New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New, Exciting Topic: Bringing in a WR Coach

Purdue wide receivers coach Kevin Sherman will join the Pitt staff in the same role, according to Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans, giving Narduzzi his nine full-time assistants.

So Pitt is getting Big 10 position coaches to move laterally while we hire OL coaches from D3 institutions.

Love it.

So Pitt is getting Big 10 position coaches to move laterally while we hire OL coaches from D3 institutions.

Love it.

I get the point but Pitt > Purdue. Would we be excited if we hired the same guy? doubtful. We'd be hand wringing that we hired another midwest guy. So IDK, what P5 guys would come to Syracuse? Rutgers, MD, UVA, Duke, Wake ?

I get the point.

But Pitt > Purdue. Would we be excited if we hired the same guy? doubtful. We'd be hand wringing that we hired another midwest guy. So IDK, what P5 guys would come to Syracuse? Rutgers, MD, UVA, Duke, Wake ?

And...

Doug Samuels ‏@CoachSamz 13m13 minutes ago
New UNC defensive coordinator Gene Chizik has a 3-year deal worth about 700k annually

Put me in the camp that says if we put up $700,000 to pay an OC right now, we could get a damn good one and with our defense, it would instantly win us 8-9 games next year. Obviously you have to pick the right guy, but plenty would come for that kind of money. More important, you make back that $700,000 in increased home ticket sales and concessions sales alone. It is an absolute no brainer to me.

I get the point but Pitt > Purdue. Would we be excited if we hired the same guy? doubtful. We'd be hand wringing that we hired another midwest guy. So IDK, what P5 guys would come to Syracuse? Rutgers, MD, UVA, Duke, Wake ?

How much are we paying?

I would have to think we are close to that now. The problem is that's probally on the low side for a p5 oc. I bet Kiffin made 1.5 last year.

My biggest gripe with Syracuse is their refusal to properly fund the football program. It seems like they won't spend a penny until it gets to the point we absolutely need it. I would have to think if you properly fund shafers coaching budget then he would be able to bring in more of a known oc with experience. I also would have to agree, if the program was a consistant 9/10 game winner the attendance would go up and so would their revenue. I also don't get why the Olympic team coaches Make so much when they don't bring in the money football does. I just think Syracuse is okay with having a sub standard football team and just collecting the Acc money.

I would have to think we are close to that now. The problem is that's probally on the low side for a p5 oc. I bet Kiffin made 1.5 last year.

My biggest gripe with Syracuse is their refusal to properly fund the football program. It seems like they won't spend a penny until it gets to the point we absolutely need it. I would have to think if you properly fund shafers coaching budget then he would be able to bring in more of a known oc with experience. I also would have to agree, if the program was a consistant 9/10 game winner the attendance would go up and so would their revenue. I also don't get why the Olympic team coaches Make so much when they don't bring in the money football does. I just think Syracuse is okay with having a sub standard football team and just collecting the Acc money.

I think, but don't know, that AD Gross' contract includes a huge incentive for Directors' Cup ranking. That is the only thing that makes sense to me as to why we would be paying non-revenue sport coaches much higher than average across the NCAA and P5. If so, that is a mistake that needs to be rectified at the end of his current contract and should be changed to finishes in FB and BBall or at least include those two in the calculation in a major way.

Love it.

A guy leaving Purdue is just getting out in front of the next change there.

Okay, so I know this has been discussed to death but seriously...does anyone have an idea on when we should expect an announcement? It's getting a little ridiculous at this point. What are we waiting for, exactly?

Okay, so I know this has been discussed to death but seriously...does anyone have an idea on when we should expect an announcement? It's getting a little ridiculous at this point. What are we waiting for, exactly?

Maybe the new WR coach is at another school and that school won't announce his departure until after signing day, like what SU did with Rob Moore when he left for the Bills.

Yes...

Maybe the new WR coach is at another school and that school won't announce his departure until after signing day, like what SU did with Rob Moore when he left for the Bills.
That's what I was thinking as well. And then I remembered that sure as he didn't stop McDonald from bailing on SU.

jekelish said:
That's what I was thinking as well. And then I remembered that sure as he didn't stop McDonald from bailing on SU.

Maybe the new guy has more character...

I was thinking the same thing. If there would have been a character war between shafer and gmac shafer would have another win under his belt

Nah, we aren't looking for a new WR coach, we're looking for a TE/ST coach. Acosta will slide over to wr's, so at least we should have some more flexibility with the hire.

Nah, we aren't looking for a new WR coach, we're looking for a TE/ST coach. Acosta will slide over to wr's, so at least we should have some more flexibility with the hire.

Maybe the new TE/ST coach is at another school and that school won't announce his departure until after signing day, like what SU did with Rob Moore when he left for the Bills.

The delay is making me think that it really might not be Rocco. I've completely sold myself on Rocco being the right hire, so if it doesn't happen I'm going to be a little disappointed.

I just hope Shafer takes my feelings into account, y'know?

The delay is making me think that it really might not be Rocco. I've completely sold myself on Rocco being the right hire, so if it doesn't happen I'm going to be a little disappointed.

I just hope Shafer takes my feelings into account, y'know?

Makes sense. I mean what would be the point on holding off announcing it if it were Rocco?

We all make the assumption that Syracuse has the money to compete with these other programs…and that just is not the case. The ACC money helps, but we need more. Our attendance is terrible. I was at the Clemson game this year, their stadium was packed with almost 90 thousand fans. The parking lots right outside the stadium…Huge! and people pay $10, 000 per parking space in the these "tailgate lots". This is on top of a $1,000 "Athletic Fee" that is attached to each season ticket above and beyond the cost of the tickets. Now, when we start filling the athletic coffers with that kind of consistent extra cash……then we can start competing with these other schools in terms of salaries and facilities………

We all make the assumption that Syracuse has the money to compete with these other programs…and that just is not the case. The ACC money helps, but we need more. Our attendance is terrible. I was at the Clemson game this year, their stadium was packed with almost 90 thousand fans. The parking lots right outside the stadium…Huge! and people pay $10, 000 per parking space in the these "tailgate lots". This is on top of a $1,000 "Athletic Fee" that is attached to each season ticket above and beyond the cost of the tickets. Now, when we start filling the athletic coffers with that kind of consistent extra cash……then we can start competing with these other schools in terms of salaries and facilities………

SUAD believes it can make more money on beer sales than ticket & parking spots...