next years team is going to be sick | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

next years team is going to be sick

I just don't see next year being much better. We lose Rak which is a massive loss.

Bryant - Not sure we even get him.

Coleman - glad to see him returning, I just don't expect much out of him. He wasn't really good when when he was playing and being almost 2 years from live action along with 3 knee injuries and 2 surgeries I'm not optimistic he can give us 10-15 minutes a game next year. I can't count on much from him.

Diagne - With McCullough and Roberson manning the 4 his shot is going to be able to play the 5. When was the last time a freshman came in and gave us solid minutes from the 5? I don't know but it's been a long t long time.

McCullough - if he comes back I'll be happy. Most upside on next years roster, hope he ends up what we think he's capable of, that will take a lot of heat off everybody else.

Roberson - If he can be a consistent 8 points and 8 rebound guy I'd be happy, not sure he even sees the minutes that he's been playing next year though.

Cooney & G - Great players, expect pretty much the same as we're seeing now.

Richardson - I don't doubt he's the jewel of this class but where do the minutes come from? Cooney and G are going to be playing 30+, you're high if you think otherwise. Will probably get 15-20 minutes a game before ACC play but I'd say he sees about 10 a game when conference season starts.

Joseph - I see something in him, I do like how he pushes the ball, I think his mid range jumper is there and can be deadly with the right squad around him. I'm sure G will still see the backup point minutes which will allow Richardson to get his minutes.

Buss and BJ - I honestly can say I see a ton of DNPs from them. Buss has been recruited over and BJ has far too many guys ahead of them. I'd be shocked to see then average 5-7 minutes a game next season. I hate to see guys leave, but I hate even worse to see guys buried on the bench with little chance to get off, might be best for them to transfer if they want pt in the future.

Howard and Lydon - both will have solid futures with is, hope Lydon takes a shirt with the guys in front of him, Howard could get an opportunity next year if Joseph doesn't improve, but Howard isn't a point guard yet and will probably have the same problems Joseph has had this year. I don't think they're much of factors next year.

All this said, nothing about any of this screams top 15 to me, if it all comes together sure, but even with Bryant I don't think we sniff top 5 all year.
you seem to be saying TC, G and McC will all be really good next yr and they will be surrounded by a slightly better supporting cast and at the very least more depth. imagine this yrs team if McC is healthy and TC and G had played great the whole season. If G had played like he is now we probably beat Villanova. (not to mention if G is as good as he is now we might have beat Cal or Mich or StJ). if McC is healthy we might have won 2 of 3 against UNC, Duke and Pitt, at least one. and we probably beat Clemson or Miami. we get those wins we are probably top 15 this yr, especially if we have more depth. imo you overestimate how good college bball is. not too many great teams in the top 15 to say the least. bottom line a nucleus of G, TC, healthy McC, TRob and Kaleb to go w more depth should be as good as any of the mediocre teams comprising the 2nd ten next year and then if Malachi is the real deal we have more upside...all imho. and that assumes rather pessimistically like you that Cole is not healthy and no Bryant.

I just don't see next year being much better. We lose Rak which is a massive loss.

Bryant - Not sure we even get him.

Coleman - glad to see him returning, I just don't expect much out of him. He wasn't really good when when he was playing and being almost 2 years from live action along with 3 knee injuries and 2 surgeries I'm not optimistic he can give us 10-15 minutes a game next year. I can't count on much from him.

Diagne - With McCullough and Roberson manning the 4 his shot is going to be able to play the 5. When was the last time a freshman came in and gave us solid minutes from the 5? I don't know but it's been a long t long time.

McCullough - if he comes back I'll be happy. Most upside on next years roster, hope he ends up what we think he's capable of, that will take a lot of heat off everybody else.

Roberson - If he can be a consistent 8 points and 8 rebound guy I'd be happy, not sure he even sees the minutes that he's been playing next year though.

Cooney & G - Great players, expect pretty much the same as we're seeing now.

Richardson - I don't doubt he's the jewel of this class but where do the minutes come from? Cooney and G are going to be playing 30+, you're high if you think otherwise. Will probably get 15-20 minutes a game before ACC play but I'd say he sees about 10 a game when conference season starts.

Joseph - I see something in him, I do like how he pushes the ball, I think his mid range jumper is there and can be deadly with the right squad around him. I'm sure G will still see the backup point minutes which will allow Richardson to get his minutes.

Buss and BJ - I honestly can say I see a ton of DNPs from them. Buss has been recruited over and BJ has far too many guys ahead of them. I'd be shocked to see then average 5-7 minutes a game next season. I hate to see guys leave, but I hate even worse to see guys buried on the bench with little chance to get off, might be best for them to transfer if they want pt in the future.

Howard and Lydon - both will have solid futures with is, hope Lydon takes a shirt with the guys in front of him, Howard could get an opportunity next year if Joseph doesn't improve, but Howard isn't a point guard yet and will probably have the same problems Joseph has had this year. I don't think they're much of factors next year.

All this said, nothing about any of this screams top 15 to me, if it all comes together sure, but even with Bryant I don't think we sniff top 5 all year.
keep in mind its all relative to other teams. look at Duke, Cook is gone, OKafor is gone and most draft boards have Winslow top15, many boards have Jones top 20. if all 4 of those guys leave and only Rak leaves for Cuse you really think we wont be better than Duke? is Duke ever NOT top 15? lol its all relative

Jack Hall said:
you seem to be saying TC, G and McC will all be really good next yr and they will be surrounded by a slightly better supporting cast and at the very least more depth. imagine this yrs team if McC is healthy and TC and G had played great the whole season. If G had played like he is now we probably beat Villanova. (not to mention if G is as good as he is now we might have beat Cal or Mich or StJ). if McC is healthy we might have won 2 of 3 against UNC, Duke and Pitt, at least one. and we probably beat Clemson or Miami. we get those wins we are probably top 15 this yr, especially if we have more depth. imo you overestimate how good college bball is. not too many great teams in the top 15 to say the least. bottom line a nucleus of G, TC, healthy McC, TRob and Kaleb to go w more depth should be as good as any of the mediocre teams comprising the 2nd ten next year and then if Malachi is the real deal we have more upside...all imho. and that assumes rather pessimistically like you that Cole is not healthy and no Bryant.

What do you honestly and realistically expect from DC?

And yes, you can say that there are not many great teams in the top 15 but we are very very very far away from the top 15, top 25 and probably top 35 this year. A few extra wins this year doesn't even get us into the top 25 right now depending on what games were victories. Rak is a big loss and it just seems like that is being ignored big time.

Jack Hall said:
keep in mind its all relative to other teams. look at Duke, Cook is gone, OKafor is gone and most draft boards have Winslow top15, many boards have Jones top 20. if all 4 of those guys leave and only Rak leaves for Cuse you really think we wont be better than Duke? is Duke ever NOT top 15? lol its all relative

Which boards has Jones top 20? I haven't seen one, actually I think I've seen one show him late first round and that's it.

They have Jeter coming in and already have a capable Plumlee returning.

I guess my question is, what do we have coming in that makes up for the loss of Rak? McCullough coming back from injury is the closest thing but outside of that what is game changing?

What do you honestly and realistically expect from DC?

And yes, you can say that there are not many great teams in the top 15 but we are very very very far away from the top 15, top 25 and probably top 35 this year. A few extra wins this year doesn't even get us into the top 25 right now depending on what games were victories. Rak is a big loss and it just seems like that is being ignored big time.
You are not mentioning that McC is injured when you say not top 35, you dont assume that next year. we beat Vill, Mich, Unc and Miami we are 20-5 and in the top 15. we would be 9-3 in ACC. i am just a little more optimistic than you . we shall see

Jack Hall said:
You are not mentioning that McC is injured, you dont assume that next year. we beat Vill, Mich, Unc and Miami we are 20-5 and in the top 15. we would be 11-2 in ACC. i am just a little more optimistic than you . we shall see

I've mentioned McCullough twice.

I'm optimistic as well, I think well be better next year, but being better and being a top 15 or top 5 is an extreme turn around. No?

I've mentioned McCullough twice.

I'm optimistic as well, I think well be better next year, but being better and being a top 15 or top 5 is an extreme turn around. No?
Rak is one of 5 positions, we will have McC, Chinoso and Diagne at the very least. funny now you are mentioning top 5. if we had McC we wouldnt be far off from top 25 this yr imo. we lose only Rak we move up toward top 15 imo easily. we shall see

Jack Hall said:
Rak is one of 5 positions, we will have McC, Chinoso and Diagne at the very least. funny now you are mentioning top 5. if we had McC we wouldnt be far off from top 25 this yr imo. we lose only Rak we move up toward top 15 imo easily. we shall see

I personally think that's insulting Rak saying Mc, Chin, and Diagne can replace him there. If McCullough plays 20 minutes a game at the 5 we have even bigger issues, he'll be eaten alive down there game by game. If you don't think Raks presence is a big deal in our zone and Chin and Diagne isn't a drop off I don't know what to tell you.

We may reach the top 15 next season, but I'm willing to bet you that we don't start nor finish there.

JB also called the Nichols/Watkins/Roberts/McCr class his best ever.

Not that I'm not excited for this year's class coming in, I'm just saying.

docsu said:
JB also called the Nichols/Watkins/Roberts/McCr class his best ever. Not that I'm not excited for this year's class coming in, I'm just saying.

On paper coming in I'd prefer the Trob class. Knowing what I know now, yikes.

I personally think that's insulting Rak saying Mc, Chin, and Diagne can replace him there. If McCullough plays 20 minutes a game at the 5 we have even bigger issues, he'll be eaten alive down there game by game. If you don't think Raks presence is a big deal in our zone and Chin and Diagne isn't a drop off I don't know what to tell you.

We may reach the top 15 next season, but I'm willing to bet you that we don't start nor finish there.
lol who said those 3 can replace Rak? i certainly didnt, i simply said those 3 will be playing the C position. no question losing Rak is a big loss, anyone can see that. there is also a great chance that we will be improved at the other 4 positions AND the bench. take a careful look at what ul, duk, uva, nd lose next season and what we lose. might make you more optimistic. but prob not

If Malachi stepped on campus tomorrow he'd be our best 3pt shooter (although G has been on fire lately). He's a bonafide, legit scorer; probably the most natural scorer we've had as a freshman in a while. Diagne is advanced for his age as far as his post skills are concerned. He should be able to come in and contribute right away offensively. I'm not too familar with Howard or Lyndon though.

You're right, it's not 4 5-star kids. However, we have 2 kids coming in that instantly fill needs; a shooter/scorer and a low post threat. Richardson's presence alone will take some attention off Cooney. Combine that with the assumed improvements of Roberson, KJ, BJ and Ron; and hopefully the return of McCullough and Coleman.
Give me a break. G is the best 3 point shooter in the ACC. Is Malachi going to be the best 3 point shooter in the Nation?

Give me a break. G is the best 3 point shooter in the ACC. Is Malachi going to be the best 3 point shooter in the Nation?
3 good shooters tho possibly, whens the last time Cuse had that?

JB also called the Nichols/Watkins/Roberts/McCr class his best ever.

Not that I'm not excited for this year's class coming in, I'm just saying.
no he didnt

As good as next years team COULD be, it'll all depend on the development of the PG position. Joseph has to improve drastically or maybe Frank Howard is a pleasant surprise... I must add, maybe put Gbinije at the point and have malachi and Cooney out wide to give Silent G a lot of spacing to work with... This all assuming Silent G comes back which he better! I think Diagne will be good but I don't know about Lydon. My prep school that I'm an alumni of now shut Lydon down for one point the other night... He seems to have size and can really shoot... Also I heard he's a leaper. Let's hope Coleman and Mccollough are all healthy too..

Bottom line, currently, next year is just a bunch of "what ifs" unfortunately.

being top 15 next year isn't that big of a reach, some of you think it's next to impossible lol. Some teams in the top 15 have 6 or 7 losses right now. I guess I should just refrain from even bothering reading some of this crap. on that note I'm very opitmisic about next year.

cusetown1 said:
being top 15 next year isn't that big of a reach, some of you think it's next to impossible lol. Some teams in the top 15 have 6 or 7 losses right now. I guess I should just refrain from even bothering reading some of this crap. on that note I'm very opitmisic about next year.

The teams with 6 and 7 losses have many good and some have great wins against quality teams. Our best win is against Iowa. All losses and wins aren't created equal.

The teams with 6 and 7 losses have many good and some have great wins against quality teams. Our best win is against Iowa. All losses and wins aren't created equal.
And with limited depth and a mediocre team (for syracuse standards) we could have beat nova and unc. Along with a few other lesser team. We missed 10 or so layups yesterday against duke that's another one we could have won. You do realize as bad as this team may appear they haven't been more than a 7 or 8 point underdog this year.

cusetown1 said:
And with limited depth and a mediocre team (for syracuse standards) we could have beat nova and unc. Along with a few other lesser team. We missed 10 or so layups yesterday against duke that's another one we could have won. You do realize as bad as this team may appear they haven't been more than a 7 or 8 point underdog this year.

I can play this same game the other way and say how many more losses we could have but I'm not. It's a foolish argument.

I can play this same game the other way and say how many more losses we could have but I'm not. It's a foolish argument.
lol ok sure it is. prolly best for me to ignore you.

But what's not foolish is that we've been competitive in several of those games right down to the wire. No doubt, we haven't gotten W's. But for this being our worst team in 10+ years, we seem to be able to hang with top 10 teams for 38 minutes.

I don't take comfort in pyrrhic victories. And we didn't win those games. But you'd have to be blind to not see that even with a team that is extremely limited from a depth standpoint and has imbalanced scoring, we are an eyelash away from being pretty good THIS YEAR. Many of those issues can improve over the course of the next year or two with the players we're bringing in, and who we'll have returning.

RF2044 said:
But what's not foolish is that we've been competitive in several of those games right down to the wire. No doubt, we haven't gotten W's. But for this being our worst team in 10+ years, we seem to be able to hang with top 10 teams for 38 minutes. I don't take comfort in pyrrhic victories. And we didn't win those games. But you'd have to be blind to not see that even with a team that is extremely limited from a depth standpoint and has imbalanced scoring, we are an eyelash away from being pretty good THIS YEAR. Many of those issues can improve over the course of the next year or two with the players we're bringing in, and who we'll have returning.

I have zero doubt we'll be good in two years. Next year I think will be a year better than this one, my main question is how much better. A jump from this to top 15 isn't impossible, but it's not nearly as a guarantee as it's being made to be.

I have zero doubt we'll be good in two years. Next year I think will be a year better than this one, my main question is how much better. A jump from this to top 15 isn't impossible, but it's not nearly as a guarantee as it's being made to be.

We are really not that far from the top 15 THIS year; that's the irony. Maybe if McCullough didn't get injured, or if Joseph were a little further along the developmental curve, we would have closed out a few games. But how bad this team is is being overstated. And with three figural pieces coming back next year, that's a tremendous nucleus to build upon.

We are really not that far from the top 15 THIS year; that's the irony. Maybe if McCullough didn't get injured, or if Joseph were a little further along the developmental curve, we would have closed out a few games. But how bad this team is is being overstated. And with three figural pieces coming back next year, that's a tremendous nucleus to build upon.
The sad thing is its all a game of who comes back and who leaves. If Jones and Winslow both leave , Duke is a completely different team next yr just like we became one when Grant and Ennis left. If Uva loses Brogden and Anderson they will be entirely different. Same w Unc for Paige and Johnson or Meeks. Nd and UL lose a lot no matter what. Most of these young guys leave which is why college bball has become so mediocre. Its all so arbitrary and it certainly didnt go our way last yr w Ennis and Grant and then for UK things went very well for them (and the year UK won it all they were very fortunate w Jones and Lamb coming back because of nba union uncertainty). Hopefully next couple years things go our way

I think our best lineup next year is
Pg: Gbinije
Sg: Cooney
Sf: Roberson
Pf: Mccullough
C: Coleman
Bench: Joseph, Diange, Richardson, Lyndon, Bryant, Howard, chinoso and maybe Patterson and Johnson
Nothing against Joseph but Gbinije is hard to keep off the floor and seems to be the better playmaker. Very deep team and lots of talent!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom