next years team is going to be sick | Syracusefan.com

next years team is going to be sick

kcsu

Living Legend
with the addition of the frosh, coleman and M back plus the fact that Kaleb, Rob, and BJ are all going to improve next years team will be something. Without Bryant we are a top 15 team for sure with him top 5. Should be fun

with the addition of the frosh, coleman and M back plus the fact that Kaleb, Rob, and BJ are all going to improve next years team will be something. Without Bryant we are a top 15 team for sure with him top 5. Should be fun

Don't jinx them. This talk of Top 5 is like calling on the gods to hit SU Hoops with an outbreak of mono at the very least.

We always talk about incoming freshman and they are always hit or miss. Who knows if Coleman will be as effective after a year off and multiple knee surgeries. G could very well leave, technically this is his 4th year of college, he may just decide to take off. I don't take anything for granted with players returning anymore. No way did I see grant leaving last year, there is always behind the scenes things that we don't see. Not only that, but we got the NCAA dragging there feet. Who knows what they end up deciding. I hope your right, but it could very we'll be another long year. I would wait until summer sessions start to ramp up before getting to excited and seeing who all returns, there could be a lot of roster turnover.

I don't follow recruiting a ton aside from reading up occasionally on here..

Say we don't get Bryant, what is so special about this class? 4 guys coming in but only one of them may be ready to contribute next year? I'm not saying its a bad class because we don't have a bunch of one and done dudes but really, no one aside from Richardson will be game ready next year? That doesn't sound like an amazing recruiting class.

Now if we get Bryant, I get it.

Say we don't get Bryant, what is so special about this class? 4 guys coming in but only one of them may be ready to contribute next year? I'm not saying its a bad class because we don't have a bunch of one and done dudes but really, no one aside from Richardson will be game ready next year? That doesn't sound like an amazing recruiting class.

If Malachi stepped on campus tomorrow he'd be our best 3pt shooter (although G has been on fire lately). He's a bonafide, legit scorer; probably the most natural scorer we've had as a freshman in a while. Diagne is advanced for his age as far as his post skills are concerned. He should be able to come in and contribute right away offensively. I'm not too familar with Howard or Lyndon though.

You're right, it's not 4 5-star kids. However, we have 2 kids coming in that instantly fill needs; a shooter/scorer and a low post threat. Richardson's presence alone will take some attention off Cooney. Combine that with the assumed improvements of Roberson, KJ, BJ and Ron; and hopefully the return of McCullough and Coleman.

I think Richardson and Diagne will be ready to help right away. Lydon's game could be I think, but physically I'm not sure. Howard I'm not expecting anything from right away, but who's to say he can't help?

We've got major depth issues right now. Think of how crappy our practices must be. If nothing else, next season we'll be able to compete against ourselves between games better thanks to the incoming recruits. That should impact game day.

We should be better than this yrs team but still many question marks. Does Bryant come? Is Cole healthy? Does G come back? How is McCs knee? Will Malachi play d? What i will say is if we wind up w a top 8 of G, Trevor, McC, Malachi, healthy Cole, Bryant, TRob, Kaleb we should be easily top ten , i really see no weaknesses and unfortunately i dont see BJ or RP or CO playing at all. In fact at least one would need to transfer. But with the top 8 i mentioned think of the possible starting 5: TC, MR, G, McC, Cole(or TB) or G, TC, TRob, McC, Cole(or TB) or KJ, TC, G, McC, Cole (or TB) etc etc. i love all those lineups, point is imo the top 8 of G, Trevor, Malachi , McC, TRob, Healthy Cole, Bryant, Kaleb, all 8 could start for just about anyone in the country. Maybe it all comes together and even if Cole is not healthy or Bryant doesnt come, we still should be very good because even without one of those centers, McC or Chinoso or Diagne can play backup C. Probably my biggest concern is G not coming back or McC's knee being no good...Go Cuse

Last edited:
I think Richardson and Diagne will be ready to help right away. Lydon's game could be I think, but physically I'm not sure. Howard I'm not expecting anything from right away, but who's to say he can't help?

We've got major depth issues right now. Think of how crappy our practices must be. If nothing else, next season we'll be able to compete against ourselves between games better thanks to the incoming recruits. That should impact game day.

Here's my not so bold prediction- all four will not contribute. In fact, odds are only 2, if that. Why? Going off recent history. People told me buss, Roberson, johnson, and even obokoh "could" contribute in some way. It just rarely works out that way.

First tell me exactly who will be on next year's team. Then we can try to figure out the rest.

Here's my not so bold prediction- all four will not contribute. In fact, odds are only 2, if that. Why? Going off recent history. People told me buss, Roberson, johnson, and even obokoh "could" contribute in some way. It just rarely works out that way.
Eh, depends how we're defining contributing. If they're just healthy, scholarship bodies in practice I'd count that as a contribution, especially after this season. I mean right now what's our practice look like?

Joseph vs White
Cooney vs Patterson
Gbinije vs BJ
Roberson vs some walkon?
Christmas vs Obokoh

Uhh...

Eh, depends how we're defining contributing. If they're just healthy, scholarship bodies in practice I'd count that as a contribution, especially after this season. I mean right now what's our practice look like?

Joseph vs White
Cooney vs Patterson
Gbinije vs BJ
Roberson vs some walkon?
Christmas vs Obokoh

Uhh...

Otto is playing back up PG

If G doesn't come back next year, I might have a mini-Cuse freak out. Teams like Louisville and UCONN keep talented guards around 4 years and the second ours become good it's onto the next one..
He has been in college 4 years

Maybe I'm forgetting but all 4 of those players were recruited more as program guys who were brought in for depth and to hopefully contribute down the road. None of those players were top 50 except for maybe Roberson who was a fringe top 50 if that. Unfortunately we've needed them to play earlier then expected but that's just the way college basketball works.

I'm not saying that all 4 of our freshmen will be contributing on a high level immediately but Richardson is a top 20 recruit and should at least be an added three point threat, and Diagne is a physically mature big man that has a nice well rounded game.

Nothing other than it is currently rated the 5th best class in the country without Bryant

Nothing other than it is currently rated the 5th best class in the country without Bryant
Awesome. Thanks for that non-answer, answer.

UK brought in Towns, Ulis and co. this year.

Duke brought in Okafor and Winslow.

We have one or two guys that "maybe" will contribute next year, yet we talk like we're going to dominate next year because of this #5 recruiting class. All I'm asking is why do we think that?

We have one or two guys that "maybe" will contribute next year, yet we talk like we're going to dominate next year because of this #5 recruiting class. All I'm asking is why do we think that?
JB is on record as saying this class is special might be his best and that is coming from him. Throw in Coleman, Chris and the improvment of the other players and this team has the makings of being really good.

First tell me exactly who will be on next year's team. Then we can try to figure out the rest.
Almost every year, posters make "big" predictions that the next years team will be awesome, giving all sorts of possible lineups. Of course the big question is who is going to leave early to get a scholarship for Bryant. If its, Johnson, then there is not much lost (not dissing the kid, just based on his current playing time) Paterson is valuable just because of his experience in the program. If he ever hits his stride on the offensive end like hs, then he can be a big time contributor. BUT if G decides to move on because he is 4 years out of hs and having a good year, then all the predictions are out the window. Will Joseph make that big 2nd yr jump as much on the defensive end as offense and if not then its another year with a freshmen pg. (how many schools would have replaced their pg 4 years in a row?) Who will play center and how effective? Can the inured come back strong? To may questions make prediction's silly.

Duke also has Jones who should get drafted. If you are a big fan of SU i wouldnt focus on freshmen too much. The last time freshmen really dominated for us was 2003, it may never happen again. Imo JB is more focused on upperclassmen, i think it would be great to have 5th yr seniors Trevor AND G back as leaders of this team next yr. this yrs team just had too many weak links, ie McC injury and no depth, Kaleb struggling bigtime at the point. Next yr those weaknesses may go away. As long as Malachi is the real deal we should be very good and may not need any other freshmen to contribute

Even Rak has had a rough game the last two. Fair had 3 or 4 (3-12) shooting nights in his last 7 games as a senior. Warrick turned the ball over 10 times in the first round of a ncaa tournament game as a 2 seed. Gmac the same guy who scored 43 against byu in a ncaa game was 0-6 in the first round of his last tournament game. We lost Onuaku and Fab. You just don't know these days.

Consistancy is toughness, the most coveted prize. In this day and age where man to man basketball has so much physicallity and handchecking I wish we would just recruit players who will develop into one on one players. We don't even need spot up shooters. As a coach thats what I would do. Heck you could even throw pf/sf/sg/pg out the window with that, as long as you can get the ball to the half court and you know who is capable of playing guard vs forward on d.

JB is on record as saying this class is special might be his best and that is coming from him. Throw in Coleman, Chris and the improvment of the other players and this team has the makings of being really good.
I totally agree with all that. I just don't get why everyone is so hyped about this recruiting class as it relates to next year. This recruiting class could very well make us contenders year in/year out for all their time on the hill but next year, if no Bryant, who exactly in this class is making us scream Championship aside from a designated shooter in Malachi?

Now if you say we're a contender because of G, Cooney, McCullough and the assumption some players will step up (Joseph-Roberson) and Richardson can give us big time shooting and Diagne, a legit backup 4/5 behind a healthy Coleman then yes, I'd agree we can think of ourselves as possible contenders.

So let's just go with the worst case scenario - Coleman never plays again, and Cooney and Gbinije take their degrees and get paid to play. To counter that, McCullough comes back healthy and we get Bryant with the open scholarships. Just work with me here.

Potential starting lineup is then:

PG - Joseph
2G - Malachi
F - Roberson
F - McCullough
C - Bryant

With a bench of:

Diagne
Buss
BJ
Chino
Lydon
Howard

That's a team that could make some noise. It does depend on McCullough coming back and having one of Bryant or Coleman. Plus, we probably do get Cooney and Gbinije back. Next year's team should be pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom