NBA Draft Tonight | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

Was watching ESPN before work this morning and started thinking that baseball needs to figure out a way to have some semblance of a storyline if it wants to stay relevant.

Baseball starts up and Basketball's Regular Season winds down, then we have 2 months of wall to wall Playoff coverage. Then we get to the summer, baseball is in full swing and we have the NBA Draft and NBA Free Agency. FA usually dominates sports talk for the month of July. Then August comes and the talk switches to CFB and the NFL. Then Baseball has it's Playoffs when the NFL starts up.

The Big 3 is no longer NFL-NBA-MLB. It's becoming NFL-NBA-CFB with MLB and CBB rounding out the top 5. At least CBB gets March to itself. I get that baseball still has it's hardcore fans but as the older fans get phased out, they have a problem.

Don't mind Monroe, I'd rather have LMA or Jordan but doubt that happens, and lots of people think Monroe could really flourish in the Knicks system and be a 20/10 guy.

Afflalo, at that contract, is disgusting.

Yeah, I t hink Monroe is a better fit on other teams, but paying him $15 million as the cap explodes is not a big deal. Afflalo would be a disaster I think.

I dunno, baseball may be more of a regional sport because the NBA is more about individual stars/personalities, but just perusing google, MLB had roughly $9 billion in revenue last year, the NBA is roughly in the $5 million range. I know the new tv contract is going to kick in soon, but MLB still generates a lot more revenue than the NBA. And for the talk about older fans, which maybe is true (but seemingly has always been true), what's the #1 grossing sports app? At Bat. They're really further ahead of the game with that stuff than any other sports league.

The last point I'd make is that ESPN pays MLB about $700 million a year in their TV deal. The latest NBA tv contract was $2.66 billion, that's not all ESPN, it's split with Turner, but considering ESPN is televising the finals, I'm sure they're paying more for the NBA coverage than for MLB coverage, which has somethignt o do with what they focus on.

Afflalo at 13 million per year is insane. Monroe everyone knew since Isola reported it in May was getting a max deal from the NYK. He is a good defender and passer but he is more of a 4 than a 5. He will play 5 for the NYK or Melo will be forced to defend SFs.

NYK with Monroe, Afflalo, and West are at best a mid 40s win team. I don't see them winning 40+ games, but Phil Jackson better be ready to work the entire 5 years.

Was watching ESPN before work this morning and started thinking that baseball needs to figure out a way to have some semblance of a storyline if it wants to stay relevant.

Baseball starts up and Basketball's Regular Season winds down, then we have 2 months of wall to wall Playoff coverage. Then we get to the summer, baseball is in full swing and we have the NBA Draft and NBA Free Agency. FA usually dominates sports talk for the month of July. Then August comes and the talk switches to CFB and the NFL. Then Baseball has it's Playoffs when the NFL starts up.

The Big 3 is no longer NFL-NBA-MLB. It's becoming NFL-NBA-CFB with MLB and CBB rounding out the top 5. At least CBB gets March to itself. I get that baseball still has it's hardcore fans but as the older fans get phased out, they have a problem.

I think the younger "ADD" generation can't deal with the slow pace of baseball. We get people on here explaining that student attendance is down at football games because of the poor wifi not allowing them to be on their smartphones all game long. Baseball must be torture to them.

You're 100% right. I used to be the biggest baseball fan out there, watching at least 120 out of my teams 162 games. After a few years I realize it dominate my life and was quite boring. I don't think I've watched a baseball game from beginning to end in 6 years. They've created too many villains, there is really nobody that has brought it back. Baseball lost its Michael Jordan when Jeter retired/the Yankees became not dominate.

It's sad because there are so many talented great players out there. It just seems baseball is forced fed to its fans, they need to fix it some how before its really irrelevant.

Afflalo at 13 million per year is insane. Monroe everyone knew since Isola reported it in May was getting a max deal from the NYK. He is a good defender and passer but he is more of a 4 than a 5. He will play 5 for the NYK or Melo will be forced to defend SFs.

NYK with Monroe, Afflalo, and West are at best a mid 40s win team. I don't see them winning 40+ games, but Phil Jackson better be ready to work the entire 5 years.

Not sure they can even get West, Monroe at 15 and Afflalo at 12 eats up pretty much all the available cap space. West opted out of 1/12, I assume he thinks he can sign for 2 or 3 years at around 7 or 8 per?

Baseball for me is a casual sport till July 4th. I follow the games, but I can't watch a full nine inning game unless I attend live. It is just so slow and can be boring. It is also lost a lot of offense with the PEDs and greenies being taken out of the game. Pitching is so dominant and I don't mind a 1-0 or 2-1 game, but they shouldn't take 3 hours plus. When Baltimore-Chicago played an empty stadium game in May that game only took 2 hours and 20 minutes. If baseball was a 2 hour and 30 minute game it would be a lot more tolerable. I can't watch 3 hour 20 minutes games 5 days a week.

Baseball for me is a casual sport till July 4th. I follow the games, but I can't watch a full nine inning game unless I attend live. It is just so slow and can be boring. It is also lost a lot of offense with the PEDs and greenies being taken out of the game. Pitching is so dominant and I don't mind a 1-0 or 2-1 game, but they shouldn't take 3 hours plus. When Baltimore-Chicago played an empty stadium game in May that game only took 2 hours and 20 minutes. If baseball was a 2 hour and 30 minute game it would be a lot more tolerable. I can't watch 3 hour 20 minutes games 5 days a week.

I feel the same way, I am a huge mets fan and find myself having a hard time watching full games. I will watch a few innings, put on a show, and come back for the rest of the game.

Monroe is getting 4 yrs 64 million most likely. When I hear Lopez is going to get 3 years 48 million from Brooklyn. I like Monroe more.

Afflalo isn't even a consensus top 30 FA. If Phil gives him 12 million a year he is nuts.

Monroe is getting 4 yrs 64 million most likely. When I hear Lopez is going to get 3 years 48 million from Brooklyn. I like Monroe more.

Afflalo isn't even a consensus top 30 FA. If Phil gives him 12 million a year he is nuts.

That is insane, Brook Lopez can't go a week without getting hurt.

That is insane, Brook Lopez can't go a week without getting hurt.
Lopez and Thad Young have Brooklyn over a barrel. They have no cap space and no first round picks. So they can either use their Bird rights and resign those guys or they go away and Brooklyn loses two decent pieces and helps Danny Ainge and the Celtics by being worse.

Brooklyn has to sign and trade Lopez and Young, resign and remain mediocre, or they will be a top 5 lottery team without a first round pick till 2019. Billy King is a great GM.

I've warmed up to Monroe, mainly because people seem to think he can beast in NY and he had a stretch where he was great last year so the potential is there. Afflalo at that price tag would seriously make me question Phil even more than I do. That is insane.

I think the trio of high price FA's comes with the assumption the Knicks can somehow move Calderon.

Are the Cavs seriously about to move Haywood for Splitter? What are they going to do with all these immobile clunky bigs?

If Monroe could shoot a little better in the midrange he would be an all-star. His defense, passing, and intelligence is well above average. He is worth 4 yr 64 million. The problem is he will forced to play 5 where in Detroit after his rookie year he played 4 with Drummond at 5.

Honestly NYK fans should hope the Afflalo rumor is wrong.DeMarre Carroll must be getting more than 12 million per year if Aaron Afflalo gets 3 yrs 39 million from NYK.

Are the Cavs seriously about to move Haywood for Splitter? What are they going to do with all these immobile clunky bigs?
Haywood's contract isn't guaranteed they are turning a contract into an asset. Splitter helps them and SA can waive Haywood and have more salary cap room for Aldridge and won't pay the tax when they factor in Leonard's extension. SA could possibly resign Danny Green with Splitter's cap room.

Can't have Thompson/Mozgov/Splitter, plus maybe Andy, on the roster

Haywood's contract isn't guaranteed they are turning a contract into an asset. Splitter helps them and SA can waive Haywood and have more salary cap room for Aldridge and won't pay the tax when they factor in Leonard's extension. SA could possibly resign Danny Green with Splitter's cap room.
I get why SA is doing it. I don't understand Cleveland's desire to make this move and tie up cap space in another big who's exactly like Mozgov and Thompson.

Lopez and Thad Young have Brooklyn over a barrel. They have no cap space and no first round picks. So they can either use their Bird rights and resign those guys or they go away and Brooklyn loses two decent pieces and helps Danny Ainge and the Celtics by being worse.

Brooklyn has to sign and trade Lopez and Young, resign and remain mediocre, or they will be a top 5 lottery team without a first round pick till 2019. Billy King is a great GM.

They are better off cleaning house and becoming a lottery team, they need to completely rebuild.

Mozgov and Thompson are RFA. Varejao has 3 yrs left, but he and Thompson play the same role IMO.

I have confidence David Griffin, et al., know what they're doing, They've made offers to three of their FA's -- Shumpert, Thompson and Dellavedova --but none, so far, to JR. He's gonzo, I'm guessing. I'm intrigued by all the talk about the Cavs eying Dunleavy -- junior, not senior -- in part because LeBron would like him on the team. Not a bad piece. http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/qualifying-offers-150630

I have confidence David Griffin, et al., know what they're doing, They've made offers to three of their FA's -- Shumpert, Thompson and Dellavedova --but none, so far, to JR. He's gonzo, I'm guessing. I'm intrigued by all the talk about the Cavs eying Dunleavy -- junior, not senior -- in part because LeBron would like him on the team. Not a bad piece. http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/qualifying-offers-150630
Mike Dunleavy would be a great piece for them.

They are better off cleaning house and becoming a lottery team, they need to completely rebuild.
Brooklyn's 2016 first round pick is owned by Boston.
2017 Boston has the right to swap spots in the first round with Brooklyn.
Brooklyn's 2018 first round pick is owned by Boston.

They can not clean house and become a lottery team. That is why they gambled on Chris McCollough's talent at 29.

Brooklyn's 2016 first round pick is owned by Boston.
2017 Boston has the right to swap spots in the first round with Brooklyn.
Brooklyn's 2018 first round pick is owned by Boston.

They can not clean house and become a lottery team. That is why they gambled on Chris McCollough's talent at 29.

I knew they were down some picks, I didn't realize they gave up that many picks. How does Billy King still have a job?

I knew they were down some picks, I didn't realize they gave up that many picks. How does Billy King still have a job?

The Celtics fleeced Brooklyn for two over the hill veterans. And not that any of those picks have turned into extremely high draft picks yet for Boston, but having so many extra first rounders really helped to jump start their rebuild.

Mike Dunleavy would be a great piece for them.
I agree. Never thought of that till I heard today that the Cavs, and LeBron, may go after him. Maybe he'd be JR's replacement. I became a JR fan in his few months as a Cav, but I also realize he's too much of a loose cannon to rely on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom