Next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year

Only built-in loss in theory is Clemson at home... and we won the last time we played against them at the Dome.

If the OL comes together and the team avoids injury catastrophe, it could be another fun year.
I wonder how many of our opponents this year had SU as a “built in” win.

"All it is going to take" -- underestimates how many good things have to happen to win even 7 or 8 games. QB development, QB health are at the top of the list, followed by OT play, LBs. Sure, we have a lot of returning talent and good coaching, but our QBs have a total of how much starting experience among them?
None.
Sure TD didnt "start" any games but he came into 3 games and played like a starter and had 2 good games and a bad one. There will be a growing pain or two but i think now that devito will get 6 months of starter reps he will work on his timing and come out even better next season

I’m a little torn on Dungey as he obviously gave everything he had and gave us a lot of great moments but as recently as late October I knew for a FACT that Tommy Devito should take over as the starter.

9-3 minimum next season.
I agree key word being minimum. I think we could do better with our defense and I like some of our backup lineman and think they will do a bit better than our Sr did. Wr will be better as will Rb so I can say only we should be really good.

I dont like the word minimum personally as that just has a bad connotation to me. That being said i dont really see us going worse then 8-4 next year. Maryland i think will be our toughest OOC game and if we can get over the early season roadgames without injuries i think we got a good shot of 9-3 10-2 and maybe even winning the Atlantic

Sure TD didnt "start" any games but he came into 3 games and played like a starter and had 2 good games and a bad one. There will be a growing pain or two but i think now that devito will get 6 months of starter reps he will work on his timing and come out even better next season
Actually, TD played in 4 games, plus a little mop up in 2 others. Western Mich and ND - growing pains. Relief pitching to pull out win vs N Carolina - amazing. Strong second half vs FSU. Cumulative stats - 50% completion rate, net rushing yards - modestly negative. In contrast to Dungey's effort against a strong Clemson defense, TD was not so hot against a good ND defense. Yes, should be better in his third year with the program, when he gets his first start.

And my point remains. How well SU can do in 2019 rests on a newbie QB unit (and replacing the senior OTs).

Thankfully...you're not part of the decision making process.

I mean it wasn’t a super unpopular opinion at the time but yes I’m just a guy posting on a message board.

This just in folks...the OL was one of the main reasons this year was such a success. Amazed at the comments above about how much it needs to improve and how it’s warts were covered up. I’m begging for an equal amount of quality next year. If we get it, next year will be damn fun.

Feel sorry for those guys. Very under appreciated.

Don’t downplay losing the competitive fire of Dungey. Much of the success next year will rest on the shoulders of DeVito. He had some highs and lows this year. Need him to rise up and take the lead of the team, all while minimizing the lows.

Also gotta remember that Devito will be surrounded by way more playmakers than Dungey ever was. I think that'll make a huge difference. We needed to live or die by Dungey in a lot of games. That won't be the case next year with Adams, Jackson, Harris, Riley, both Johnson's, Hendrix, and Neal.

This just in folks...the OL was one of the main reasons this year was such a success. Amazed at the comments above about how much it needs to improve and how it’s warts were covered up. I’m begging for an equal amount of quality next year. If we get it, next year will be damn fun.

Agreed...but I still believe the OL will be the wildcard next year. I think we're fine G-C-G but we need to replace two very good OT's.

What we can’t control is how our opponents potentially improve. I don’t take FSU for granted, as thing *could* click there. Hopefully duke’s qb leaves and nc state doesn’t have capable backups for what they’re losing. It will be fun. We should be better, but so should have our basketball team this season. I’ve learned to keep expectations conservative!

Did you not see Dungey running for his life a lot this year? How many times was he flushed out of the pocket? How many times did his pocket collapse and force him to move up? Erics legs made us forget about a lot of that, because more often than not, he was able to turn it into something. Tommy is fast, maybe even faster than Eric, but he doesn't appear to be nearly as elusive, or have the vision Dungey has to be able to negate that collapsing protection.
If you aren't at least a bit concerned about giving Tommy time to in a clean pocket to throw his darts, then you're putting your head in the sand.
A lot of this is unknown. Maybe Tommy is more elusive than we've seen. Maybe the OL improves enough to give Tommy time. Maybe we bring in some stud transfers at OL. Maybe some RS or Freshman steps up huge. Maybe if none of those things happen, we draw up a lot of quick slants, and passes designed to get the ball out quickly before the line can break down.

Did you not see Dungey running for his life a lot this year? How many times was he flushed out of the pocket? How many times did his pocket collapse and force him to move up? Erics legs made us forget about a lot of that, because more often than not, he was able to turn it into something. Tommy is fast, maybe even faster than Eric, but he doesn't appear to be nearly as elusive, or have the vision Dungey has to be able to negate that collapsing protection.
If you aren't at least a bit concerned about giving Tommy time to in a clean pocket to throw his darts, then you're putting your head in the sand.
A lot of this is unknown. Maybe Tommy is more elusive than we've seen. Maybe the OL improves enough to give Tommy time. Maybe we bring in some stud transfers at OL. Maybe some RS or Freshman steps up huge. Maybe if none of those things happen, we draw up a lot of quick slants, and passes designed to get the ball out quickly before the line can break down.
I predict a little of both above. TD is very athletic and, hopefully, a couple of the young OLmen progress quickly.

I just have a gut feeling that Froumy might be one of those guys.

Yes. We was definitely out there warming up with the other QBs, unless we have another 6'4" black QB who can laser the ball to the sideline. lol

There was a dude wearing his uni on the sideline right in front of us all game, if that counts for anything. ;)

I feel like I have to say this again - Ed Hendrix, holy crap!
Eye test - passed, with flying colors. :cool:

He’s legit 6’4”, and not skinny like Taj.
Not the freak specimen Custis is, but closer to that end of the spectrum.

Tommy D is going to be like a kid in a candy store with all the goodies he gets to play with next year.

Also gotta remember that Devito will be surrounded by way more playmakers than Dungey ever was. I think that'll make a huge difference. We needed to live or die by Dungey in a lot of games. That won't be the case next year with Adams, Jackson, Harris, Riley, both Johnson's, Hendrix, and Neal.
Ish won so many 50 /50 balls last year .. custice won a few , ISH IMO was the best WR in compared years for sure . Next years group could be special . The biggest credit I give Babers is his awareness of our weakness he really gets it and I’m sure he will do everything possible to improve the current O line in anyway he can . Look at Ian Book he looked great vs is very elusive but not last night .Eric had his hands full in the first half bs WVU . Athletic or not sometimes there’s just no escaping. I’m at the airport waiting to board and there still plenty of Orange here . Can’t wait to wear my orange stuff to the gym and wear it proud ! Speaking of gym TD is Theresa we speak

Ish won so many 50 /50 balls last year .. custice won a few , ISH IMO was the best WR in compared years for sure . Next years group could be special . The biggest credit I give Babers is his awareness of our weakness he really gets it and I’m sure he will do everything possible to improve the current O line in anyway he can . Look at Ian Book he looked great vs is very elusive but not last night .Eric had his hands full in the first half bs WVU . Athletic or not sometimes there’s just no escaping. I’m at the airport waiting to board and there still plenty of Orange here . Can’t wait to wear my orange stuff to the gym and wear it proud ! Speaking of gym TD is Theresa we speak

Theresa = "there as"?

The one thing that we haven't seen from this offense yet is the QB throwing for 4000-ish yards.

I think that will start to happen next year.

Sure we have.
Fat Pirate did it, Garopolo did it.
It’s the same O.

But yes, we will definitely see TD do likewise next year.

Last edited:
Honestly I think all it’s going to take is reloading the offensive line and we could be looking at another double digit win season.

Thoughts?

I think 8 or 9 wins is reasonable, given our schedule for next year. Anything above that is gravy.

I'm concerned about the offensive line and how long they will take to come together.
Traveling to Maryland, even though they just fired their coach and brought in Locksley, could be a challenge that early in the season. Maryland, even though they were 5-7, still has Big 10 caliber athletes.

The other question mark, of course, is linebacker. Shy Cullen gives us a good experienced building block, and of course we are bringing in two 4-Star freshmen in Kpogba and Mikel Jones. Don't forget, we also have Juan Wallace, Kadeem Trotter and Tre Allison who took red shirts this season. So among those guys and Armstrong, that's at least seven candidates for the position. We will be young, but we should have some talent there.

The O line is going to take a few weeks to come together. Our offense is going to be vulnerable early to blitzes, I fear. I hope DeVito can get his feet quickly, and I hope Amie gets some run, just as a change of pace running QB. We have more projects on the O line. They have the frame, but will they be strong enough?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom