NC State attendance | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NC State attendance

Syracuse isn’t having “trouble” with attendance. The attendance was set to jack up at rates that beat 98% of college football after the 2018 season. That is one good season in a decade that saw I think 3 coaching changes?

Just gotta keep winning and capitalizing on the wins with aggressive marketing.

Syracuse has beaten national attendance trends in the past. This city wants and needs a winner to rally around and I think we FINALLY have a staff that can string winning seasons together. Gotta stay positive and just keep showing up.

Attendance will go up, we have seen this before.

It’s not just SU that is having issues with attendance.

Live sporting events are struggling and will continue to do so as long as the powers that be (the media) are more concerned about the experience for those at home than those in the building. All live events need to work on pace of play.

This is my biggest gripe with Syracuse historically. “Jump Around” is something that started organically at Wisconsin. Sandstorm at South Carolina started organically when it was played during a game where they upset a top ten Ole Miss team. Syracuse has done a horrible job identifying possible traditions to create by building on organic moments. I get that Sweet Caroline is most closely associated with Red Sox - but Enter Sandman wasn’t exactly original to Va Tech but now it has an association with them to college sports fans.
Instead of throwing confetti from the rafters after we score a touchdown, we can throw orange maple leaves… the fan that rakes the most leaves from their section gets a free ticket to the next one.

Live sporting events are struggling and will continue to do so as long as the powers that be (the media) are more concerned about the experience for those at home than those in the building. All live events need to work on pace of play.

Pace of play is part of it, but it's far more than that.

Only 15 or so years ago, there were basically 8-10 college games broadcast in total each Saturday. There were no conference networks, no ESPN+, no CBSSports Network, there wasn't even ESPNU. You had 4 major networks, which only carried 1 or 2 games each, and ESPN/ESPN2. That was it, and they only carried the best matchups in each time slot, which were also subject to local blackout. Today, you can watch Sun Belt and Ivy League games on TV if you have the right cable/streaming subscription. So, far flung fans of teams don't need to travel back to campus in order to see games. I remember back then, if I didn't go to the game, having to listen to SU games by streaming TK99 online. That experience, compared to the in-stadium experience, was sorely lacking. In the last 10 years, I can't remember a game that I've missed on TV, even when we play FCS opponents.

Then add in the actual experience of watching it on TV today vs 15 years ago. Between 2000-2010, lots of people still had a tube tv, and flat panels were expensive, small, and the picture sucked. Some flat panels were still 480p, and a lot of broadcasts weren't yet in HD. I remember paying almost $2k for a 46" 720p tv about 15 years ago and thinking it was the peak of technology. Today, you can get a 60" 4K smart tv for under $500. For the same price as my 46" TV in 2007, I now have a projector in my basement that throws a 12 foot image. You get replays, closeup views of the action, and during commercial breaks you can switch to any of the other 15 games on tv to catch up on other action. At the game, you miss a lot of things because you're farther away, and during the many long TV timeouts there's not a lot to engage fans other than being blasted with dance music, flashing lights, and advertisements. At the dome specifically, you can't even check out of town scores because the wifi and cell service are awful. Yes, attending the game is partly a social shared experience...so invite 10 friends/neighbors over to watch at your house.

Add in other little things like: food and drinks are cheaper at home, your food/drink choices aren't dictated by stadium concessions, the length of games and travel time make it an all day commitment even for locals, not everyone enjoys the feeling that the football game is being played in a dance club, etc, etc.

I still go to games, and will continue to, but I get why people across the country are abandoning live, in-person sports. And honestly I'm not sure it even matters anymore. Stadiums are basically giant TV studios at this point.

You can officially see the ND ticket map as of 10 am today.

Still a lot of blue obviously. But an awful lot of red. Looks like SU fans might want to see if they can cash in before deciding to go to the game.

1664374600572.png

Pace of play is part of it, but it's far more than that.

Only 15 or so years ago, there were basically 8-10 college games broadcast in total each Saturday. There were no conference networks, no ESPN+, no CBSSports Network, there wasn't even ESPNU. You had 4 major networks, which only carried 1 or 2 games each, and ESPN/ESPN2. That was it, and they only carried the best matchups in each time slot, which were also subject to local blackout. Today, you can watch Sun Belt and Ivy League games on TV if you have the right cable/streaming subscription. So, far flung fans of teams don't need to travel back to campus in order to see games. I remember back then, if I didn't go to the game, having to listen to SU games by streaming TK99 online. That experience, compared to the in-stadium experience, was sorely lacking. In the last 10 years, I can't remember a game that I've missed on TV, even when we play FCS opponents.

Then add in the actual experience of watching it on TV today vs 15 years ago. Between 2000-2010, lots of people still had a tube tv, and flat panels were expensive, small, and the picture sucked. Some flat panels were still 480p, and a lot of broadcasts weren't yet in HD. I remember paying almost $2k for a 46" 720p tv about 15 years ago and thinking it was the peak of technology. Today, you can get a 60" 4K smart tv for under $500. For the same price as my 46" TV in 2007, I now have a projector in my basement that throws a 12 foot image. You get replays, closeup views of the action, and during commercial breaks you can switch to any of the other 15 games on tv to catch up on other action. At the game, you miss a lot of things because you're farther away, and during the many long TV timeouts there's not a lot to engage fans other than being blasted with dance music, flashing lights, and advertisements. At the dome specifically, you can't even check out of town scores because the wifi and cell service are awful. Yes, attending the game is partly a social shared experience...so invite 10 friends/neighbors over to watch at your house.

Add in other little things like: food and drinks are cheaper at home, your food/drink choices aren't dictated by stadium concessions, the length of games and travel time make it an all day commitment even for locals, not everyone enjoys the feeling that the football game is being played in a dance club, etc, etc.

I still go to games, and will continue to, but I get why people across the country are abandoning live, in-person sports. And honestly I'm not sure it even matters anymore. Stadiums are basically giant TV studios at this point.
Before you know it, fans will have the option of purchasing a mannequin proxy with a microphone wired to their living room so they can cheer at home but still have their voices make a difference at the stadium. Ticket sales will go towards the purchase of the hi-tech mannequin. And fans get to stay home on their couch. I'm sure 5G can make this possible.

You can officially see the ND ticket map as of 10 am today.

Still a lot of blue obviously. But an awful lot of red. Looks like SU fans might want to see if they can cash in before deciding to go to the game.

View attachment 220502
Might not even be Syracuse fans, from what I understand, those fine people that make their living flipping tickets tend to follow ND around .

Might not even be Syracuse fans, from what I understand, those fine people that make their living flipping tickets tend to follow ND around .

I think a lot of people bought tickets trying to flip them. We might sell out in terms of tickets sold, but IMO it will be around 48k.

Not in Syracuse

Too many bow tie fans.

I’ve never been to a visiting P5 stadium where the entire crowd didn’t stand the entire game

Sometimes even on 3rd down I feel weird standing and yelling.

Need to have fans not afraid to be engaged, all 4 downs and willing to get into what’s going on
I've been to multiple games at Byrd, Lane, Shi! and UVa (i wont count MetLife/meadowlands and Yankee stadium since they arent home stadia). The crowds sit most of the game and get up on big plays. Mind you, the student sections stood all game long at some of those venues. But, SU is not that much different with the exception of the lower home sideline where the rich old folks sit (broad brush strokes).

I've been to multiple games at Byrd, Lane, Shi! and UVa (i wont count MetLife/meadowlands and Yankee stadium since they arent home stadia). The crowds sit most of the game and get up on big plays. Mind you, the student sections stood all game long at some of those venues. But, SU is not that much different with the exception of the lower home sideline where the rich old folks sit (broad brush strokes).

When I was just at lane stadium last fall we didn’t sit the entire game besides commercial breaks etc

The same was true at NC State

Louisville they did eventually because they murdered us

Every stadium has rich old folks sitting between the forties. And we should thank them for that!

Please don’t shoot me for starting this thread but the Ticketmaster map for NC State does not look any better than Louisville or Purdue. SU Athletics has a lot of work to do over the next two weeks.

Once again Legends has not released the upper level seats in an attempt to make people believe the game is close to a sellout but everyone in CNY knows that’s not true.

When are they going to wake up and release all the available seats so the bandwagon fans can buy low priced seats in the upper 300 level.

26603B62-492A-4E20-A895-EC11F59A67DF.jpeg

Unfortunately the casuals still have the mentality of, "they haven't beat anyone yet." It's sad, but at this point I'm not expecting more than 40k for NC St. We'll get low 40s for FSU and ND. But that's it.

i get that is was Wagner, but there were zero people sitting in sections 313-315. Should be giving away two non resaleable tickets to local kids. The week of the NC ST game should be giving/donating tickets, to, say, local students in good academic standing, to fill the dome and create some good will to the community

There’s really not much the Athletic Department can do at this point, other than just give all the tickets away.

Anyone in the area and any out of town alumni who remotely care about football knows we’re 5-0 and knows we play NC State in 2 weeks. They’ll either go or they won’t go.

It is still early, I would expect 43,000+
I'd say about a 1% chance of that happening unless we get game day and there's a massive local and national push for that game. Weve had 43,000 maybe 10 times in the last 20 years. And to the local ding dong NC St doesn't resonate as a huge selling point. They'd rather go see Notre Dame or Florida State because it's still 1985 in Upstate NY sadly.

While I'd love to see a full house, as we all know, it will be plenty loud enough to impact the game and make it tough on NC State even with low 40s in attendance.

At this point, my goal for this year is just to see the big gray sections in the 300's broken up by people. Fill the lower bowl, 80% fill the upper sidelines, and then maybe get those upper corners 50% full. That probably gets us 42K or so and looks much better

I think SU holds back sections of tickets because it allows them to hire fewer ushers, but its a terrible look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom