NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by longislandcuse, Aug 14, 2016.

1. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad Starter

Ah thanks.

That was a suck azz division competition wise then.

Even if Green Bay did smoke the Giants, it was at home.

But the Packers may be the best franchise in sports so I'm ok with it.

2. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Hall of Fame

Simple answer.

ZERO

Edit: no wait, 1.

Minnesota 07. That was his fault. The rest are just him trying to win, which is why he's a league leader most years in 4th qtr comebacks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Trueblue25 likes this.
  3. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Hall of Fame

Ryan Tannehill's going to be a very good QB next year but I'd still take Eli over him in an instant. Over Phillip Rivers and Carson Palmer for that matter as well.

4. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Carson isn't even the discussion.
    Matt Moore might be as good as Ryan Tannehill. Your HC can coach offense.

Eli is a HOFer but Philip Rivers and Ben Rothlisberger are both better QBs from that draft class.
    Eli gets credit for 2 SBs but Rivers has played for a bottom 5 organization in the NFL.
    If Rivers were the Giants QB i think he wins SBs.
    Rivers is a tough SOB.

Toga likes this.
  5. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Hall of Fame

Moore's got a solid arm and limits his mistakes but I think Tannehill's starting to scratch the surface of his upside now that he has a more solid line, a run game and a deep ball connection with Kenny Stills.

I think Rivers gets to the Super Bowl if he's with the Giants but I don't think he'd beat New England. He's had a fairly mediocre career vs them despite having considerable talent around him on offense.

6. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

So the Giants D wouldn't have held the Pats to 14 points in the 2007?
    Or 17 points in 2011?
    Eli didn't light the Pats up he scored 17 and 21(really 20 because the Giants D got a safety) points.
    Rivers could have easily done this.
    The narrative that Eli dominates the Pats is just false. He had tremendous 4th quarter 2 minute drives. He was sub par with the rest in both games. Hell Julian Edelman was the Pats slot CB in the 2011 SB.
    That Pats team was pure garbage and it was a historically weak AFC that year.

Cusefan0307 likes this.
  7. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Hall of Fame

Well seeing as the Chargers lost 21-12 to the Pats in the '07 post season, I think 2 scores would've been enough to capture that Super Bowl for the Patriots vs. Phil. The chargers arguably had a better offense than the Giants did that year as well, despite Tomlinson going out in the playoffs.

Phillip Rivers may be the better quarterback, but I trust Eli more in the playoffs. Because I want my team to win super bowls, I pick Eli. I can see the arguments, and they're good ones, that Eli is hardly responsible for the Superbowls won. But looking at both QB's careers, I'd rather have the guy that gets you there and does just enough to get the job done rather than the guy who seems to often just collapse.

8. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

In defense of Rivers he played that game with a torn ACL and sprained MCL after getting hurt the previous week against the Colts. Tomlinson completely asked out of that game and wasn't nearly as hurt.

ssbriefcase and Alsacs like this.
  9. Ryand877

Ryand877 2nd String

To be fair, Rivers lost his best WR in week 1 and his pass catching RB in week 2 to season ending injuries. I think he did okay, considering all the injuries their WR group had this year. Lost Stevie Johnson before the season started, Benjamin was hurt for a while, and Gates missed some time too.

Alsacs and Trueblue25 like this.
  10. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

You know that Rivers played that 2007 game with a TORN ACL. He lost Ladanion Tomilson on the first drive of that game as well.
    Rivers had huge stones even playing that entire game with a torn ACL after injuring it the previous week at Indy.

Trueblue25, Ryand877 and Cusefan0307 like this.
  11. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Hall of Fame

That actually was lost on me, so yeah that's really impressive.

I'm just a firm believer of the thought that some guys have it and some guys don't. I think Rivers is a great QB but I just don't think he has the same "it factor" as the guys that do win the big games. I don't care whether it's pure luck that Eli won those rings or not, it's enough for me. It's a shame that he tore his ACL and LT dipped on him, and impressive he stuck through it, but I don't really like playing the what-if scenarios.

As a Dolphins fan who hasn't sniffed the Super Bowl in my lifetime I'll always choose the guy who seems to have "it" rather than a guy with better stats.

12. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Hall of Fame

Rivers is a jackass who would've been eaten up by the NYC media.

Ben would be in jail for rape.

NY got the right QB.

13. OrangeXtreme

OrangeXtreme Moderator Staff Member

New York Giants ‏@Giants
    "We did some really good things this year. 11-5 is the best season I've ever had. Guys in here should be proud." - @JustinPugh

"Everyone thinks they could've done more...everyone takes that feeling and realizes what needs to be done." - @JustinPugh

14. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Packers seem to be that team everyone is overrated after Wild Card weekend.
    The Giants dominated them for the first 25 minutes and then Rodgers made one play and McAdoo/Eli butchered the final drive before the 2 minute warning and that fluck Hail Mary.
    The Cowboys are going to pound Green Bay unless Rodgers plays insane. Cole Beasley is going to have 10 catches this week..

Atlanta-Seattle and Kansas City-Pittsburgh are pure coin flips.

Houston-New England comes down to does NE even show up. If they dont turn the ball over this will get ugly. I honestly think NE could start Garapolio and cover -17.

15. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Sports Pope on OBJ

16. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Hall of Fame

Catch the ball...

I'd trade him.

Get me 2 1s and a maybe a 2...likely a 3 though.

17. Melancer46

Melancer46 All Conference

They've won like 7 games in a row now; I don't think it's an overreaction to one win against the Giants at all, and as far as I know, they're still going to be underdogs this week.

18. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Hall of Fame

Giants beat them up pretty good, but pokes suck.

Take the points and slam the pack.

19. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

They have beaten what Dan Shaughnessy would call 6 tomato cans and the Giants.
    Green Bay wasn't as good as that game yesterday's score says.
    Their weakness was not exploded. Dallas ran on them in GB and they will take advantage of that secondary.
    I am waiting for the GB money in Vegas and then will grab Dallas.

20. Bayside44

Bayside44 Moderator Staff Member

I heard Bobby Rainey's name enough to last me a lifetime. Beasley will get 10 catches for 77 yards. Rodgers will challenge Dallas downfield, we will see if that works.