NC State attendance | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NC State attendance

You want "fans" to show up for games; not people just looking to get sloshed. (There's already a pretty significant cross-population between the two)

The University/AD makes plenty of money by virtue of its ACC affiliation. Adding spectators just for sake of adding spectators doesnt really make much difference from a revenue standpoint.
What they are doing right now isn’t working. Was being a little funny but not really. Thinking outside the box in this town is hard for most. They have special nights at baseball stadium and pack them in. The university doesn’t advertise at all or do things to get people attention in town. Run some billboard ad’s, tv. Most people wouldn’t even know a game was going on in town. Just offering up some ideas. That all

I doubt they go back to Tenn after having just been there. That being said I think we have very little shot at it. The below games will be candidates...

Penn State at Michigan
Clemson at FSU
USC at Utah
Kansas at Oklahoma
Arkansas at BYU
UNC at Duke

Our game IMO only happens if NC State is undefeated.

Oklahoma, UNC, Duke and Arkansas all losing last weekend probably took them out.

NC State winning this weekend and next takes out FSU.

Need either Oregon State or UCLA to pull the upset over Utah. Or Washington State over USC.

And then the biggest one, need Iowa and their 130th ranked offense (last in FBS) to win at home over Michigan.

No way they can go back to Knoxville again.

Oklahoma, UNC, Duke and Arkansas all losing last weekend probably took them out.

Need either Oregon State or UCLA to pull the upset over Utah. Or Washington State over USC.

And then the biggest one, need Iowa and their 130th ranked offense (last in FBS) to win at home over Michigan.

7049EE01-029F-4627-AB76-69E794EFF3DA.jpeg

I think if Oklahoma beats TCU and Texas, while Kansas beats Iowa State and TCU, there is a good chance that game is chosen. Kansas is a media darling right now.

I think if UNC beats VA Tech and Miami, while Duke beats UVA and GA Tech, ESPN will want to showcase their Basketball darlings.

IMO NC State is a Top 20-30 type of team that is somehow ranked 10th from some weird preseason hype. I can't see them making it through these next 2 games.

What they are doing right now isn’t working. Was being a little funny but not really. Thinking outside the box in this town is hard for most. They have special nights at baseball stadium and pack them in. The university doesn’t advertise at all or do things to get people attention in town. Run some billboard ad’s, tv. Most people wouldn’t even know a game was going on in town. Just offering up some ideas. That all

All minor league baseball teams run goofy things. And Su does advertise the games. tV, radio, social media and emails.

Ya dollar beer for a college football game with 30K+ fans and a large student section, what could possibly go wrong.
Running out of beer?

TJ Sheehan better be on speed dial for that game

The students were engaged in singing Neil Diamond Red Sox , Sweet Caroline. Which goes back to my original point. Get something that builds and builds and eventually you have the non student sections in it as well.

This is my biggest gripe with Syracuse historically. “Jump Around” is something that started organically at Wisconsin. Sandstorm at South Carolina started organically when it was played during a game where they upset a top ten Ole Miss team. Syracuse has done a horrible job identifying possible traditions to create by building on organic moments. I get that Sweet Caroline is most closely associated with Red Sox - but Enter Sandman wasn’t exactly original to Va Tech but now it has an association with them to college sports fans.

The days of SU giving away large amounts of tickets is over. They may do soemthing like a one off with Fort Drum but the days of sending out a few thousand to pack the Dome - Clemson several years ago and 1 or 2 others is DOA. Wildhack is not a fan and with the price increase to season ticket holders they don't feel it would be well received.

It’s a poor long term strategy. Anytime you start whoring out your product it’s hard to go back.

Last edited:
I think if Oklahoma beats TCU and Texas, while Kansas beats Iowa State and TCU, there is a good chance that game is chosen. Kansas is a media darling right now.

I think if UNC beats VA Tech and Miami, while Duke beats UVA and GA Tech, ESPN will want to showcase their Basketball darlings.

IMO NC State is a Top 20-30 type of team that is somehow ranked 10th from some weird preseason hype. I can't see them making it through these next 2 games.

I bet they’d rather go to a home Kansas game though.

Maybe Duke in that scenario.

Agree that it’s unlikely NC State wins both. But not the longest of long shots. Their D gives them a chance.

That game could be a real rock fight in the Dome. One that makes the worst parts of UVA and Purdue look interesting.

I doubt they go back to Tenn after having just been there. That being said I think we have very little shot at it. The below games will be candidates...

Penn State at Michigan
Clemson at FSU
USC at Utah
Kansas at Oklahoma
Arkansas at BYU
UNC at Duke

Our game IMO only happens if NC State is undefeated.
one of these games is not like the rest

This is my biggest gripe with Syracuse historically. “Jump Around” is something that started organically at Wisconsin. Sandstorm at South Carolina started organically when it was played during a game where they upset a top ten Ole Miss team. Syracuse has done a horrible job identifying possible traditions to create by building on organic moments. I get that Sweet Caroline is most closely associated with Red Sox - but Enter Sandman wasn’t exactly original to Va Tech but now it has an association with them to college sports fans.
Sweet Caroline feels way to Boston to me but if the student section likes it then more power to them. I just can’t do it personally lol.

Yep , how many people have you heard say , “ I have to get there early, I don’t want to miss the entrance, but your argument is pretty good , I’ll give it a C instead. It’s what every FBS in the country is doing ( minimally)

I bring my daughter early and went early myself before she was born b/c I loved the atmosphere. Even though the atmosphere is lame compared to other schools I love hearing the band (and I don’t care about that normally), seeing everyone in SU stuff, and checking out the college girls (hey, at least I’m honest).

The funny thing with marketing is people don’t always know why they show up. They came b/c they wanted to watch SU football but they’ve been to two games in 5 years. What really happened is people at work have been talking, SU has played up the team, SU has made the lights and atmosphere feel like a huge event. Jack off Johnny thinks he went to the game to watch football but he went to the game because all the other factors occurred getting him thinking about the game and creating an exciting atmosphere.

These things matter and they especially matter long term.

So now the range of 0-2 losses of a non marquee opponent impacts whether casuals go now?

It might be time to nuke these threads
Nc state at
So now the range of 0-2 losses of a non marquee opponent impacts whether casuals go now?

6-0 nc state with a win over #5 Clemson is a marquee win

Absolutely. 2 undefeated teams going at it is more exciting to the casual fan than a 4-2 team. NC State is not a name brand like ND or FSU, so their record will 100% factor into attendance.

What are we thinking for a kick off time? I have more people interested depending on if it’s a noon kick or a night game.

Long time lurker and in event promotion my entire life. A few ideas that might help attendance, but will definitely make the fan experience better:

- Light the Dome ORANGE during the season only after a win. Make it a "thing". 40,000 fans chanting "light the dome" and one of the players pushing a "fake" button to do it. Everyone in the area will know we won.

- At the same time, have billboards all over central New York that have a schedule, ticket information and a Dome that also lights up Orange after a win. Let everyone in upstate New York know we won.

- Now that SU owns the Varsity, incorporate the banner flipping into the post game experience at the dome. Have one of Otto's Army flip the banner

Could make for 2 instant traditions.

- Make last weeks hype video into a TV ad and start running it now.

- Play up the Loud House even more. Have signs at each entrance "Cheer like a champion today" (sorry Notre Dame), " I leave your voice here", "If your sitting , your not helping". Anything to let the fans know how important they are to the game.

Enough for now. There are so many inexpensive things the university could do.
Send this to JW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom