"NBA looks boring" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

"NBA looks boring"

There are plenty of people who much prefer either college or high school football to pro. And the NBA seems to have so much flopping, which for guys that talented, makes it seem pretty pathetic at times. And there are so many timeouts that the last few minutes seem to drag on and on. College games are shorter, and I like two halves instead of four quarters, so they don't have this issue.

I prefer vanilla ice cream to chocolate. Doesn't mean I hate it.

because it is (go ahead...fire away)
I feel the same way. I've questioned myself why? Better players ,NBA no argument. There is just something lacking.
And I grew up on NBA ball 5 years before every paying attention to College Ball. My world was the hard luck Lakers, and I would go to bed after school so I could wake up and find an east coast team playing in LA and listen to the game. Now it bores me to tears.

Why is anyone watching the NBA playoffs when the NHL playoffs are going on???? :crazy:
3 Games seven's last night alone. One went to OT. Only been 150+ in the leagues history.

I think Kaminski would have been a first round pick, but now we will never know. I am not knocking Grant at all, he is a very good athlete. That alone doesn't turn you into a good nba player. He still has a lot of work to do.

Actually we do know...he's not a first round pick. Period.

Maybe next year. Doubt it though.

The NBA regular season is utterly worthless and brutal to watch for the most part. 1,230 games of nothing. I do enjoy the playoffs but I usually turn the games on in the third quarter and watch from there. I enjoy the college game so much more than the NBA game but the new rules in college frustrated me this year. I'm a big fan of physical basketball. I honestly can't remember the last regular season NBA game I've watched on tv intently from start to finish, maybe it has never happened. You could shave the number of teams down to 16 and nobody would care as long as the big name teams were the ones remaining.

The NBA will always be behind NCAAF, NFL, Soccer, Men's college basketball, and recently playoff hockey has been overtaking it in terms of my personal viewership.

So you've never watched an NBA regular season game and don't even watch entire playoff games...but you KNOW that it sucks!

That's usually how it goes.

So you've never watched an NBA regular season game and don't even watch entire playoff games...but you KNOW that it sucks!

That's usually how it goes.

Welcome to America, baby!

Welcome to America, baby!

By the way, do you include the Grizzlies, Warriors, Clippers(or do they count now because of the recent owner drama that non-sports fans love to talk about?), Raptors, Wizards, or Trail Blazers among the teams that could be gotten rid of and no one would care?

By the way, do you include the Grizzlies, Warriors, Clippers(or do they count now because of the recent owner drama that non-sports fans love to talk about?), Raptors, Wizards, or Trail Blazers among the teams that could be gotten rid of and no one would care?

As long as the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, and Bulls are one of the sixteen, you can pick the next 12 for all I care.

Marsh01 said:
For $100,000? The hell they would

Why wouldn't they? I'm sure some who value the academic side ie. Craig Forth (many other to name) type guys would stay, but where is the other majority going to make that kind of money. If they value the education then I'm sure they'll be able to save a little bit of that money and some from contracts after that to pay for the couple of years of school they're missing. Even if they don't ever get a raise and play for 5 years that's still a half a million bucks, not bad for a 23-27 year old to start their life with whether they would like to continue their education, continue to work in basketball as a coach or scout, or go into the real world with a couple of years of college and get a 30-50k a year job. Even if it was a low wage nobody will be ever able to take away from them that they played at the highest level of basketball in the world.

two3zone said:
Why wouldn't they? I'm sure some who value the academic side ie. Craig Forth (many other to name) type guys would stay, but where is the other majority going to make that kind of money. If they value the education then I'm sure they'll be able to save a little bit of that money and some from contracts after that to pay for the couple of years of school they're missing. Even if they don't ever get a raise and play for 5 years that's still a half a million bucks, not bad for a 23-27 year old to start their life with whether they would like to continue their education, continue to work in basketball as a coach or scout, or go into the real world with a couple of years of college and get a 30-50k a year job. Even if it was a low wage nobody will be ever able to take away from them that they played at the highest level of basketball in the world.

Your average "should i stay or should i go" would stay. Especially if there were no guaranteed contracts

Your average "should i stay or should i go" would stay. Especially if there were no guaranteed contracts

100k is still quite a bit of money for a lot of these kids

Please. The college product couldn't hold a candle to the NBA product right now.

have you watched this post season? i'll admit the regular season is a drag, but the playoffs are the best basketball you will ever see. just look at the OKC-Memphis series, or the Hou-Portland. All the series have been great and it's only the 1st round. I like the college game because I have a rooting interest, and the atmosphere kicks it up a notch, but there is no arguing the NBA game isn't even in the same stratosphere as college.
They play absolutely no defense. None. It's not entertaining at all because it looks half assed easy. They basically coast all game long and then turn it on in the last few minutes.

I feel the same way. I've questioned myself why? Better players ,NBA no argument. There is just something lacking.

Agreed with the lacking part. It just feels so, so sterile to me. From the crowd chants (DE-FENSE, clap clap is the only chant an NBA fan seemingly knows) to the NBA arenas being so sterile and cookie cutter. The whole scene seems really bland to me. I went to a Knicks game a few years back and literally fell asleep. An absolute borefest (yes, I know, it was the Knicks).

The college game is clearly inferior (and getting worse), but the unique environments, cool venues, collegiate pageantry make it all a much more watchable for me personally.

Honestly, the same can be said for me with CFB vs the NFL, though not nearly to the same extent. Clearly i'm just a much bigger college sports fan than pro sports fan.

Oh, and you go Frank Kaminsky -- I'm with ya big fella

Cuseman78 said:
Agreed with the lacking part. It just feels so, so sterile to me. From the crowd chants (DE-FENSE, clap clap is the only chant an NBA fan seemingly knows) to the NBA arenas being so sterile and cookie cutter. The whole scene seems really bland to me. I went to a Knicks game a few years back and literally fell asleep. An absolute borefest (yes, I know, it was the Knicks). The college game is clearly inferior (and getting worse), but the unique environments, cool venues, collegiate pageantry make it all a much more watchable for me personally. Honestly, the same can be said for me with CFB vs the NFL, though not nearly to the same extent. Clearly i'm just a much bigger college sports fan than pro sports fan. Oh, and you go Frank Kaminsky -- I'm with ya big fella

I'm taking your word for it. I haven't watched a minute of the NBA playoffs. I'd rather watch the Weather Channel.

Jasonrob44 said:
They play absolutely no defense. None. It's not entertaining at all because it looks half assed easy. They basically coast all game long and then turn it on in the last few minutes.

No defense?

I...I...can't even.

If that's true then wouldn't the scores be somewhere in the 200s each game?
They're in the low hundreds, so that's enough for me to support what my eyes are seeing.

I'm not saying that others can't be NBA fans. I'm just stating why it does norhing to entertain me.

If that's true then wouldn't the scores be somewhere in the 200s each game?

People honestly have no idea how good NBA players are offensively. They look at the box score, see that teams scored in the 100's and assume that no one is playing defense. What they fail to understand is that games are longer (48 vs 40), the shot clock is shorter (24 vs 35) and if you give most NBA players an open look at the basket, they are going to make that shot more times than they miss it.

People watch the college games, with all the shots clanging off the rims, and all the teams playing clog the lane defense, and assume that's how basketball is played. But a funny thing happens when you condense all of the absolute best of the best players in the world onto 30 fifteen-man rosters - those guys happen to be pretty good and tend to make things look pretty easy. Shocking, I know.

The atmosphere argument I get. I'm a fan of college and the NBA. The atmosphere and passion in college basketball is much more exciting a lot of the time (NBA playoffs being the exception). But the people who say that NBA players "don't care" and "don't play defense" just don't know what they are talking about.

totally off base, and i take it you haven't watched the playoffs? i have admitted the regular season is a bit of a bore, but the playoffs are like March Madness intensity wise. As for no defense i don't know what to tell you. These guys are so good offensively the defense doesn't even matter. Do you see some of the shots these guys hit? It's not the defenses fault, it's the greatness of some of the offensive players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom