Ogundeko | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ogundeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the last visit.. get the commitment... Word was that he is going to be visiting SU again this month with his mom... that bodes well for us if true.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- ESPN 150 defensive end Ebenezer Ogundeko (Brooklyn, N.Y./Thomas Jefferson) camped at Florida on Saturday. The visit for the 6-foot-3, 229-pound Under Armour All-American vaulted the Gators near the top of his list.

"It was great," Ogundeko. "I got to spend time with the players and coaches. I bonded with the players pretty good. It was a great environment to be in. The weather was great. I liked everything about it. I'd say Florida, Notre Dame and Syracuse are my top three right now."

While on his visit, the No. 9-ranked defensive end in the country said he had a chance to spend time with Florida head coach Will Muschamp and defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

Lord I hope he doesn't mean "right now" until I change my mind again.

He announced these three a few days ago, IIRC.

he may be visiting this coming weekend (supposed to take one last visit to Cuse before decision) with his mother (who favors SU) ... now after that visit we need to have TW camp outside his house to prevent any 3 AM visits from happening

He announced these three a few days ago, IIRC.

I know he did, after visiting Fl on Saturday, I posted his tweet to Brazille. I was more interested in his commentary on his visit to Gatorland. I hope that he listens to his mother and commits to SU as I think he needs to stay close to home.

I know he did, after visiting Fl on Saturday, I posted his tweet to Brazille. I was more interested in his commentary on his visit to Gatorland. I hope that he listens to his mother and commits to SU as I think he needs to stay close to home.

Okay, didn't realize his narrowing down to 3 was after his visit. I thought we was just re-confirming.

The key here is Gus Edwards. ND hasn't offered him and I very much doubt UF will. This will test how badly they really want to go to school together... IF they really do, then it's SU. All the Brooklyn boys will be reunited on the hill.

The key here is Gus Edwards. ND hasn't offered him and I very much doubt UF will. This will test how badly they really want to go to school together... IF they really do, then it's SU. All the Brooklyn boys will be reunited on the hill.

And then the question is can the best Brooklyn/LI guys compete with the best PA, New Jersey or Southern/Central Florida guys?

Haha, this guy loves everybody after he visits them.
Exactly! Anyword on our chances? I admit I missed the boat early on with this kid, but after the UCONN committ/decommitt realized if anyone is contention, regardless of who the kid signs with, they will have to sweat it out until signing day. I see that slimmy Kelly going after him the last day and yanking his committ from somebody else. Does anyone see him really coming to SU? At least I felt we had a shot with Ishaq, JJ made it clear early on without all the hoopla, but I never had a feeling Ebeneezer was coming or even a solid recruit for SU. It would be a solid year out of NY if we bag Smith, Officer and maybe Edwards, or at least 2 out of 3.

And then the question is can the best Brooklyn/LI guys compete with the best PA, New Jersey or Southern/Central Florida guys?
Not as freshman. But as redshirt sophomores/juniors/seniors I would bet on the NY guys every time. With the limited resources/talent/competition in NYS, these kids need 1-2 years of BCS level coaching/strength training/opposing talent to catch up to the rest of the pack.

It's simple math. Florida kids play as many as 12 games a year in high school, NYS kids play 8-9 games. Over four years, that's about an extra season. Not to mention the different levels of coaching and talent that exist.

A perfect example is Desir vs. Reddish. Both seem to have similar physical talents, both were rated similarly. One was from Florida, the other from NY. The difference is that Desir was given more opportunity to grow as he was exposed to better talent, coaching, more games, etc. Over the next 4 years, I bet Reddish has the more productive career as he is given equal resources as Desir to excel. Which is something he hasn't been accustomed too.

Not as freshman. But as redshirt sophomores/juniors/seniors I would bet on the NY guys every time. With the limited resources/talent/competition in NYS, these kids need 1-2 years of BCS level coaching/strength training/opposing talent to catch up to the rest of the pack.

It's simple math. Florida kids play as many as 12 games a year in high school, NYS kids play 8-9 games. Over four years, that's about an extra season. Not to mention the different levels of coaching and talent that exist.

No spring football in NY either.

Cookin raw with the brooklyn boys!

Except Ishaq wanted Cuse and poppa said no. ******.

Cil is that true that Ishaq wanted to go to SU? If so, its surprising that his father, an SU guy would veto it

Cil is that true that Ishaq wanted to go to SU? If so, its surprising that his father, an SU guy would veto it
I think I remember his father talking about Notre Dame being better for Ishaq's "brand". They seemed to be thinking towards the future and the best way to market him vs. their own personal loyalties.

No spring football in NY either.
In addition, "voluntary", organized strength and conditioning training goes on in the summer as well in the south. I know at a local high school, here in Georgia, kids had a week or two off after the end of school (Memorial Day weekend) and then they started their M-W-F 2-hour morning conditioning sessions. These will continue until summer practices start.

I think I remember his father talking about Notre Dame being better for Ishaq's "brand". They seemed to be thinking towards the future and the best way to market him vs. their own personal loyalties.

Chan Jones thinks this is hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct... Yet, I also remember his father saying that while Ishaq's brand was ND, he was working to help get other kids to Cuse... which at the time really ticked me off!

You are correct... Yet, I also remember his father saying that while Ishaq's brand was ND, he was working to help get other kids to Cuse... which at the time really ticked me off!
Well, the ND Brand for Mr Williams is yet to be seen. A rocky first year along with an off the cuff comment this spring by Coach Kelly that says "He is getting there!" Frankly, we don't want or need Mr. Williams Sr. speaking for the CUSE Program, if I was a recruit, oh SU is good enough for me, but not your own son...

In addition, "voluntary", organized strength and conditioning training goes on in the summer as well in the south. I know at a local high school, here in Georgia, kids had a week or two off after the end of school (Memorial Day weekend) and then they started their M-W-F 2-hour morning conditioning sessions. These will continue until summer practices start.

Same here in Texas, but it's every day during the week. In fact, they invite 8th graders (middle school) in any sport to the high school "conditioning" camps. Usually last 6 weeks.

Once Syracuse builds depth and can afford to RS most of its recruits you will see the NY kids do very well

To be honest, I am not sold yet. I think SU needs a healthy amount of Florida, Penn, Georgia guys to go along with the NYC kids.

Once Syracuse builds depth and can afford to RS most of its recruits you will see the NY kids do very well

I think you're right. It felt qualitatively different 2-3 years ago, when we completely lacked depth, to question whether it was a sound strategy to gamble on NYC / LI / metro kids who might have the athleticism but lacked the experience because we needed guys to contribute early on just to fill out the two-deep and on special teams.

But a more established team with better depth that doesn't need to rush kids out and rely upon them to be contributors their first year--suddenly, the long term viability of that strategy makes a lot more sense.

By no means am I saying that the SU program is all the way "back," or that we are where we need to be recruiting wise, etc. But with recruiting seemingly trending in the right direction, establishing ourselves into the 9M+ NYC population as an untapped resource for football is starting to look smarter and smarter.

he may be visiting this coming weekend (supposed to take one last visit to Cuse before decision) with his mother (who favors SU) ... now after that visit we need to have TW camp outside his house to prevent any 3 AM visits from happening
As of yesterday he is done w/ visits even though he was initially set to visit us again in June. Things can change so who knows but obviously that visit with mom could have really helped us here.

As of yesterday he is done w/ visits even though he was initially set to visit us again in June. Things can change so who knows but obviously that visit with mom could have really helped us here.

where did you read that?

Status
Not open for further replies.