Melo getting D Rose | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Melo getting D Rose

The thing is, Rose hasn't been anything close to that player for 4 years. I really don't see it as a gamble worth taking.

The organization had to do something at PG, though. The guys on the roster just weren't going to cut it and they needed to trade away Calderon. Conley would have been a nice addition from free agency but then the Knicks would need to find somebody else willing to take Jose.

The organization had to do something at PG, though. The guys on the roster just weren't going to cut it and they needed to trade away Calderon. Conley would have been a nice addition from free agency but then the Knicks would need to find somebody else willing to take Jose.

They could have used the stretch provision on Calderon.

Like I said, I can at least understand the trade if the whole point is simply to let Rose expire and have basically no money guaranteed to anyone besides Melo and Porzingis for the following season, but if the plan is to build around Rose and Dwight/Noah as long term pieces, this is an awful plan.

The Knicks have been so bad for so long, I think building a winner again through Free agency is also a long shot. What is the attraction to the elite players now, given their track record and MSG in decay?

It's not exactly the same, but point is when those Bulls were considered so "loaded", Rose and Noah were two of the first three names everyone mentioned. That was two years ago. So either those guys are really good pickups for the Knicks...or the Bulls situation wasnt quite as great as many tried to hype it up to be(that's my opinon...i had no confidence Rose would be back, and expected Noah to come back to earth)

I think that is kind of a stretch. In 2014 noah was all NBA first team. He's obviously nowhere near that player anymore. Rose I can give you, but Noah was probably playing above his head in that year, but I don't think anyone expected him to fall as far as he did. And Jimmy Butler is pretty good as well.

Lopez greatest value was he didn't require shots. That will be an important factor in whoever they sign to play the 5 ( I don't think KP logs a majority of minutes at the 5 unless the wheels are coming off). They need a 2 who can facilitate as well. Someone on the radio mentioned Evan Turner and that makes some sense. Whoever plays with Melo and Rose needs to know they are option 4 for shots, option 1 for helping others get shots.

I think that is kind of a stretch. In 2014 noah was all NBA first team. He's obviously nowhere near that player anymore. Rose I can give you, but Noah was probably playing above his head in that year, but I don't think anyone expected him to fall as far as he did. And Jimmy Butler is pretty good as well.

I didnt see them being more than a good team even with Melo. They got Gasol instead of Melo and topped out as a second round team.

I was never as high on Noah as some, even though he did have a great year.

It's not exactly the same, but point is when those Bulls were considered so "loaded", Rose and Noah were two of the first three names everyone mentioned. That was two years ago. So either those guys are really good pickups for the Knicks...or the Bulls situation wasnt quite as great as many tried to hype it up to be(that's my opinon...i had no confidence Rose would be back, and expected Noah to come back to earth)
I screamed from every rooftop that Melo going to the bulls would've been an unmitigated disaster.

the bulls turned out exactly like I envisioned.

and yes, there was 1 person here in particular who screamed back at me that I was wrong after every single post and declared that Melo not going to Chicago would be the equivalent of career suicide if I recall correctly.

and now...

I didnt see them being more than a good team even with Melo. They got Gasol instead of Melo and topped out as a second round team.

I didn't think they'd ever challenge Miami/Cleveland/wherever Lebron was, if that's what youre saying.

The Knicks have been so bad for so long, I think building a winner again through Free agency is also a long shot. What is the attraction to the elite players now, given their track record and MSG in decay?

NYC is still a pretty solid attraction and the organization is still making money hand over fist. With Phil in the fold and a coaching change seemingly for the better, there aren't a whole lot of more attractive teams. Melo is shedding some of the ball hog stigma and KP is an excellent young player to play with. As for MSG, did you mean the building itself is in decay? I wouldn't imagine the prettiness of a building, especially one with as much history as MSG, is going to factor into a player's decision. At least, I hope it wouldn't.

That's fair. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know one of the things I argued was their success even when Rose was out and thought if he came back it would've only been icing on the cake. I attributed most of that to Tom Thibodeau and their defense. I thought adding Melo would've given them the offense they were missing. To me, this situation is completely different.

MSG is most certainly NOT in decay.

it just underwent a 3 year 1 BILLION $$ makeover.

there is even a 3 year tv show on it if youre bored.

it was cool when it was happening though...

I agree, with the one exception being that if Porzingis takes another step this year and looks like a potential franchise type guy, he + NYC could attract someone, and the free agents class is stacked next year.

Steph (hard to imagine any world that he leaves Golden State)
Westbrook
Blake Griffin
Probably Durant
Giannis (no chance he leaves Milwaukee though)
CP3
Rudy Gobert (would be pretty shocked if Utah lets him go)
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Lowry
Dennis Schroder (restricted)
Paul Millsap
Oladipo (restricted but attainable IMO)
Rose
Jeff Teague
Serge Ibaka
Steven Adams (restricted, probably depends on what happens with Durant/Westbrook)
Jrue Holiday
Greg Monroe

A bunch of guys will be restricted, but there will certainly be an opportunity for the Knicks to make use of their cap space next year, and it's easier to do so if you have space to bring in multiple studs rather than just one.

I think the difference there is that Gasol was past his prime whereas Melo was still in his. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered though.

I didn't think they'd ever challenge Miami/Cleveland/wherever Lebron was, if that's what youre saying.
And if that's the case the only answer, if championships are the goal, is to team up with Lebron. Somewhat similar to what every star during the MJ era had to deal with.

I agree, with the one exception being that if Porzingis takes another step this year and looks like a potential franchise type guy, he + NYC could attract someone, and the free agents class is stacked next year.

Steph (hard to imagine any world that he leaves Golden State)
Westbrook
Blake Griffin
Probably Durant
Giannis (no chance he leaves Milwaukee though)
CP3
Rudy Gobert (would be pretty shocked if Utah lets him go)
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Lowry
Dennis Schroder (restricted)
Paul Millsap
Oladipo (restricted but attainable IMO)
Rose
Jeff Teague
Serge Ibaka
Steven Adams (restricted, probably depends on what happens with Durant/Westbrook)
Jrue Holiday
Greg Monroe

A bunch of guys will be restricted, but there will certainly be an opportunity for the Knicks to make use of their cap space next year, and it's easier to do so if you have space to bring in multiple studs rather than just one.

A lot of those guys are restricted, which takes them out of play. Giannis and Gobert for sure, right?

Also Monroe, not like he's a huge name on the list, but he's got 2 years left. And I bet lebron is a FA next season, though I doubt he goes anywhere.

A lot of those guys are restricted, which takes them out of play. Giannis and Gobert for sure, right?

Also Monroe, not like he's a huge name on the list, but he's got 2 years left. And I bet lebron is a FA next season, though I doubt he goes anywhere.

Monroe will be a free agent next year. He has an opt-out and he'll surely get more than $18 mil on the market. But yeah, Giannis and Gobert are restricted. Giannis is expected to sign a max extension this offseason. I'd guess Gobert will likely be matched, but it might depend on what he does this upcoming season. He took a step back this year pretty much across the board.

D Rose is a small term bet so the Knicks can be entertaining and sell tickets for one year.

After this year, they let him walk, trade Melo and build around the return from the Melo trade and KP.

Everything else is noise.

My hope is that:

- Knicks lose enough this year to get a lottery pick next year, in one of the best drafts in a long time. HELLO LONZO BALL!
- LAC are in disarray enough that they trade Blake for Melo
- Bron does Super Friends II with the LAC and the east ends up wide open for the Knicks to make a move.

Stop worrying about this year. We want to lose enough to get Lonzo Ball.

I think the difference there is that Gasol was past his prime whereas Melo was still in his. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered though.

I think that was more perception than anything though. Gasol had that one bad year where Dantoni misused him, and was getting older. His last year with the Lakers was back to form, and he's had two excellent years in Chicago.

D Rose is a small term bet so the Knicks can be entertaining and sell tickets for one year.

After this year, they let him walk, trade Melo and build around the return from the Melo trade and KP.

Everything else is noise.

My hope is that:

- Knicks lose enough this year to get a lottery pick next year, in one of the best drafts in a long time. HELLO LONZO BALL!
- LAC are in disarray enough that they trade Blake for Melo
- Bron does Super Friends II with the LAC and the east ends up wide open for the Knicks to make a move.

Stop worrying about this year. We want to lose enough to get Lonzo Ball.

Melo has a no trade clause, no? You think he'll waive it?

I screamed from every rooftop that Melo going to the bulls would've been an unmitigated disaster.

and yes, there was 1 person here in particular who screamed back at me that I was wrong after every single post and declared that Melo not going to Chicago would be the equivalent of career suicide if I recall correctly.

and now...

he wasted 2 prime years as a knick. do you really think you have been proven right? Signing with the knicks was an unmitigated disaster as everyone predicted.

Hopefully, this works - but he still wasted 2 prime years and he wouldn't have wasted 1 had he gone to the bulls.

and now...

How would that have been a disaster, but staying was somehow brilliant? Him and Butler alone would've had more success last year during the Bulls injury debacle season than anything that's happened in New York in the last couple years. Team was a 3 seed without Melo in '14-15 and the Knicks finished dead ass last in the East with him but sure that would've been career suicide since finishing in the tank during the last years of your prime is somehow a better situation.

he wasted 2 prime years as a knick. do you really think you have been proven right? Signing with the knicks was an unmitigated disaster as everyone predicted.

Hopefully, this works - but he still wasted 2 prime years and he wouldn't have wasted 1 had he gone to the bulls.

So confused...

i don't see the bulls being any higher a seed in 15 or this year with Melo.

so he missed out on 12 playoff games last year and none this year..big whoop.

and he would've been doing it for less $$.

his dream of being on a NYK title team is still in place.

if rose gives them anything and KP improves, 50 wins is reachable and so is a nice playoff run.

provided they don't see the cavs for a bit...

F toronto

Monroe will be a free agent next year. He has an opt-out and he'll surely get more than $18 mil on the market. But yeah, Giannis and Gobert are restricted. Giannis is expected to sign a max extension this offseason. I'd guess Gobert will likely be matched, but it might depend on what he does this upcoming season. He took a step back this year pretty much across the board.

Forgot about the opt out. Good call.

They pretty much sell out every game still, somehow. (And I've had season tickets for over a decade, so I'm one of th e suckers)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom