NBA Draft Tonight | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

Wow. Spurs resign Leonard AND Green, while unloading Tiago to Atlanta. Setting up perfectly to get Aldridge.

Wow. Spurs resign Leonard AND Green, while unloading Tiago to Atlanta. Setting up perfectly to get Aldridge.

They may be able to move CoJo and keep Patty Mills as well.

This is incredible.

If they run this team back with all the key parts PLUS LaMarcus, look out.

They were one win away from the 2 seed with a team that was insanely banged up that went 1-6 in OT games.

If they just regress to the mean on those breaks, this team is looking at upper 50 win total and possibly 60+.

This is incredible.

They were one win away from the 2 seed with a team that was insanely banged up that went 1-6 in OT games.

If they just regress to the mean on those breaks, this team is looking at upper 50 win total and possibly 60+.

They have the ideal lineup now 2-5. Tony Parker will be they key for them. Can he stay healthy? Will his skills diminish anymore with another year of age under their built? He probably will be their most important player next year as he plays the deepest position in the West.

They have the ideal lineup now 2-5. Tony Parker will be they key for them. Can he stay healthy? Will his skills diminish anymore with another year of age under their built? He probably will be their most important player next year as he plays the deepest position in the West.

I'm not as concerned for two reasons:

1) If the keep Patty Mills, I think he's a very solid scoring PG option.
2) They are in love with Kyle Anderson, which means one more ball handler.

No doubt that Tony is a key player, but at least they have other guys that can handle the ball.

You think Anderson is ready? If Manu comes back, that's another ball handler as well. The Spurs are just magicians.

If they get Aldridge and the Clippers keep Jordan, try picking between the Warriors/Thunder/Clippers/Spurs.

You think Anderson is ready? If Manu comes back, that's another ball handler as well. The Spurs are just magicians.

If they get Aldridge and the Clippers keep Jordan, try picking between the Warriors/Thunder/Clippers/Spurs.
Ship two east.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm sure it would be a fun thread. My projection might also build some decline into his game, since he's on the other side of 30 and has the bad knee. I'm gonna name the guys I think are for sure, no question, better than Melo

Lebron
Durant
Davis
Harden
Curry
I want to put Gasol here. So that's basically first team all NBA, plus Kevin Durant. Then there are some guys I think are better; I'm sure I'll get heat for some of these
Paul
Griffin
Westbrook
Cousins
Duncan

A lot of it will come down to defensive evaluation; just compare Melo to a guy like Jimmy Butler. I'm not saying Butler is better, but he had a really good scoring year and is a lock down defender and just turned 26.

I think assuming Melo comes back and is healthy, he's somewhere in the 10-15 range.

It's funny, I'm not going to give you heat at all as I was going to post the almost the same exact list last night. I had it written out then decided against posting it and be called a Melo hater, which I'm not.

Good list.

The Spurs are very high on him. That's all I need.

If he doesn't play a ton, they still have Patty Mills and as much as Manu still has left in the tank (as you mentioned).

And as many miles as Parker has, I think his poor play had more to do with playing hurt than anything else.

Carmelo is a better player than Duncan right now. Not sure if Griffin or Cousins have passed Melo either.

Come on, Cousins is an absolute beast, may have a huge attitude problem but he is damn good.

If he didn't cause the problems he does and in a bigger market, he would be automatically in the top 10.

This is incredible.

Agree 100%. They've masterfully handled free agency / their cap situation thus far. CNNSI is reporting that Aldridge wasn't impressed with his Lakers meeting earlier today, and that the rest of the league is now operating under the assumption that he is now bound for San Antonio.

Talk about retooling, while simultaneously setting the team up for long term success and post Duncan / Manu transition...

I think Jordan is going to pick the Mavs. He for some reason doesn't appreciate being the 3rd banana when his freaking PG is Chris Paul and gets him all his dunks.

I do think the Clips-Mavs will do a sign and trade and bring Tyson Chandler to LA in the deal for Jordan.

Splitter being gone without Mills means the Spurs are Aldridge away from being a beast again.

Lakers are the team to watch for Kevin Love.

If the NBA could move to Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana to the West and New Orleans,and two Texas teams in the East it could create some balance for the foreseeable future.

Put Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana, Minnesota, Memphis in one division and it could work. Put the 3 West teams going East with the Florida teams.

Detroit and Cleveland would go with Washington, Atlanta, and Charlotte and the rest remain the same.

The Spurs are just the best. They did get "lucky" to be in the lotto when one of the 6 or 7 best players of all time was picked, but aside from that, they have basically done everything perfectly.

I think Jordan is going to pick the Mavs. He for some reason doesn't appreciate being the 3rd banana when his freaking PG is Chris Paul and gets him all his dunks.

I do think the Clips-Mavs will do a sign and trade and bring Tyson Chandler to LA in the deal for Jordan.

Splitter being gone without Mills means the Spurs are Aldridge away from being a beast again.

Lakers are the team to watch for Kevin Love.

If the NBA could move to Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana to the West and New Orleans,and two Texas teams in the East it could create some balance for the foreseeable future.

Put Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana, Minnesota, Memphis in one division and it could work. Put the 3 West teams going East with the Florida teams.

Detroit and Cleveland would go with Washington, Atlanta, and Charlotte and the rest remain the same.

I think playing with Kobe is a lot more toxic than people admit (even though it has been rumored). I also think it's a far cry from the organization it was when Dr. Buss ran the team versus his son.

The Spurs are just the best. They did get "lucky" to be in the lotto when one of the 6 or 7 best players of all time was picked, but aside from that, they have basically done everything perfectly.

Including managing the cap adroitly and planning for the future with a "loaded" team. They were positioned for a bonanza this year--one year removed from a championship. Their front office is superb.

They have missed the post-season only 5 times, dating back to the ABA even before they were the Spurs, when they were the Dallas Chaparrals. This dates back to '67-'68. The success is incredible.

Including managing the cap adroitly and planning for the future with a "loaded" team. They were positioned for a bonanza this year--one year removed from a championship. Their front office is superb.

Yup, it was very smart not to sign Leonard to the extension last year. They also picked Leonard, who is probably the best player in that draft, at 15th. They know what they're doing.

They have missed the post-season only 5 times, dating back to the ABA even before they were the Spurs, when they were the Dallas Chaparrals. This dates back to '67-'68. The success is incredible.

I saw a tweet that said Demarcus Cousins has missed the playoffs more times than the Spurs have in their history

The Spurs have been incredibly lucky the two years they sucked badly they got David Robinson and then the year Robinson got hurt Popovich told Robinson take the year off don't come back with 20 games when we could get Tim Duncan and they broke the hearts of Celtic fans who had top 6 picks and a 37% to win the lottery and the Spurs got Duncan.

Popovich = Belichick

The craziest part is how teed up for success they are BEFORE the cap explodes over the next few years. They are basically going to walk into the big three's retirement with a new big three (LMA, Kawhi and Danny Green) AND a ton of cap space.

Spurs got lucky after the 2003 season though. They wanted Jason Kidd and offered him a max contract. If Kidd goes to SA they have to trade Parker and can't resign Manu without going over the luxury tax which they never do. Kidd resigning with New Jersey saved the Spurs long term contention.

Cusefan0307 said:
how can the Spurs keep and get this many high value guys?

Duncan taking a discount, Manu taking a discount, Green signing for under market value and the cap projection moving up by $2MM from original projection.

Leonard only has a cap hold of like $7 mil. Duncan and Ginobili sign for about $5 mil each (probably a little higher than that, but I'm using round numbers). That creates enough cap space to bring back Green and also sign Aldridge to the max I guess. It's really simply about Duncan taking pennies to stay with the Spurs; basically the antithesis of Dwyane Wade.

Melancer46 said:
Leonard only has a cap hold of like $7 mil. Duncan and Ginobili sign for about $5 mil each (probably a little higher than that, but I'm using round numbers). That creates enough cap space to bring back Green and also sign Aldridge to the max I guess. It's really simply about Duncan taking pennies to stay with the Spurs; basically the antithesis of Dwyane Wade.
yeah but didn't Leonard get a max deal and green like 12mm per?

Bucks bringing Middleton back for 5 years, $70 million (player option for the 5th year). This looks great when you consider the deal DeMarre Carroll just got. Hopefully they're able to lock up Tyson Chandler, Greg Monroe (pipedream), or Robin Lopez and call it an offseason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom