New Michigan AD Is Advocate For UCONN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Michigan AD Is Advocate For UCONN

Who cares in Uconn goes to the Big. It wont hurt SU at all.

They started D1 in 2002 after a two year transition to play in the Big East.

If people wanted them, they'd be somewhere.
There appears to be another round of musical chairs coming and they are positioned to have a chance .

There appears to be another round of musical chairs coming and they are positioned to have a chance .

I think the musical chairs are in the heads of a few dozen posters at a neighbor's website.

I think the musical chairs are in the heads of a few dozen posters at a neighbor's website.
There has been lots of other sites talking about it . Where there is smoke there is fire.

The bevo wIll expand, and storz will find itself behind cincy, Memphis, the directional floridas, Houston and maybe byu.

Sounds silly to me.

Here's a guy given a big and very challenging job.

Just how much energy and priority ought he to give to getting his previous school into the B1G?

How much credibility will he have as the new guy in the B1G?

The Michigan people will tell hinm to concentrate on his new job and not his old one. The logo on his paycheck now says "M".

I imagine the B1G brass is still hiding under their desks hoping no one will talk to them about their earlier East Coast pick, the stinking, teaming txrd in NJ that has won 1 FB game and zero BB games.

MaxwellCuse started an important thread . If UCONN were to go into the B1G , it would really leave SU and BC isolated and weakened. I could see UCONN recruiting really being difficult to deal with at that point.
Has Rutgers recruiting caused us big problems?

There has been lots of other sites talking about it . Where there is smoke there is fire.

So if it's on the internet it must be true?

I guess the Big 12 might need some help but there are more logical properties out there for them.

There has been talk about this for a few years now. To expand, a school coming in has to be a revenue plus. Now, no one has thought that UConn would add revenue up to this point. What has changed?

Sounds silly to me.

Here's a guy given a big and very challenging job.

Just how much energy and priority ought he to give to getting his previous school into the B1G?

How much credibility will he have as the new guy in the B1G?

The Michigan people will tell hinm to concentrate on his new job and not his old one. The logo on his paycheck now says "M".

I imagine the B1G brass is still hiding under their desks hoping no one will talk to them about their earlier East Coast pick, the stinking, teaming txrd in NJ that has won 1 FB game and zero BB games.
I think Manuel knows whats going on behind the scenes. He is not taking upon himself to start expansion . He knows it's coming and will support UCONN .

I think Manuel knows whats going on behind the scenes. He is not taking upon himself to start expansion . He knows it's coming and will support UCONN .
It's the school president's a lot more than the A.D.'s

There has been talk about this for a few years now. To expand, a school coming in has to be a revenue plus. Now, no one has thought that UConn would add revenue up to this point. What has changed?
The decision has been made to break away from the NCAA .

The decision has been made to break away from the NCAA .
First, I would love that. second, how would you know that and the major press people don't? I don't buy it but I hope so.

First, I would love that. second, how would you know that and the major press people don't? I don't buy it but I hope so.
Ward Manuel is not a stupid man. Do you think he is going to take over an AD job as big as Michigan and start out by saying he wants to get UCONN into the B1G. Syracuse needs to do what it has to protect itself as they are very low on the pecking order.

Ward Manuel is not a stupid man. Do you think he is going to take over an AD job as big as Michigan and start out by saying he wants to get UCONN into the B1G. Syracuse needs to do what it has to protect itself as they are very low on the pecking order.
I think Warde manuel forgot about UConn the moment he took the Mich job. Now, if he can ever help them, he will. But he won't go out of his way. Let me give you an story. Ted Kennedy went to president Kennedy and asked for help for Mass.. JFK told him that he didn't give a sh## about Mass. In my life, I have moved on to other bigger jobs. I didn't concern myself with my old job.

SU is safe. Worst case we end up in the P12. You cannot get to 4x16 or 4x18 or 4x20 without us. We will always have a seat at the table even if the ACC breaks up (which is a lot less likely than the B12 breaking up unless you are a kook).

I live in CO land of some amazing legal weed. But ill tell you what i want whatever your smoking

I think Warde manuel forgot about UConn the moment he took the Mich job. Now, if he can ever help them, he will. But he won't go out of his way. Let me give you an story. Ted Kennedy went to president Kennedy and asked for help for Mass.. JFK told him that he didn't give a sh## about Mass. In my life, I have moved on to other bigger jobs. I didn't concern myself with my old job.
You are kind of making my point.

The news is not surprising: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/01/30/manuel-says-hell-be-uconn-advocate-for-power-five.html

So, what is best for Syracuse? The obvious answer is that UCONN stays in the AAC. And no one seriously believes that Warde Manuel thinks that Job One is getting the Huskies an invite into the B1G. But if it comes down to UCONN joining Kansas or Oklahoma in the B1G, or Swofford acting first to bring UCONN into the ACC, which scenario is better for Syracuse?
Bringing UConn into the ACC would be bad for both the ACC and Syracuse.

UConn joining the collective could shake PSU loose. Who would PSU rather play yearly, VT, Pitt and Syracuse or UConn, Rutgers, and Maryland? I know that the B1G East also has Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State, but the ACC might also get ND (if PSU joined down the road), and has FSU and Clemson. And sure, the B1G makes more, but throw PSU and possibly ND (as a full) into the ACC and account for the B1G having to feed UConn, and the gap isn't that large in the grand scheme of PSU athletics. Finally, I know UConn has great basketball, but I think that PSU is more concerned with finding the best collection of football programs that it can beat regularly, which give it exposure where it wants exposure (the northeast, Ohio/western PA, and the southeast). Basketball is just a plus.

Either way, all of that is a moot point. UConn isn't getting a B1G invite. They lack the resources, the name, and the facilities. Ohio State already looked the other way when it allowed Rutgers. It isn't going to do that again and take a school with no history, worse recruiting grounds than Syracuse, and a small stadium that isn't even close to campus.

The Michigan AD is just looking good in front of his buddies and/or generally looking loyal, all while knowing that it will never actually happen, so it won't actually ever cost him anything.

I don't think UCONN's shot at the Big XII is better than 500-1.
Agreed. The Big XII isn't adding UConn. If they expand, it will be by taking a school with a name like BYU, potential, some success, and a good location like UCF or Houston, or a school with some success which is also a bridge to WVU, like Memphis or Cincinnati.

It won't be UConn. They're too far and their football is too limited. I don't care how good their basketball team is - men's or women's. It won't get them an invite.

You are kind of making my point.
You have no point.

Storz is not getting in the b1g.

Penn St just doubled its home attendance by playing MSG.

Rut will do better next year.

They don't need storz.

There's no need for the b1g to send their alumni to Hartford.

The bevo won't look there either.

As an expert on the smoke/fire rule, I can most certainly tell you...there is not any smoke to get storz into the p5.

That was before UCONN moved up in football , there would be a different outcome today.
Most people around the country don't realize Uconn has a football team.

Last edited: