NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged sign-stealing | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged sign-stealing

Maybe. I don't think the SEC has one.
Then, I can see the BigTen being just as arrogant as they are that the good times will last forever

So the Astros issued apologies, had management suspensions, are disgraced forever with Rob Manfred stating the punishments weren't severe enough. I think that implies he now thinks they should have vacated that first world series.

How is this any different, other than it is apparently every B10 school doing it?

Syracuse finally is able to replace the psu rivalry with Michigan while securing the acc’s future. Then they go after notre dame as a full time member making the sec payout equal to the sec and big 10. Hey one can dream.

Never say never. One has to have a dream/goal before it can be a reality. The great Dr Martin Luther King Jr, had a famous dream too.

Anyone else find the “about face” Michigan did this morning by accepting the 3-game suspension a little off?

They were ready to go to war a week ago, now everyone’s like - yup! This is good, we’ll accept and the BIG10 is great at keeping order in the conference!

Legal removed their pending action, and everyone’s playing nice in the sandbox. Complete 180.

Either Michigan’s super guilty and happy to move on or there were some back room shenanigans.

Anyone else find the “about face” Michigan did this morning by accepting the 3-game suspension a little off?

They were ready to go to war a week ago, now everyone’s like - yup! This is good, we’ll accept and the BIG10 is great at keeping order in the conference!

Legal removed their pending action, and everyone’s playing nice in the sandbox. Complete 180.

Either Michigan’s super guilty and happy to move on or there were some back room shenanigans.

Yes I thought the same. It was definitely off.

And it also seems the penalty does not fit the crime. I mean they’ve been cheating for how long, and it’s cheating that gave them a competitive advantage.

Either Michigan’s super guilty and happy to move on
or there were some back room shenanigans.
This, I think they had them dead to rights, take the 3 game suspension hopefully run the table, put and end to it, in theory and compete for the national championship.

I think Harbaugh will be coaching the Bears next year as well

This, I think they had them dead to rights, take the 3 game suspension hopefully run the table, put and end to it, in theory and compete for the national championship.

I think with only a loss to Ohio State, Michigan still makes the playoff. That’s really the significant part here - once they got past PSU, the school probably figures they will beat Maryland regardless and a loss to Ohio State doesn’t hurt them. So it was easy to negotiate when the school had little to lose, and they got the Big Ten to end their investigation as part of the agreement.

Just like his end in SF, Harbaugh has alienated a ton of people now - NCAA, other Big Ten schools, likely alums embarrassed by his shenanigans since they like to think of themselves as the “clean” school while Ohio St cheats to win….so I agree he’ll move on to burn more bridges in the NFL. Burning bridges seems to be one of his key attributes at this point, fortunately for him the world is full of bridges.

Yep, someone advised them to take the deal.

I think with only a loss to Ohio State, Michigan still makes the playoff.

Has to be a close loss. Which I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

An Oregon State home win over Washington this weekend would also be very helpful to that cause.

The loser of Ohio State-Michigan will also be big fans of Georgia, Louisville, and the team not named Texas in their respective conference championship games.

Part of the deal is the investigation is now over so I'm guessing MIchigan probably is just glad no other shenanigans will be uncovered - at least for now.

Last edited:
I think with only a loss to Ohio State, Michigan still makes the playoff. That’s really the significant part here - once they got past PSU, the school probably figures they will beat Maryland regardless and a loss to Ohio State doesn’t hurt them. So it was easy to negotiate when the school had little to lose, and they got the Big Ten to end their investigation as part of the agreement.

Just like his end in SF, Harbaugh has alienated a ton of people now - NCAA, other Big Ten schools, likely alums embarrassed by his shenanigans since they like to think of themselves as the “clean” school while Ohio St cheats to win….so I agree he’ll move on to burn more bridges in the NFL. Burning bridges seems to be one of his key attributes at this point, fortunately for him the world is full of bridges.
A loss to Ohio State hurts them more than anything.Ive got friends that are Michigan fans and they will tell you they would rather beat Ohio State than win a championship.
Dont know if that’s really true but that rivalry is like no other.

A loss to Ohio State hurts them more than anything.Ive got friends that are Michigan fans and they will tell you they would rather beat Ohio State than win a championship.
Dont know if that’s really true but that rivalry is like no other.

It’s definitely not true; that’s one of those exaggerations people say to try to impress how big of a deal the rivalry is. If you gave Michigan fans two options, one is beating Ohio State then losing in the semis, or losing to Ohio State but winning the natty - at least 80% would take the natty.

As they say in baseball, flags fly forever.

It’s definitely not true; that’s one of those exaggerations people say to try to impress how big of a deal the rivalry is. If you gave Michigan fans two options, one is beating Ohio State then losing in the semis, or losing to Ohio State but winning the natty - at least 80% would take the natty.

As they say in baseball, flags fly forever.
I tend to agree, but to say a loss to OSU doesn’t really hurt them is also not really true. It doesn’t hurt them in a chance at making the playoffs maybe but it would really chap their arse.

Michigan's whole approach to this seemed off. Complaining that others were stealing THEIR signals felt like a bait-and-switch. Never once did the deny the allegations.

Seemed flimsy as hell, which implies that they were super guilty.

Part of the deal is the investigation is now over so I'm guessing MIchigan probably is just glad no other shenanigans will be uncovered - at least for now.

This only ends the B1G investigation, right?

I mean, they won't care by the time the NCAA comes around because if the win a title, they won't give a hoot if it's taken away. You get the chip, worry about the rest later.

I don't think Michigan gets in with one loss. I expected the quick cave after testing the waters with the everybody is doing it defense. Once that didn't gain traction they realized they had to eat crow. It doesn't help that the face of their program just comes off smarmy, arrogant and kooky - not a great PR trifecta.