Mintz to NBA Draft | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mintz to NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish him well always but I think he’s Johnny Flynn 2.0 in the league unfortunately. I hope he makes Flynn type of money but he’s stuck in between so many things
Flynn was the 6th overall pick and scored 1,000 points while starting all 81 games his rookie season.

Here's the list of all of the Syracuse players to do that:
Carmelo Anthony​
Jonny Flynn​

Dropping the starts to 60 games gives us this list (ordered by points scored):
Carmelo Anthony​
Derrick Coleman​
Michael Carter-Williams​
Sherman Douglas​
Billy Owens​
Jonny Flynn​

That's it. The hip injury and Kurt Rambis really derailed his career.

Does Judah Mintz have things he can improve?
Of course
Every player does.

But he should be appreciated while he’s here because without him the Orange would win very few games.

And he is one of the most exciting players in college ball.

Does Judah Mintz have things he can improve?
Of course
Every player does.

But he should be appreciated while he’s here because without him the Orange would win very few games.

And he is one of the most exciting players in college ball.
This is a thread about his draft status. Please feel free to start your own Judah appreciation thread

Sorry that you have to deal with some of the morons on here. I for one am a huge fan of Judah. He’s an amazing point guard. Extremely talented scorer and just knows how to ball. It’s unfortunate to say but the people on here who always have something negative to say when it’s not warranted are garbage fans and I can promise you they don’t represent our fan base as a whole.. they criticize our guys even when it’s clearly unwarranted. I saw a lot of talk that he’s not a leader. Not a leader… really? Everyone loves playing with them and it shows on the court.. It’s just laughable. Sorry you have to deal with us. But I can promise you a majority of Syracuse fans, and not the ones that sit on message boards all day typing out their crappy opinions that NOBODY cares about loves Judah. He’s got a fan for life in me. We will miss him a lot when he’s gone.
I’m a huge fan of CJ Fair and Tyus Battle, doesn’t mean they were nor ever thought they were first rounders.

Not sure how thinking someone isn’t a first rounder is a moron.

Most of the criticism has been constructive. Everyone wishes Judah the best and are merely voicing their opinions on what he needs to do to be a solid 1st rounder and to get his teammates more involved. The meat of the season (ACC) begins this weekend. We have some solid teams on the schedule so it will be interesting to see how he and the team play against teams like Duke, NC, Clemson and Miami, including the individual matchup against solid ACC guards and what was learned/changed since the Virginia game.
All you need to do is look at what he did against conference competition last year. He was freshman of the week 15 times 2 less than Filipowski. Big games vs Duke, North Carolina, UVA, NCState, BC, won the 1st game vs Notre Dame, played well in the second game vs Fla State, GT, Louisville, big home game vs Pitt, played well in second game at Pitt, played well vs Vtech twice, played well vs Wake Forest twice, double double vs Georgetown. I could go on. Only played poorly vs Miami and despite getting a charge vs UNC at the end, played well over all. By the way, that charge would be a block this year. I thought it was last year. He lead the conference in steals, top 5 in assists, top ten in scoring, and shot the 3 better the last 8 games of the season, all while being the 3rd leading scorer among freshmen in the nation and 1or 2 in assists. He was second in scoring on the team behind Joe by a tenth of a point or something like that playing in an offense that relied on his iso ability. Defenses knew he was getting to the rim but still couldn’t stop him. And when he didn’t get to the rim he made a good percentage of mid range pull ups. He did all this while learning to play the point guard position because he had always been a combo guard or two guard. Rather nitpicking his game y’all should have an appreciation for what he’s done and still does. FACTS!!

All this negative criticism of Judah is unfounded and in some ways asinine. First of all don’t put too much stock in mock drafts. They’re all over the place. I’ve seen him in the mid to late 1st to mid to low 2nd. Second of all, he’s up in every category from last year except assists which is slightly down. Thirdly, he has to score for this team to have a shot to win, plus he doesn’t have Jesse for lobs and pick n rolls and Joe for kick outs like last year. He’s not only a good passer but a willing passer, just ask his Hall of Fame high school coach, Oak Hill’s Steve Smith and his AAU coach. Fourthly, his strength is underrated, just ask his fitness and strength trainer back home and on SU’s staff. He’s stronger than he looks. He’s not buffed but wiry like DeArron Fox. How do you think he finishes through contact? He falls down a lot because of how he at times contorts his body, and gets to the line which is valued by the NBA. He’s second in the nation to Zack Edey in getting to the line and shooting an impressive percentage. He’s giving his team and coaches just what they need. Ifvhenn bc played on a more talented team his assists would be up but he’d still be a scoring point guard. All this hating on Judah if he could see it would only serve as fuel for him. But then again perhaps not because he only knows his worth and is very confident in his abilities. Question I have for all you doubters is would you rather he was not in the team? Lastly, to say Judah was shut down by Reece Beekman is simply untrue. Even Beekman admitted that he was a tough cover and that he had help in guarding him which was a very classy thing to say. And this is from a guy who went up against him at the NBA combine. That was a bad game for Judah but it wasn’t all his fault. They kept running the same offense which wasn’t working. The coaches gotta take some of that blame. Every time he got the ball they hard hedged to take the ball out of his hand. Maybe some guard on guard screens might have helped, and certainly some better outside shooting would have helped. Hopefully that will happen next time we play them. I tend to think so. Red will definitely make some adjustments from last game and Judah will have a much better game. In the final analysis Judah will be in the NBA next year. Where he goes is still up in the air, but I’m sure he’s gonna surprise all you naysayers.

You are using aggregate stats for your evaluation of Judah.

Tell me what team should draft him in the first round please?

You *really* want to compare him to Fox? Really? Give me a break.

All you need to do is look at what he did against conference competition last year. He was freshman of the week 15 times 2 less than Filipowski. Big games vs Duke, North Carolina, UVA, NCState, BC, won the 1st game vs Notre Dame, played well in the second game vs Fla State, GT, Louisville, big home game vs Pitt, played well in second game at Pitt, played well vs Vtech twice, played well vs Wake Forest twice, double double vs Georgetown. I could go on. Only played poorly vs Miami and despite getting a charge vs UNC at the end, played well over all. By the way, that charge would be a block this year. I thought it was last year. He lead the conference in steals, top 5 in assists, top ten in scoring, and shot the 3 better the last 8 games of the season, all while being the 3rd leading scorer among freshmen in the nation and 1or 2 in assists. He was second in scoring on the team behind Joe by a tenth of a point or something like that playing in an offense that relied on his iso ability. Defenses knew he was getting to the rim but still couldn’t stop him. And when he didn’t get to the rim he made a good percentage of mid range pull ups. He did all this while learning to play the point guard position because he had always been a combo guard or two guard. Rather nitpicking his game y’all should have an appreciation for what he’s done and still does. FACTS!!
Judah is awesome, I think we all consider ourselves very lucky to have him on the Orange. I hope he has a long and productive career.

Judah is awesome, I think we all consider ourselves very lucky to have him on the Orange. I hope he has a long and productive career.

Yes. He’s great in college. No doubt. Happy to have him.

This sensitivity to how he’s going to do relative to someone like Fox or whatever is insane.

Yes. He’s great in college. No doubt. Happy to have him.

This sensitivity to how he’s going to do relative to someone like Fox or whatever is insane.
If he were your family member, you might take issue with all the criticism, as well. I am fairly sure I would. So, perhaps we should understand this and not escalate an argument that is going nowhere.

If he were your family member, you might take issue with all the criticism, as well. I am fairly sure I would. So, perhaps we should understand this and not escalate an argument that is going nowhere.

It’s an internet message board. If you’re taking advice from this board you have much bigger issues.

It’s an internet message board. If you’re taking advice from this board you have much bigger issues.
Yeah, he doesn't have to read the takes of fans. That would probably be the best thing for the Mintz family. I am sure they are relying on the input of much more connected people than we have here. I guess I am just empathizing with him, because I would likely react the same way.

I wish he could stay here four years! He's great! I don't think anyone said they don't want him on this team.

Nitpicking is what this thread is for. NBA teams will be nitpicking worse than this. Reserve your (understandable) defensiveness for another thread.

The appreciation is there without a doubt. As a message board, fans discuss players, the games, draft potential, how a player or team can get better, etc. Go to any D1 school message board and you'll see the same or worse (UK, Duke, Kansas). Please don't take it personal. Both Judah and Filipowski had a great freshman year as you've mentioned, but scouts nitpicked their shortcomings and thought it was best they both go back to school to get better. Duke and Syracuse are better with the presence of both.

Last edited:
I, for one love watching Judah play. It has been a very long time since Syracuse has had a player who is as exciting to watch as he is.

I don’t think it is a question that he is a special player.

The OP asked what he could do to move from the second round of the draft to the first.

He is projected to be drafted mid-second round, or about the 45 th player to be drafted.

per google 450 million people worldwide play the sport of basketball.

that is truly amazing.

Are there parts of his game that can be improved, most certainly.

But please keep this in perspectiv.

we are not degrading Judah, just discussing what he may have to do to climb 15 spots to make it to the first round.

I would rather he not get drafted so he could stay at Syracuse for two more years.

Smallish, poor to fair 3 point shooter, average at best athleticism, as compared to NBA players, poor distributor, erratic defense.

Lawrence Moten was the all time leading scorer in Big East history. FACT. 2nd Round Pick.

Othello Harrington. Big East freshman of the year. 2nd team all American as a freshman. FACT. 2nd Round Pick.

Drew Timme. 3 time consensus All American. 1st team as a senior. FACT. Undrafted.

Very good to great college players often don’t even sniff the draft, let alone the first round.

Smallish, poor to fair 3 point shooter, average at best athleticism, as compared to NBA players, poor distributor, erratic defense.

Lawrence Moten was the all time leading scorer in Big East history. FACT. 2nd Round Pick.

Othello Harrington. Big East freshman of the year. 2nd team all American as a freshman. FACT. 2nd Round Pick.

Drew Timme. 3 time consensus All American. 1st team as a senior. FACT. Undrafted.

Very good to great college players often don’t even sniff the draft, let alone the first round.

To play Devil's advocate and to compare to someone who actually plays his position...

Just as tall, Better 3 pt shooter, more APG, more PPG than Cason Wallace who was a lottery pick last year.

Do I think he'll be a 1st rounder? Maybe. Lottery? No. But comparing him to Drew Timme who has no position in the NBA is dumb.

To play Devil's advocate and to compare to someone who actually plays his position...

Just as tall, Better 3 pt shooter, more APG, more PPG than Cason Wallace who was a lottery pick last year.

Do I think he'll be a 1st rounder? Maybe. Lottery? No. But comparing him to Drew Timme who has no position in the NBA is dumb.
I don't believe the Captain was comparing Judah position and skill wise to Timme. Mr. Mintz was extensively listing achievements and noted accomplishments by Judah, and so the Captain was simply using Timme as a reference point for someone who also had outstanding achievements and accomplishments as a college player but still did not get drafted.

These are the last comments I’ll make regarding my grandson. And then I’m done with this board. I don’t know whether Judah will go in the first round or not. But I won’t be surprised if he does. What I do believe is that he’ll be drafted and will have a long and successful career. If he goes in the second round, perhaps early to mid, some team will get a steal. As talented as he is, it’s his extraordinary work ethics and competitiveness that will take him far. He’s always overcome the odds. When guys like Keyonte George who he gave a 30 piece to and JJ Starling who he gave 27 to in high school were 5 stars and McDonald All Americans, he never felt inferior to them. He always believed in himself and continues to do so. He’s been working hard since he was 5 years old, and there’s nothing that will stop him from achieving his dream save some sort of injury, God forbid! The people that Judah and his family are talking to are far more knowledgeable than y’all NBA wannabe evaluators, and that’s all that matters. Judah has areas to work on as does any player going into the league. Nobody is a perfect player going in, nobody! But his family, friends and church community believes in him and he believes in himself. He’s a good player who’s gonna get better. And more importantly, and I tell him all the time, he’s as good a person as he is a basketball player if not better. God has marked his path as his other grandfather who was a pastor before he passed in September would often say. He just has to follow that path by playing to God’s glory, which he will while also dedicating this season to his deceased grandfather whom he honors by kneeling before every game. Selah!

These are the last comments I’ll make regarding my grandson. And then I’m done with this board. I don’t know whether Judah will go in the first round or not. But I won’t be surprised if he does. What I do believe is that he’ll be drafted and will have a long and successful career. If he goes in the second round, perhaps early to mid, some team will get a steal. As talented as he is, it’s his extraordinary work ethics and competitiveness that will take him far. He’s always overcome the odds. When guys like Keyonte George who he gave a 30 piece to and JJ Starling who he gave 27 to in high school were 5 stars and McDonald All Americans, he never felt inferior to them. He always believed in himself and continues to do so. He’s been working hard since he was 5 years old, and there’s nothing that will stop him from achieving his dream save some sort of injury, God forbid! The people that Judah and his family are talking to are far more knowledgeable than y’all NBA wannabe evaluators, and that’s all that matters. Judah has areas to work on as does any player going into the league. Nobody is a perfect player going in, nobody! But his family, friends and church community believes in him and he believes in himself. He’s a good player who’s gonna get better. And more importantly, and I tell him all the time, he’s as good a person as he is a basketball player if not better. God has marked his path as his other grandfather who was a pastor before he passed in September would often say. He just has to follow that path by playing to God’s glory, which he will while also dedicating this season to his deceased grandfather whom he honors by kneeling before every game. Selah!
Your grandson is a hell of a college player. He will be an all time SU favorite. Selfishly, I’d love to see him here for at least 3 years.
Whether he is 1st round, 2nd round or a FA, he will get an opportunity and will make the most of it he can.
Most importantly, he seems to be a very intelligent and thoughtful young man who is liked by his teammates and coaches. Well done by you and the rest of his family.

I don't believe the Captain was comparing Judah position and skill wise to Timme. Mr. Mintz was extensively listing achievements and noted accomplishments by Judah, and so the Captain was simply using Timme as a reference point for someone who also had outstanding achievements and accomplishments as a college player but still did not get drafted.
"Smallish, poor to fair 3 point shooter, average at best athleticism, as compared to NBA players, poor distributor, erratic defense."

...is bringing the skill evaluation into the picture.

Drew Timme wasn't drafted specifically due to his position not existing in the NBA. Judah's does. It's apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom