Next year’s roster | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s roster

Tyus will not be back. The backcourt will be Carey and Howard with Bazely and Brissett up front with Sidibe and PC splitting the center minutes. I think HW will be the 3rd guard and Marek the 3rd forward. I don’t think Hughes will get lots of minutes.
I think you nailed it if you flip Hughes and HW.

I think you nailed it if you flip Hughes and HW.
I understand the argument for Hughes but I just don't think he can shoot the ball and until I see otherwise that will be my opinion. I feel like with Carey and Howard starting we could have HW come off the bench as the PG and either guy could play the 2G. It would give us another look. Then again that is how I feel about HW playing right now but it's hasn't happened. We will see. As this year has shown you never know what could happen and it is always important to have options.

I understand the argument for Hughes but I just don't think he can shoot the ball and until I see otherwise that will be my opinion. I feel like with Carey and Howard starting we could have HW come off the bench as the PG and either guy could play the 2G. It would give us another look. Then again that is how I feel about HW playing right now but it's hasn't happened. We will see. As this year has shown you never know what could happen and it is always important to have options.
Hughes is the biggest question mark to me. Reports about him seem all over the place w/ some saying he can really stroke it. Time will tell. Ideally, both he and HW (if he's back) would get significant minutes next year, but we know that ain't happening.

I wouldn't be shocked if Washington, and Marek or Moyer transferred at the end of the year. Lot of guys being left out of the rotation next year.

I wouldn't be shocked if Washington, and Marek or Moyer transferred at the end of the year. Lot of guys being left out of the rotation next year.
I'm w/ you. Really hope not as all 3 have shown promise.

In the event we don't add another big between now and the start of next season, what are the chances Bazley could play some center in a pinch? I haven't seen him play much outside of highlights, but he looks like he's mobile, tall, and long and could be similar to what we had in Lydon on defense (at least his freshman year when he wasn't as bulked up). I mainly ask just because putting Bazley at center would give us our best offensive lineup.

In the event we don't add another big between now and the start of next season, what are the chances Bazley could play some center in a pinch? I haven't seen him play much outside of highlights, but he looks like he's mobile, tall, and long and could be similar to what we had in Lydon on defense (at least his freshman year when he wasn't as bulked up). I mainly ask just because putting Bazley at center would give us our best offensive lineup.

I could certainly see him getting spot minutes in the middle, but JB has found his goalie in PC and I don't expect him to move away from that. Fielding a workable zone is priority #1 for Boeheim (clearly there are other priorities too but zone is the leader).

The coaches are high on him because of how he performed at our elite camp when he was in HS, before he went off to prep. But we were prioritizing other recruits, so we didn't have room for him. And then he committed to ECU right around the time JB was getting ready to offer him. In a head-to-head prep matchup, he absolutely locked up the much more highly rated Hamidou Diallo [who we recruited, but ended up at Kentucky], outscoring him something like 25 to 2.

He's a big guard / wing -- weighs about 225 pounds at 6-6, and is versatile. He's supposed to be a good shooter -- better than his #'s at ECU. We'll see. Sounds a lot like Luke Jackson, with a bit more off the bounce. Again, we'll see.
There you go again...throwing around the names of one of my favorite SU players! I wish every Syracuse team had a Lukie Jackson type.

Anybody see Moyer's between the legs dribbling, step back 3, or did I dream it? If he can do that, and he's allowed to do that...

Anybody see Moyer's between the legs dribbling, step back 3, or did I dream it? If he can do that, and he's allowed to do that...

In two years, fans are going to be very, very happy with Matt Moyer.

He'll be experienced, he'll be physically mature, he'll have reshaped his body, and he'll have the versatility to flourish in our system. He'll probably take a back seat next season and move into a reserve role, and then be a high quality starter his final two years.

I wouldn't either, but I really hope it doesn't happen. All three of these guys have such potential to be really good as juniors and seniors. That would be a huge loss if it were to happen.

Those years we weren’t at 13 we had Upperclassmen to lead the team.

We have no Seniors right now and look at the team. It’s struggling. Upperclassmen are important.
13 players is a lot to ask. Recruit players depth is important.
So you can survive injuries.
If we had another big Sidibe wouldn’t be gutting it out.

This current roster is paying for the lost scholarships as Johnson and Patterson would still be here as Seniors.
This year is not a good one to use as a comparison. We only have 8 (plus Hughes) scholarship players, 5 of whom are freshmen. The staff could not have predicted the Thompson and Thorpe situations.

JB is on record that 12 is the ideal squad size--2 full teams to practice versus each other, and a couple more as protection against illness/injury and academic conflicts.

Johnson and Patterson would have graduated last year.

If Battle goes and I expect he will have 2 open scholarships. If we don’t recruit another player or 2 then patience runs thin. JB recommitted last summer he worked his butt off for Tucker and I give him credit for that. He needs to do the same this year if we have 2 scholarships hell even with one he should.
You don't recruit players to just fill out a roster. If the player can play (your system), you recruit him. You don't need to clog up your roster with guys who may not contribute.

You don't recruit players to just fill out a roster. If the player can play (your system), you recruit him. You don't need to clog up your roster with guys who may not contribute.
You recruit development prospects.
Guys who aren’t expected to command big minutes as Freshmen/Sophomores but as upperclassmen can contribute.
Schools that aren’t loaded with talent do this.

Josh Pace was a 3 star recruit who fits this.
Same for Andy Rautins.
Would you not want us to use scholarships on these type players.

Josh Pace was a 3 star recruit who fits this.
Same for Andy Rautins.
Would you not want us to use scholarships on these type players.
While I'm fully on board with this, you have to have people to fill out your roster...for every Josh Pace, Andy Rautins, etc... recently...there's a Chino, Mookie, Sean Williams, Kaleb, etc. who don't pan out. You just never know with some of these middle to lower rated players.

While I'm fully on board with this, you have to have people to fill out your roster...for every Josh Pace, Andy Rautins, etc... recently...there's a Chino, Mookie, Sean Williams, Kaleb, etc. who don't pan out. You just never know with some of these middle to lower rated players.
Correct all those guys who weren’t developing transfered out.
Chino is the perfect example. We were penalized 2 less scholarships and used one on Chino who was a good kid but not a ACC player and he left after 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom