NCAA Boom | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Boom

I'm on the record that this will destroy higher education as we know it.

I'm fine blowing up college sports.

But not at the expense of higher education as an institution.
I'm curious as to why you think this?

College sports has been an ugly corrupt business since its inception. The whole notion of "student athlete" was just a corrupt designation so schools could keep all the money for themselves and not have to worry about pesky employment laws and safety regulations.

The Opening Kickoff is a great book that details the earliest days of college football corruption.

Can't wait to see how (if) Title IX may be applied/enforced on a football driven NIL trust "subdivision."

Either women athletes are going to start getting PAID or more non-football men's programs are going bye bye.

(Probably a mix of both)
Yeah this wave is en route to the beach as we speak

College sports has been an ugly corrupt business since its inception. The whole notion of "student athlete" was just a corrupt designation so schools could keep all the money for themselves and not have to worry about pesky employment laws and safety regulations.

The Opening Kickoff is a great book that details the earliest days of college football corruption.
Colleges can’t afford it plain and simple

I hope that, initially, there is no salary cap. I wanna see how much more semi-pro college players make than NFL players.

Interesting concept. I still think there needs to be a salary cap of sorts to create some more parity in college football. Make it a level playing field while still paying the players. Then I believe the actual value of the education they are receiving might have a bigger impact. It would also allow more than the top 5-10 schools to compete for national titles each year.
Agree. Such an approach might also reduce the churning we are seeing with players in the transfer portal.

I’ve been thinking all along that the current setup is not sustainable and that it would change eventually, this is faster than I thought though.

Now just introduce a salary cap system for each conference agreed upon by conference members.
It don't matter the Blue Bloods will still cheat. They've been doing it for years so they'll figure out something for this too.

I'm on the record that this will destroy higher education as we know it.

I'm fine blowing up college sports.

But not at the expense of higher education as an institution.
Agreed, but UNC demonstrated that it was destroyed years ago.

IF IF IF we really cared about helping poor minority athletes, the biggest thing that we'd do is require that they attain a legitimate 4 year degree prior to becoming NFL/NBA eligible. Most folks don't make it in the NFL/NBA and this way they'd have a 4 year degree (from like a top 100 school) to fall back onto. Additionally, an education is worth more than a few hundred K in NIL money. Just my rant.

Can't wait to see how (if) Title IX may be applied/enforced on a football driven NIL trust "subdivision."

Either women athletes are going to start getting PAID or more non-football men's programs are going bye bye.

(Probably a mix of both)
Yea, this is going to get gross.

As others have said , there needs to be some kind of cap. In terms of Title IX, I'd prefer a smaller percentage goes to revenue losing sports... That would include men's baseball, lacrosse, soccer, wrestling, etc... In that regard, it would be equal... Its a business.

For parity, it would be nice to add a luxury NIL tax. One of the best parts of college sports are the Davey/Goliath upsets. I also don't want to see a kid with a 1500 SAT, choosing a crappy educational institution, because they could use the $$. Get that kid in the RIGHT school, and let them continue to be great, on the field and in the classroom.

How can they have a cap when schools weren't suppose to even be paying players in the first place and were anyways? It'll just be the same schools cheating the cap as well.
NIL is being used so they can try to skirt employment laws, IMO. I wonder if it will hold up. Its pay to play, right now.

When they cheat the cap, they pay a fine, and it goes into the general fund for the Have nots...

If this comes to fruition, I wonder if this would lead to some schools dropping lower revenue sports so they could put more money into the fund for the bigger sports (that is if I am understanding how this will work correctly).

NIL is being used so they can try to skirt employment laws, IMO. I wonder if it will hold up. Its pay to play, right now.

When they cheat the cap, they pay a fine, and it goes into the general fund for the Have nots...
I don't know RG, these boys want it all but that said, I hope you're right and they can put a financial fine to this or the like.

I assume SU will be the first punished,

If this comes to fruition, I wonder if this would lead to some schools dropping lower revenue sports so they could put more money into the fund for the bigger sports (that is if I am understanding how this will work correctly).
Absolutely. Title IX could work against student athletes, in this case. Why I suggest a lower % to revenue losing sports. Those kids deserve to compete.

The powers will mandate a certain number of sports must be supported by universities to avoid that. All this is about money and the continued effort by the “have’s“ to further divide and make the “have nots” drop out of direct competition. Just my opinion.

This all seems like a ridiculous attempt to skirt the issue: These players are employees of a billion dollar sports league and the schools that run it can't just admit this and pay them.
^^^^ This.

I dont want Title IX sports to be a casuality. Admit that they are employees, and keep the non revenue sports.

Colleges can’t afford it plain and simple
AZ got to the heart of it. I don't disagree at all about the corruption you mentioned. But right now, that primarily happens outside of the academic mission of higher ed institutions. As it should.

These kinds of things will fundamentally change the organization of some higher education institutions in ways they aren't built for. The incentives will get out of whack and I don't trust the decision-makers to play in these arenas.

Bottomline, it's a jagged path to get there, but direct payment from institution to athlete will result in poorer outcomes for students.

And we can't afford that as a society, on multiple levels.

(I work in edtech and am acutely familiar with some aspects of higher education administration and decision-making. I mention this just so that people note that my opinion isn't perfect, but it's more informed than your standard sports fan on this topic, and I'm applying a broader lens to the discussion than just sports.)

Imagine if football, hoop and Lax for men and hoop, Lax and X were the only sports for women at SU?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom