Okay so the Judah play? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Okay so the Judah play?

We don’t have anyone that’s good with the ball. Q is a good passer but is out of control often with the ball; JJ doesn’t have a tight handle at all. That pretty much only leaves Judah

I think it’s on Judah more than the coaches. There’s passes to be made. He doesn’t make them.
And there’s no excuse for it. There’s no way he’s 6-4, so let’s say he’s 6-2. Unless he’s been that height since middle school, how does a player of his size not have PG skills?

I know he’s had some high assist games. In general, he doesn’t know how to run an offense, doesn’t make good decisions, and struggles against the press.

And there’s no excuse for it. There’s no way he’s 6-4, so let’s say he’s 6-2. Unless he’s been that height since middle school, how does a player of his size not have PG skills?

I know he’s had some high assist games. In general, he doesn’t know how to run an offense, doesn’t make good decisions, and struggles against the press.
Someone made an excuse in the game thread that he didn't pass to Justin Taylor because Taylor never shoots. While that may be true that cannot happen and tells me he's not a guy looking to make his team better.

I can't remember the last time he ran a break correctly. Heck for all of Taylors warts he ran the 3 on 2 in the game better than Judah has all year yesterday.

Someone made an excuse in the game thread that he didn't pass to Justin Taylor because Taylor never shoots. While that may be true that cannot happen and tells me he's not a guy looking to make his team better.

I can't remember the last time he ran a break correctly. Heck for all of Taylors warts he ran the 3 on 2 in the game better than Judah has all year yesterday.
I agree he’s not a guy looking to make his teammates better. He is a guy looking to blame his teammates for his own mistakes and shortcomings.

I hate to say it, but I'm close to this conclusion also.

You look back at where he had committed to Pitt and a top 35 player wasn’t being courted by all the blue bloods and after two years the tendencies to this point sticks out. His game is just too focused on him doing everything when he has the ball in his hands including not giving up the rock.

I don’t see him as a selfish or bad kid- not in the least and seems the opposite but his game itself is very selfish and overly ball dominant. He doesn’t stay ahead of the defense and thus many of his plays are very much rushed or forced even if he is good at it and drawing contact.

In today’s game to be that ball dominant you have to have to be a legit threat from distance both in pct and volume. His game from outside the 3pt line seems forced and consequently is ineffective

Not many guys have to come to grips with testing the NBA waters then coming back for another year and then doing the same thing a year later only to find out they’re in much worse shape for the league.

There’s no way he’s not aware that his draft stock has plummeted and with how the season is shaping up it’s not looking to get better. That would weigh heavily on anyone.

I’m not saying it’s ok. Just saying that he’s got some major self reflection to do and that’s not so easy to do playing league games every 3 days in Feb.

I don't think Judah has neither exceeded expectations nor fallen short. I'm in the middle. He's had stretch's/games where you go Wow. Buts also had stretch's/games where you say WTH is he doing. I know he can rack up assists sometimes if we're making outside shots but I still don't think he's grown into the PG role which is more than assists alone. I still don't see him directing the offense and getting guys in the right places at the right times and knowing when to get someone the ball and where. Part of it is he wasn't really the PG at Oak Hill. I watched several of his games and it seemed like he played SF as much if not more than the 1 or 2. Probably why he's an often a good rebounder for a PG. When Oak Hill ran he’d usually be on the wing and filling the lanes and not often leading the break.

I still don't think he's grown into the PG role which is more than assists alone. I still don't see him directing the offense and getting guys in the right places at the right times and knowing when to get someone the ball and where.
Good points, especially the above. A true PG has to have a certain skill set combined with basketball IQ and the willingness to do the things you listed. You have to have all 3 to be a true PG and not just a guard playing the position - as we have seen all too often dating back to Ennis.

I don't think Judah has neither exceeded expectations nor fallen short. I'm in the middle. He's had stretch's/games where you go Wow. Buts also had stretch's/games where you say WTH is he doing. I know he can rack up assists sometimes if we're making outside shots but I still don't think he's grown into the PG role which is more than assists alone. I still don't see him directing the offense and getting guys in the right places at the right times and knowing when to get someone the ball and where. Part of it is he wasn't really the PG at Oak Hill. I watched several of his games and it seemed like he played SF as much if not more than the 1 or 2. Probably why he's an often a good rebounder for a PG. When Oak Hill ran he’d usually be on the wing and filling the lanes and not often leading the break.

Fair take.

I would say he isn't meeting my expectations because, to what you alluded to, he hasn't re-calibrated to a real lead guard to raise the floor of the full team. He clearly is talented, but his decision making combined with his physical limitations equal some really uneven games.

He is producing. He is good. But he's not making the jump to what you'd want from someone who was, at least for me, thought to have AA potential.

So I think I agree with you, but I did expect him to be a better lead guard.

I'll say it this way, I've been a huge fan of Maliq since last year, but in no world did I think he would be the best player on this team, and he is, over Judah. Judah may be the most talented, but Maliq is the best.

Judah's in a weird spot. This draft is probably the least talented since 2013 and he isn't showing up on mocks as of late. His athleticism isn't going to change and I doubt he hits a growth spurt. Any improvement has to be with his decision making, his shot (which I think they can take care of in the NBA), etc. It's tough. We need guys in the NBA for our program, so I hope he makes it.

I think that's pretty dead on.

He's the reason we're not terrible in many ways and the reason we aren't very good in other ways.

Like a Westbrook in his Triple Double days at the end of his OKC run

I think there was about 12 seconds left. Crazy play! My money is on him not wanting to get fouled.

I'm in on this a little but I think we are making the process of making the proper pass in an advantageous situation out to be a tad more difficult than it is. It's not nuclear physics and can be taught as it is by youth coaches across the country.

I get that it is not his natural instinct to pass. Also understand he may not be confident in who he is passing too. That said - make the right pass in the open court.

At first, I was amazed at how much separation he created from the two defenders covering him. What a quick initial move. Elated actually..

Then, mounting confusion as he dribbled away from open space & towards the hoop.

Finally, despair as he passed it backout, but to the wrong team.

Then, a bit of anger at how consequential the mistake could have been.

A level of relief when an SU player blocked it..

Post emotional thoughts were that he passed it away bc he second guessed his FT shooting.

But, there is no rational conclusion why he attacked the rim. Most PGs are dynamic thinkers & can quickly change course & know to dribble away and milk clock.

Fair take.

I would say he isn't meeting my expectations because, to what you alluded to, he hasn't re-calibrated to a real lead guard to raise the floor of the full team. He clearly is talented, but his decision making combined with his physical limitations equal some really uneven games.

He is producing. He is good. But he's not making the jump to what you'd want from someone who was, at least for me, thought to have AA potential.

So I think I agree with you, but I did expect him to be a better lead guard.

I'll say it this way, I've been a huge fan of Maliq since last year, but in no world did I think he would be the best player on this team, and he is, over Judah. Judah may be the most talented, but Maliq is the best.

Judah's in a weird spot. This draft is probably the least talented since 2013 and he isn't showing up on mocks as of late. His athleticism isn't going to change and I doubt he hits a growth spurt. Any improvement has to be with his decision making, his shot (which I think they can take care of in the NBA), etc. It's tough. We need guys in the NBA for our program, so I hope he makes it.

By season end you could argue this is Maliq and JJs team more than Judahs based on what we have seen.

I can see JJ having a monster jr year based on how he is trending. He just needs an experienced pg next to him. I think Judah needs to go G League and spend some development time there with some tough love. This isn’t me saying I don’t like him or want him back but I think the win win is he moves on to grow into a lead guard and we find a true PG or two to fill that position even if it’s Quadir who comes ready to be that guy

By season end you could argue this is Maliq and JJs team more than Judahs based on what we have seen.

I can see JJ having a monster jr year based on how he is trending. He just needs an experienced pg next to him.

Well said - think of how much Maliq, on the roll, with JJ and Chris Bell spacing on the wing could benefit from a pass-first veteran lead guard.

It's clear the style and pace Red wants to play does not fit Judah's skillset. Very intrigued to see what happens at PG in the offseason.

I think he thought he could make a play and got stuck. As for not passing to JT; it's like several of the teams where we've had only one player capable of creating their own shots. Think Tyus Battle. The game's on the line and all he hears is "someone has to carry the team on their backs." It's one-on-three and hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom