McCord question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McCord question

I read on their board he struggles with progressions past the first read.

Yeah, that's jist I got... maybe good for 2 reads.

Simpler playbook... 1 year here... let's not do another Tommy Cutlets and over-complicate things for him.

Gonna need some OL talent in, of course, but that's been known for a while.

True — not saying you have to be mike Vick to be great, but it’s hard to be great in college if you can’t use your legs at least occasionally. That said, if you threw for 3K+ at the highest level, then you’re doing a lot of things right.
He can move better than anyone gives him credit for. Look at the tape.

for all the blocking issues we had we still lost 5-10 home run plays because we couldnt make passing plays with catchable throws.

How many he saves we dont know? Probably less than Shrader. How many of the saves were because throws were not made on time is also something we dont know.

If we run better, more plays come out of play action and less pressure will be caused that need to be saved.

I have seen all of McCord's games since he went to Ohio State (and really all of their games the last 4 years). To give you some background on his skillset and why he left...

McCord in his 3rd year was in a QB battle with Devin Brown (2nd year) right up until the first game. There was a portion of the OSU fanbase who wanted Devin Brown to start because he provides a dual thread option as a runner. When the season started, McCord didn't exactly light things on fire vs. Indiana and as is often the case, the backup QB becomes a fan favorite.

In a vacuum, his stats look good, but he has a tendency to be streaky with his accuracy. He often starts slow in the first half, but then plays much better later in the game. He threw an early pick against Michigan that set them up with first and goal early in the game. He was also pretty bad against Notre Dame in the first half and then played great down the stretch. His arm strength is good and he can make every throw on the field, but he gets panicky when there is pressure.

At OSU he was throwing to Marvin Harrison Jr (Biletnikoff winner), Emeka Egbuka (projected 1-2 round), Julian Fleming (5 star WR recruit), Carnell Tate (5 star WR recruit) and had Treveyon Henderson (1-2 round RB) and Cade Stover (NFL TE) as his options. He had a solid year at OSU, but their standard is ridiculously high. He threw 17 less touchdowns than CJ did a year earlier. 11-1 is great, but he had a very talented roster. OSU hasn't lost more than 2 games in a decade. Losing to Michigan and calling it just another game didn't help his cause, but the fanbase was way over the top in criticism.

Kyle wanted to know that he would be the starting QB over Devin Brown next year and Ryan Day did not give that guarantee (even in the recent press conference before bowl game). I think it was probably smart on both sides to split as he only has 1 year of eligibility left and I don't blame him for seeking assurances that he would start.

Overall, he's a solid QB who can make every throw. He probably will improve with a year of starts under his belt as well. I just hope he gets good protection from the o-line next year. By all accounts, he is well liked by his teammates, but it does sound like his father can be a bit of a pain, but nothing that detracts from the culture of the team, etc.

144% THIS.

Now, is he gonna juke dudes outta their jocks like Shredder or Dungey?
Nope. Not his game.

But he is excellent at moving in the pocket and stepping up, buying himself time to get a pass off.
and somethiing Tommy still makes mistakes with even on his current Giants run.. Peyton/Brady moved enough to make plays without running.

The Michigan staff did a great job of just minimizing risk in games. They have a really good defense and played it safe running the ball and mostly just throwing easy safe passes with well timed shots. McCarthy is good but not great at this point. He hasn't shown he can light it up offensively. He mostly has just been managing games and he managed them really well.

He had one total TD and one INT in his last 5 games.
He had an average of 124 yds passing over his last 4 games.

J.J. McCarthy 2023 Stats per Game - NCAAF - ESPN

McCord has missed some passes he should have hit and had some INT's he should have had. But he is a really good QB. Nobody is perfect and he was a first year starter. He should be considered an excellent get by Syracuse standards. Him not having any duel threat ability isn't optimal for historically how Syracuse offenses have performed. But this is a new era. We will find a way to adequately protect him. We had a set of very raw OT's this year. We should be able to improve here. I trust Fran will get it done and our current group will get better as well.

Also, I do not see any more rpo. We will run the ball and set up play action. We will finally use that position called TE. We also will have receivers that can beat single coverage.

The Michigan staff did a great job of just minimizing risk in games. They have a really good defense and played it safe running the ball and mostly just throwing easy safe passes with well timed shots. McCarthy is good but not great at this point. He hasn't shown he can light it up offensively. He mostly has just been managing games and he managed them really well.

He had one total TD and one INT in his last 5 games.
He had an average of 124 yds passing over his last 4 games.

J.J. McCarthy 2023 Stats per Game - NCAAF - ESPN

McCord has missed some passes he should have hit and had some INT's he should have had. But he is a really good QB. Nobody is perfect and he was a first year starter. He should be considered an excellent get by Syracuse standards. Him not having any duel threat ability isn't optimal for historically how Syracuse offenses have performed. But this is a new era. We will find a way to adequately protect him. We had a set of very raw OT's this year. We should be able to improve here. I trust Fran will get it done and our current group will get better as well.

I hope we don't completely abandon the wildcat/bobcat sets with Villari... would be good to keep those wrinkles as options and would help keep McCord healthy with a little less wear and tear.

He can move better than anyone gives him credit for. Look at the tape.
Will do. Wasn’t really commenting on McCord specifically as I really haven’t seen him play much. Just meant that, more broadly, I’m not sure how many qbs are truly great finding second or third options once the ball is snapped vs. understanding the defense and design of the routes and if the initial read isn’t there, going into improvise mode. I could be wrong and obviously the best of the best are doing this — just doesn’t seem like a skill a lot of qbs have, at least at this level.

...His arm strength is good and he can make every throw on the field, but he gets panicky when there is pressure. ...
Regarding this. Hopefully he just feels less pressure to perform while at Syracuse in general. The standards aren't as high here. He doesn't need to put up 400 yds a game like Stroud was and he likely won't have a strong back-up pushing him. As long as he can learn to just throw the ball away when needed and understands he doesn't need to make a play on every down. On those plays we just need him not to get an INT and sometimes he will even just need to take a sack and live to play another down. Not that he had a lot of INT's last year but he did also miss some throws under pressure as well. He is a solid QB. He should be able to get better mentally and confidence wise when getting pressured.

Regarding this. Hopefully he just feels less pressure to perform while at Syracuse in general. The standards aren't as high here. He doesn't need to put up 400 yds a game like Stroud was and he likely won't have a strong back-up pushing him. As long as he can learn to just throw the ball away when needed and understands he doesn't need to make a play on every down. On those plays we just need him not to get an INT and sometimes he will even just need to take a sack and live to play another down. Not that he had a lot of INT's last year but he did also miss some throws under pressure as well. He is a solid QB. He should be able to get better mentally and confidence wise when getting pressured.

Agree. He's not turnover prone, but he missed a lot of easy touchdowns. He was doomed from the start with the OSU fan base after all of the OSU media Devin Brown hype right before he was named the starter.

NJ guy like you, figured you’d be in hog heaven with recent developments

Or are you worried about Rutgers
You surfaced again? Go back and read your posts when babers was hired. truly embarrasing . No one could have been more wrong

Better question: how does he compare to Tommy? They seem similar if you compare to Tommy’s tape at Illinois, yes?

You surfaced again? Go back and read your posts when babers was hired. truly embarrasing . No one could have been more wrong
Haven't gone anywhere lol. Just like with Marrone, Shafer, and now Fran, I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt and my support until they prove me wrong.

You didn't answer my question. Are you excited as a Syracuse fan that we are in NJ recruiting? I thought that was your main critique of Babers?

Haven't gone anywhere lol. Just like with Marrone, Shafer, and now Fran, I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt and my support until they prove me wrong.

You didn't answer my question. Are you excited as a Syracuse fan that we are in NJ recruiting? I thought that was your main critique of Babers?
you do not deserve a answer. you already formulated your own. not playing your childish game

you do not deserve a answer. you already formulated your own. not playing your childish game
Eh, ok. I was being honest. Really was curious.

Oh well, ignore function is good stuff.

I have seen all of McCord's games since he went to Ohio State (and really all of their games the last 4 years). To give you some background on his skillset and why he left...

McCord in his 3rd year was in a QB battle with Devin Brown (2nd year) right up until the first game. There was a portion of the OSU fanbase who wanted Devin Brown to start because he provides a dual thread option as a runner. When the season started, McCord didn't exactly light things on fire vs. Indiana and as is often the case, the backup QB becomes a fan favorite.

In a vacuum, his stats look good, but he has a tendency to be streaky with his accuracy. He often starts slow in the first half, but then plays much better later in the game. He threw an early pick against Michigan that set them up with first and goal early in the game. He was also pretty bad against Notre Dame in the first half and then played great down the stretch. His arm strength is good and he can make every throw on the field, but he gets panicky when there is pressure.

At OSU he was throwing to Marvin Harrison Jr (Biletnikoff winner), Emeka Egbuka (projected 1-2 round), Julian Fleming (5 star WR recruit), Carnell Tate (5 star WR recruit) and had Treveyon Henderson (1-2 round RB) and Cade Stover (NFL TE) as his options. He had a solid year at OSU, but their standard is ridiculously high. He threw 17 less touchdowns than CJ did a year earlier. 11-1 is great, but he had a very talented roster. OSU hasn't lost more than 2 games in a decade. Losing to Michigan and calling it just another game didn't help his cause, but the fanbase was way over the top in criticism.

Kyle wanted to know that he would be the starting QB over Devin Brown next year and Ryan Day did not give that guarantee (even in the recent press conference before bowl game). I think it was probably smart on both sides to split as he only has 1 year of eligibility left and I don't blame him for seeking assurances that he would start.

Overall, he's a solid QB who can make every throw. He probably will improve with a year of starts under his belt as well. I just hope he gets good protection from the o-line next year. By all accounts, he is well liked by his teammates, but it does sound like his father can be a bit of a pain, but nothing that detracts from the culture of the team, etc.

One massive position group you didn’t mention, the OL.

They weren’t great and had been a question mark going into the season.

Doesn’t fully excuse McCord’s gaffes in total, but it can’t be ignored.

Also, Egbuka was injured most of this year.

And, they had the #2 RB go down for the year and Henderson was injured and missed time.

So you are talking a subpar OL (for OSU/team looking for a title standards) and an NFL level WR playing way below that due to injury and serious issues at RB.

I’m not saying McCord is all world. But they had significant issues on offense and it’s not like Kyle Shanahan is calling the plays for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom