NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged sign-stealing | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged sign-stealing

Let’s see if Michigan officials have the gonads to pull their team out of the college football playoffs. That would end this crap once and for all. I’d laugh if they finished fifth in the playoff standings.

At what point does college football put receivers into the QB and LB's helmets and just tell them the play, just like professionals? Is there anyone that does this at all or is there something not allowing it?

At what point does college football put receivers into the QB and LB's helmets and just tell them the play, just like professionals? Is there anyone that does this at all or is there something not allowing it?
We start allowing this, then all the ELINT analysts and radio jammer technicians will be leaving the defense industry and take cushy jobs at the factories.

So, apparently B1G coaches, except Harbaugh, had a Zoom call with the league's new AD, many of them adamant that the AD push the investigation and to send a message. Kind of throws a monkey wrench into the notion that everyone does this.
Does it though? Or do their competitors see an opportunity to take Michigan down?
I think it's likely that most programs do some level of sign espionage, but that UofM have just taken things to a different level.

Does it though? Or do their competitors see an opportunity to take Michigan down?
I think it's likely that most programs do some level of sign espionage, but that UofM have just taken things to a different level.

Yes, it does. What school in their right mind would push to open this up so quickly, if they themselves knew they had dirty laundry they were hiding. Not everyone cheats. I'm not a fan of the "well, they just haven't been caught" trope.

Yes, it does. What school in their right mind would push to open this up so quickly, if they themselves knew they had dirty laundry they were hiding. Not everyone cheats. I'm not a fan of the "well, they just haven't been caught" trope.
You can believe whatever you want, but it's part of the game at every level. Why else do you think every football team has multiple signallers or giant play cards with pictures?
There are different levels of trying to steal signs. I stated as much in my post. Michigan took it to an absurd level. The other teams likely don't have the level of evidence available because they didn't go to the extent Michigan did.

Even on my 13 year old Babe Ruth team there was one kid who tried to figure out the other teams' 3rd base coach signals. I would say he got it about 1/3 of the time. But, that's why we used signs ourselves because most of the teams had a kid like that.

You can believe whatever you want, but it's part of the game at every level. Why else do you think every football team has multiple signallers or giant play cards with pictures?
There are different levels of trying to steal signs. I stated as much in my post. Michigan took it to an absurd level. The other teams likely don't have the level of evidence available because they didn't go to the extent Michigan did.

Even on my 13 year old Babe Ruth team there was one kid who tried to figure out the other teams' 3rd base coach signals. I would say he got it about 1/3 of the time. But, that's why we used signs ourselves because most of the teams had a kid like that.
There’s using smarts to “steal” signs and there’s cheating to steal signs. They don’t always overlap.

No one is talking about gameday guessing of other team's signals and I'm not sure why you are. We're specifically talking about the notion that other teams send assistants to other teams' games to film and get on the sidelines in disguises, and doing so is "not a big deal". Obviously, to the other teams in the B1G, it is a big deal and they would not push for this investigation if they, themselves, partook in the same cheating.

No one is talking about gameday guessing of other team's signals and I'm not sure why you are. We're specifically talking about the notion that other teams send assistants to other teams' games to film and get on the sidelines in disguises, and doing so is "not a big deal". Obviously, to the other teams in the B1G, it is a big deal and they would not push for this investigation if they, themselves, partook in the same cheating.
It's all variations on a theme. Like I've been saying, Michigan went extreme. Clearly, you don't believe that any other teams are looking at game film of opponents and trying to figure out the play calls. I disagree.

It's all variations on a theme. Like I've been saying, Michigan went extreme. Clearly, you don't believe that any other teams are looking at game film of opponents and trying to figure out the play calls. I disagree.

You are doing it again. No one is talking what is available and accepted across all teams, in all sports. We are talking SPECIFICALLY about crossing that line. Michigan has crossed it. Some on here would have you believe it's "not a big deal" or "everyone does it." I contend it is a big deal and others have not done it. Otherwise, other coaches would not seek out punishment for it. It has nothing to do with wanting to hurt Michigan because they are having a good year, which is what you initially stated.

You are doing it again. No one is talking what is available and accepted across all teams, in all sports. We are talking SPECIFICALLY about crossing that line. Michigan has crossed it. Some on here would have you believe it's "not a big deal" or "everyone does it." I contend it is a big deal and others have not done it. Otherwise, other coaches would not seek out punishment for it. It has nothing to do with wanting to hurt Michigan because they are having a good year, which is what you initially stated.
I've agreed with you in this thread the whole time. If you're getting the signs by legitimate means - you can figure it out from across the sideline or from legitimately obtained game film- hey all's fair in love and war. But if you're doing it through means that's specifically against the rules including advance in person scouting or by filming the opposing sideline or other ways, that's unacceptable to me. Don't really understand why that's so hard for some people.

I've agreed with you in this thread the whole time. If you're getting the signs by legitimate means - you can figure it out from across the sideline or from legitimately obtained game film- hey all's fair in love and war. But if you're doing it through means that's specifically against the rules including advance in person scouting or by filming the opposing sideline or other ways, that's unacceptable to me. Don't really understand why that's so hard for some people.
So Michigan is the only team to do this to any extent? Bear in mind that I've acknowledged, repeatedly, that they've gone above and beyond what's acceptable. I'm not really sure if that makes me one of "those people" (nice interpersonal touch, btw), nor do I care. I've exhausted my interest in this discussion.

So Michigan is the only team to do this to any extent? Bear in mind that I've acknowledged, repeatedly, that they've gone above and beyond what's acceptable. I'm not really sure if that makes me one of "those people" (nice interpersonal touch, btw), nor do I care. I've exhausted my interest in this discussion.
This does sound a lot like the Astros claiming that everyone does it. It is the above and beyond that makes what Michigan has done so troublesome. They knew they were breaking the rules and didn't care. And not for the first time.

The coaches in the Big Ten want something done to Michigan now. They feel there’s enough evidence to verify what Michigan has done. The Commissioner is under a lot of pressure and rightfully so. To say the coaches are upset is an understatement. Several are calling for Michigan to NOT be eligible for the College Football Playoffs.

Michigan was just sloppy enough or arrogant enough (or both, most likely) and got caught. Others are jumping at the chance to bury them while wiping the sweat off their own brow for not being the ones to get caught.

I assume Michigan will start investigating other programs and calling them out. Too big and too much money riding on their success, not to lash out. It’ll be interesting if they dig out anything big or not.

Hah weak but there was no way they were pleasing anyone. They should have waited till ncaa was done and let harbaugh go back to nba.

I assume Michigan will start investigating other programs and calling them out. Too big and too much money riding on their success, not to lash out. It’ll be interesting if they dig out anything big or not.
They already did. Called out other B1G schools for intercepting radio signals a few days ago.