New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach

Don't forget Acosta is a McD guy. George brought him in to cover NY/NJ when Rob Moore left, and GMcD took on the dual roll of OC/WR coach. Not so outside the Shafer tree, and a minor threat to stick with the one that brought him if the opportunity is there.

Shafer should have his replacement in place already to be honest. I have to assume the guy has been chosen. This departure from George was 100% going to happen.

I say go to a Florida high school hotbed and take a flyer on some coach in high school down there. even a top assistant.

http://www.elmhurstbluejays.com/coaches.aspx?rc=523&path=football

14FB_Norton.jpg

Kristopher Norton

Kristopher Norton
Assistant Football Coach (Wide Receivers)

Email: kristopher.norton@elmhurst.edu

Kristopher Norton is entering his first year as an assistant coach with the Elmhurst Football team. Norton will work with the wide receivers during the 2014 season.

Norton spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at Fenwick High School, helping the Friars reach the playoffs in each year.

Norton spent a year as an assistant coach with the Chicago Rush in the Arena Football League. Before joining the Rush, Norton spent four seasons as an assistant coach with Ridgewood High School.

Norton also coached for two seasons at the University of St. Francis, working with the tight ends and wide receivers.

A 1999 graduate of Carthage College, Norton was a four-year letterwinner for the Red Men, earning all-CCIW honors in 1995 and 1996. He spent one year with Quad City Steamwheelers of the Arena Football League 2 in 2000.
That's not even funny.

Don't forget Acosta is a McD guy. George brought him in to cover NY/NJ when Rob Moore left, and GMcD took on the dual roll of OC/WR coach. Not so outside the Shafer tree, and a minor threat to stick with the one that brought him if the opportunity is there.
I think anyone more than one step removed from Shafer himself is sufficiently outside the "tree" to make me happy. If it's someone that one of the other coaches knows, Shafer still has to do some extra digging to find out what he brings to the table.

Just sitting here today, I think something just switched in my head that I'm ready to be done with Shafer. I'm not sure that things are pointing upwards and just don't see anything that gives me confidence at all. McDonald leaving seemed like a certainty and Edouard coming here was probably unlikely once he left campus. In a vacuum, neither of these things are a very big deal, but on top of the overall outlook of the program, I'm just feeling like they are enough of a negative to be the straw that broke the camels back imo. I've been completely behind Shafer from day 1 but think I'm ready to move on when the time comes.

if Shafer is even considering hiring a guy with one year of college coaching experience at Division III, somebody put me in a coma for a year and wake me up when Shafer is fired.
Happy Birthday, Scott.

EDIT: I was so amazed by this discussion that I failed to mention his two years of coaching at the University of St. Francis.
Helped lead the Fenwick Friars to the playoffs two straight years too.

Better than Marrone talk, that's for sure. Who'd be a good hire? Where do you want his recruiting prowess? Another midwest guy? South Florida?

I want someone with moxie, can recruit, be awesome on the sideline during games and who randomly Tweets biblical proverbs when not make an @ss of himself in the media during the week.

If people are still psyched about Eric White, then you should offer him the promotion.

In the end, it will likely be a former HC from a D2 or D3 program given the past hiring history of Shafer. Not a good or bad thing, just likely what the background will be.
Oh god. Some people complain of lack of experience regarding current coaches and others say this. This fan base is hilarious.

chugg21 said:
Just sitting here today, I think something just switched in my head that I'm ready to be done with Shafer. I'm not sure that things are pointing upwards and just don't see anything that gives me confidence at all. McDonald leaving seemed like a certainty and Edouard coming here was probably unlikely once he left campus. In a vacuum, neither of these things are a very big deal, but on top of the overall outlook of the program, I'm just feeling like they are enough of a negative to be the straw that broke the camels back imo. I've been completely behind Shafer from day 1 but think I'm ready to move on when the time comes.

Whether either is a surprise isn't the deal, but both are pretty big losses.

McDonald was a top notch recruiter in SoFlorida and Edourad provided the potential of something we've been sorely lacking, a top flight dual-threat QB.

Helped lead the Fenwick Friars to the playoffs two straight years too.

In water polo?

Seriously, SU football has seen a lot of rough times lately but there must be more experienced, up-and-coming (i.e. cheap) coaches for Shafer to hire.

Shafer should have his replacement in place already to be honest. I have to assume the guy has been chosen. This departure from George was 100% going to happen.

I say go to a Florida high school hotbed and take a flyer on some coach in high school down there. even a top assistant.
I still think we should go after Casullo's son.

If people are still psyched about Eric White, then you should offer him the promotion.

In the end, it will likely be a former HC from a D2 or D3 program given the past hiring history of Shafer. Not a good or bad thing, just likely what the background will be.

Huh? You have to hire someone who as at least some playing/coaching experience. For as valuable as Eric White is to the program, he is not a coach.

http://www.elmhurstbluejays.com/coaches.aspx?rc=523&path=football

14FB_Norton.jpg

Kristopher Norton

Kristopher Norton
Assistant Football Coach (Wide Receivers)

Email: kristopher.norton@elmhurst.edu

Kristopher Norton is entering his first year as an assistant coach with the Elmhurst Football team. Norton will work with the wide receivers during the 2014 season.

Norton spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at Fenwick High School, helping the Friars reach the playoffs in each year.

Norton spent a year as an assistant coach with the Chicago Rush in the Arena Football League. Before joining the Rush, Norton spent four seasons as an assistant coach with Ridgewood High School.

Norton also coached for two seasons at the University of St. Francis, working with the tight ends and wide receivers.

A 1999 graduate of Carthage College, Norton was a four-year letterwinner for the Red Men, earning all-CCIW honors in 1995 and 1996. He spent one year with Quad City Steamwheelers of the Arena Football League 2 in 2000.

Oh my. Please don't even joke like this.

1 of these hires have to be someone with ties to South Florida. You just can't send any coach down there and expect results. I have been beating the Rocco Casullo drum for a while, but people have brought up good points about making sure he is liked/respected since he is usually taking their best players. If that doesn't work out I would look at another HS coach from the area. Just at the results WVU had hiring the Miramar HC. Next I would comb through the support staffs of some of the very best programs in the Southeast trying to find someone with connections to the area.

If we still plan to be serious about recruiting that area this hire needs to be all about recruiting. Even if you have to do something outside the box it would be worth it. If you vet Rocco and everything comes back fine I think that could be a huge hire for us. STA alone is completely loaded for the next few years.

Uh no. Eric White has never been a WR. He has never coached a day in his life. What makes you think this would be a good idea?
Yeah but he's good on the twitter machine. Isn't that all it takes?

Honestly I really really really like the ochocinco idea. I mean why not he's got a ton of personality would deffinatly be huge news and would get the recruits buzzing with excitement! Plus as much as he had antics u can't lie the man was and still is an amazing receiver