NCAA Boom | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Boom

It’s always weird when people crap on our education system and yet here we are…… the most powerful country in the world for how long now? We didn’t get here because we’re dumb.

It’s always weird when people crap on our education system and yet here we are…… the most powerful country in the world for how long now? We didn’t get here because we’re dumb.
Maybe you should start reading non-American media. We're a developing country comparatively when you look at the poverty gap, infrastructure, and education.

The obvious system here, in my opinion, is to bring all the NIL money in house with the schools and report it through the NCAA, and probably make it publicly available info. The schools can solicit donations for it from boosters, and that could be made uncapped, but there need to be records on it. Then when Football Factory College signs a kid away through the transfer portal from We Don't Have Oil Money University, they have to pay them a hefty transfer fee - I would propose X% of the value of the NIL money, where X = the % of snaps that kid played on his side of the ball for WDHOMU. Require that money to be paid out in NIL by WDHOMU within, say, four years. This ensures that the money is going to the players, but also allows WDHOMU to benefit from recruiting and developing players, and to save up that money for a few years and pick the right year to go all-in.

It won't be real parity because Football Factory College and Football State University and University of Gridiron all get to go spend unlimited funds buying the best free agents, but at least We Don't Have Oil Money University and We At Least Pretend Our Athletes Go to Class College can compete once or twice a decade if they can find good coaches and run a good program with the money they do have and then save up and try to contend cyclically - which means every year a few of them will be good.

I'm all for gender equality, but they have to find a way to not make it this even distribution between football/basketball and non-revenue sports. I get that it is sexist and inherently unfair that by far the most money in sports is in mens' sports, at the pro and college levels, but it's also insane to pay athletes in non-revenue sports millions of dollars - and that would make it harder for smaller schools to compete in both categories. If it has to be even, Texas A&M is going to fielding the best Equestrian and Volleyball teams ever assembled and paying them millions, just so they can pay their football players the most.

The obvious system here, in my opinion, is to bring all the NIL money in house with the schools and report it through the NCAA, and probably make it publicly available info. The schools can solicit donations for it from boosters, and that could be made uncapped, but there need to be records on it. Then when Football Factory College signs a kid away through the transfer portal from We Don't Have Oil Money University, they have to pay them a hefty transfer fee - I would propose X% of the value of the NIL money, where X = the % of snaps that kid played on his side of the ball for WDHOMU. Require that money to be paid out in NIL by WDHOMU within, say, four years. This ensures that the money is going to the players, but also allows WDHOMU to benefit from recruiting and developing players, and to save up that money for a few years and pick the right year to go all-in.

It won't be real parity because Football Factory College and Football State University and University of Gridiron all get to go spend unlimited funds buying the best free agents, but at least We Don't Have Oil Money University and We At Least Pretend Our Athletes Go to Class College can compete once or twice a decade if they can find good coaches and run a good program with the money they do have and then save up and try to contend cyclically - which means every year a few of them will be good.

I'm all for gender equality, but they have to find a way to not make it this even distribution between football/basketball and non-revenue sports. I get that it is sexist and inherently unfair that by far the most money in sports is in mens' sports, at the pro and college levels, but it's also insane to pay athletes in non-revenue sports millions of dollars - and that would make it harder for smaller schools to compete in both categories. If it has to be even, Texas A&M is going to fielding the best Equestrian and Volleyball teams ever assembled and paying them millions, just so they can pay their football players the most.
I like the idea of keeping NIL, in house and reporting it. Penalties on transfers, etc...

I'd like to see some new rules on non educational transfers. The kids should have the right to. If that means LSU needs to give Cuse $100k for a Deuce Chestnut transfer? Cool. (Assuming his NIL deal was 250k)

Colleges can’t afford it plain and simple
The colleges that want to can. It can all still be funded by boosters, the same way boosters foot the bill for coaching buyouts. I see this as just changing the semantics of NIL. Now coaches can be directly openly involved instead of being sneaky like they are now. And players won't necessarily have to make silly appearances and the like to justify the money. If uncapped, the big boy schools will have players being paid more by boosters than some veteran NFL guys.

Still let kids make NIL deals with commercials, signings, etc. Collectives can only be used to directly pay an athlete through the school. Use a pay scale. Hypothetically, freshmen $10,000, sophomore $20,000, junior $30,000 and senior $40,000. If your’re an All American you should have all kinds of opportunities to make commercials, etc. These are just guesstimates, but you get the idea. Players have always talked about unionizing. You don’t start out making the same as an upperclassman. Every school has to be under the same system. If someone violates the system, they lose five scholarships and no post season for one year. This might slow down the portal entrants.

It should be like Free agency, you sign a kid out of the portal, you have to kick back some money to the school that lost the kid. Then we can solidify ourselves as the Marlins of College Football lol

The Can of Worms that would be opened is not just related to Title IX, although that is a hugh one. How do you compensate only male football and basketball players? You can't.

Excecpt for 5 states (TX, FL, TN, WA, NV) professional athletes have to file and pay income taxes, the Jock Tax, in all other states. Just this season Cuse mens basketball players will play in 11 of those states (NY, HI, VA, DC, SD, NC, PA, MA, GA, KY, and SC). Who pays for the accountants? Professional athletes making millions - no problem, but athletes paid much less - it's an issue. Since they are now "professionals" are other benefits, like sneakers, tuition, etc, taxable benefits?
If they are injured do they get workers' comp? Disability? How much do they get if injured in Kentucky? If a football player blows out his knee does the athlete collect workers comp benefits the rest of his life? Workers comp law are ridiculously confusing - e.g. Ohio doesn't use private comp insurance carriers - the University would have to purchase a separate policy from that state. In NY if an out-of-state employer fails to procure workers comp and disability insurance when they send their employees to work in NY, the employer is automatically "debarred" from working in NY for 1 year. What if Clemson fails to procure coverage acceptable to NY for its tennis team and is debarred from sending any of its teams to NY for a year?
How about minimum wage laws and overtime laws? Obviously higher paid professionals and certains professions are exempt from minimum wage and overtime laws in NY, but athletes are not one of the exempt professions. If the travel to and from an away game takes over 8 hours do you have to pay them more in OT? If you give a student athlete $10,000 and he/she "works' 1000 hours at practice and games and travel - does that violate NY minimum wage laws?
Can they unionize and collectively the bargin with their employers?
It's not so simple for the schools or athletes.

I'm on the record that this will destroy higher education as we know it.

I'm fine blowing up college sports.

But not at the expense of higher education as an institution.

Higher education as an institution is likely unsalvageable; there's a reason many businesses are doing away with degree requirements. This might be the fatal blow- but in reality if this isn't, something else will be fairly soon.

I don't have any idea what will replace it - but if you're worried the current system might blow up that's pointless fretting. Its going to, and there isn't anything viable to do to prevent it.

Maybe you should start reading non-American media. We're a developing country comparatively when you look at the poverty gap, infrastructure, and education.

I have a Masters in history and I’ll stop with my credentials there. While all of those things are fair points it actually misses my point completely. It’s not a, compare us to a small Nordic country, based comment.

The Can of Worms that would be opened is not just related to Title IX, although that is a hugh one. How do you compensate only male football and basketball players? You can't.

Since they are now "professionals" are other benefits, like sneakers, tuition, etc, taxable benefits?

Technically, Yes.

Technically, Yes.
Can Of Worms Meme GIF by Hyper RPG

Sporting Club sports and College sports is the way to go. Really is a win win for everyone.

AZ got to the heart of it. I don't disagree at all about the corruption you mentioned. But right now, that primarily happens outside of the academic mission of higher ed institutions. As it should.

These kinds of things will fundamentally change the organization of some higher education institutions in ways they aren't built for. The incentives will get out of whack and I don't trust the decision-makers to play in these arenas.

Bottomline, it's a jagged path to get there, but direct payment from institution to athlete will result in poorer outcomes for students.

And we can't afford that as a society, on multiple levels.

(I work in edtech and am acutely familiar with some aspects of higher education administration and decision-making. I mention this just so that people note that my opinion isn't perfect, but it's more informed than your standard sports fan on this topic, and I'm applying a broader lens to the discussion than just sports.)
I respectfully disagree. I hate the way the direction is going, and ultimately think it will destroy college sports and really hurt the US performance in the Olympics. According to Google, SU has 712 student athletes. That would cost us $10,680,000/yr. That's about 25% of our ACC media money.

We really need to get into private equity to set up the trust if we want to continue to play the highest level of athletics.

Higher education as an institution is likely unsalvageable; there's a reason many businesses are doing away with degree requirements. This might be the fatal blow- but in reality if this isn't, something else will be fairly soon.
It's not unsalvageable, and there are lots of reasons why many businesses are doing away with degree requirements, one prominent among them being that many jobs never needed a degree requirements in the first place.

i doubt you're right of course but for once i hope you are
You don't have any answers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom