doesn’t have a big live arm like some of the QBs before him at Ohio State. The ball doesn’t seem to drive off his arm and can have some issues fitting the ball into tighter windows. Defensive pressure can get to him more than other QBs with similar pedigree. Can be too conservative with his reads at times.

I do think he can a very good QB here, but the system needs to work a little more to his strengths. Beck’s offense would be a great example of that - quick decision pass and RPO game, with occasion play action shots down the field.

If we are asking him to drive the ball down the field (OSU does a lot) or fit the ball into seam route after seam route you might be setting him up for failure.

It looks like we are surrounding him with playmakers at the WR position, which is great. If we can shore up the OL I believe he will do well here.

However, I do want to temper expectations that he is going to be the greatest Syracuse QB since McNabb over 25 years ago. I don’t see that happening. But I do think he can have a Nassib senior type season for us.

GREAT OFFER!!
Yep perfect summation that I’ve been saying to folks, or to sum up in one line “he’s going to be Nassib on steroids“

I watched a bunch of OSU game this season. He wasn't the top QB in CFB by any means, but he was much more than merely being serviceable. From what I saw of him last year, I'd take him over Nassib any day if that helps.
I watched almost every game he is legit. He's not elite he's very good tho. It's a huge upgrade for this team.

I cannot believe some of the comments this dude has had to deal with on his Instagram from OsU people. Actually disgusting adults say stuff the way they do. He seems like a great kid but good lord that fan base is pathetic
OSU is a very toxic environment. I’ll leave it at that. He is much better off here at SU and will be appreciated and closer to home as well.

OSU offense stinks without McCord and Harrison Jr.
Hey 20 passing yards in the first quarter … it’s like watching our game vs Pitt.

Idk how good he was. But the thing that impressed me more than anything. When he needed to make plays in crunch time he absolutely did. He turned it on and answered the bell every time. Is he the most gifted thrower or best athlete, no. But he went 12-1 and made big plays when the team needed it most.

Yes we need to upgrade the weapons around him, which it sounds like we are doing. We are not going to have the playmakers around him that he had at Ohio State. Not even close. But, I would like to think we have a very reasonable schedule next year and there will be a lot less pressure on him.

Excited to see what he can do on the Hill.

Idk how good he was. But the thing that impressed me more than anything. When he needed to make plays in crunch time he absolutely did. He turned it on and answered the bell every time. Is he the most gifted thrower or best athlete, no. But he went 12-1 and made big plays when the team needed it most.

Yes we need to upgrade the weapons around him, which it sounds like we are doing. We are not going to have the playmakers around him that he had at Ohio State. Not even close. But, I would like to think we have a very reasonable schedule next year and there will be a lot less pressure on him.

Excited to see what he can do on the Hill.
Actually our playmakers will be close. Apparently you don’t read the recruiting forum

Actually our playmakers will be close. Apparently you don’t read the recruiting forum
I have been. Marvin Harrison Jr has been the best WR in college the past 2 years and is a Conscientious generational player. There is absolutely no one Syracuse can bring in that would even come close to him. That’s not even including ebuka who is the number 5 wr entering the draft and stover the number 5 TE entering the draft.

Our talent is getting better. But to even compare to what Ohio State had this year is laughable.

Outside of Harrison, no one else on Ohio St on offense was great. Alford, Brown, Allen, Gadsden, and Villari are as good, not including the incoming players.
The key is a productive OL.

The only thing he “struggled” with is he wasn’t CJ Stroud. He’s a good quarterback, the best passer we’ve had here in a very very long time.
My biggest question is who is second string for us in 2024.

I have been. Marvin Harrison Jr has been the best WR in college the past 2 years and is a Conscientious generational player. There is absolutely no one Syracuse can bring in that would even come close to him. That’s not even including ebuka who is the number 5 wr entering the draft and stover the number 5 TE entering the draft.

Our talent is getting better. But to even compare to what Ohio State had this year is laughable.
I think a lot of our players are conscientious. ;)

so all the griping about Dino not having a 2nd qb who could play seems to have been misplaced with OSU a top 10 team as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom