Orange jerseys are coming | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Orange jerseys are coming

Scooch said:
Having cool uniforms is certainly something that recruits might like. It's a little thing, but it's a small part of the package. Sadly, our uniforms are not cool. They suck. We should get cool uniforms. Have I solved this for everyone?

That's exactly what I've been saying.

jekelish said:
So, can people consider the fact that uniform taste is subjective? And just because you don't like the uniforms or don't think they're cool, doesn't mean recruits don't think they are nice, or cool? I'm not a huge fan of our uniforms. I prefer the Nassib era uniforms. And obviously, the McNabb era uniforms. But I also understand I'm not the person they're trying to appeal to, and the people they're trying to appeal to have been saying they like these uniforms (multiple current players, multiple '15 recruits - Pickard and Strickland, for instance). So what the hell does it matter if a bunch of guys in their 30's, 40's, or 50's don't like them?

Because those kids would like something better if offered something better.

It just blows my mind that we are the "Orange" and someone signed off on the uniform change when apparently the actual "Orange" uniform combo wasn't either "deemed needed" or "ready for last season".

Can someone please photoshop "Bowie" on to the back of one of those?

Last edited:
rrlbees said:
Because those kids would like something better if offered something better.

I also prefer better to not better when given the choice.

So, can people consider the fact that uniform taste is subjective? And just because you don't like the uniforms or don't think they're cool, doesn't mean recruits don't think they are nice, or cool?

I'm not a huge fan of our uniforms. I prefer the Nassib era uniforms. And obviously, the McNabb era uniforms. But I also understand I'm not the person they're trying to appeal to, and the people they're trying to appeal to have been saying they like these uniforms (multiple current players, multiple '15 recruits - Pickard and Strickland, for instance). So what the hell does it matter if a bunch of guys in their 30's, 40's, or 50's don't like them?

Because these players would like ANYTHING as long as it has a swoosh and is branded as "new".

Seriously.

So why not make something that lots of people actually like, across all demographics?

You're right. Next season we should make these our uniforms. BECAUSE TEEN BOYS LIKE THEM.

Shop-Abercrombie-Fitch-Elissa-Hoodies-Blue-Goods-Of-Every-Description-Are-Available-2423.jpg

Teen boys would have liked them about 10 years ago. For better or worse, fashion is constantly evolving.

I doubt they are ever going back to those mid 90's uniforms but I hope they do find something that looks good and has orange in it. I mostly want them to start winning again.

I just hope SU has white/orange and gray versions of the jersey for sale this year. Having only the blue available last year was a huge fail by Joey Snickers's crew.

Two comments. Stripes on the shoulders have appeared in a number of recent failed uni attempts. Personally I loathe the shoulder stripes with the heat of a thousand suns. Secondly - we have a freaking specific Pantone #. Use it!

Two cents is probably what Nike paid the designer. And two years to roll out an orange uni for the Orange--that's what two cents gets you. Get what you pay for!

I set it up and u knocked it out of the park

You mean the ones where they won a UNI award? C'mon. I don't love them. But now you're cherry picking. Two current players posted tweets today with freaking heart emoji and fire emoji (and I'll decipher for the non-twitter folk - that means they are "hot").

If the new uniforms were Hawaiian shirts the kids would declare them "hot."

Kids love new stuff.

If the University returned to the traditional SU Football uniform halfway through next season, the kids would love it.

And, as I have said many times to you in particular, I really don't care all that much what some 18 year old kid from NJ or GA or Florida thinks about new uniforms. We invite the young man to be part of our Program. Just as Michigan or Texas or Alabama does.

I have lived with this Program for over forty-five years. The uniforms are a symbol of our history and tradition - they are for longtime fans of the Program. And I don't want some snot-nosed kid telling me that my Program should wear the clown uniforms we have seen the past two years.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel.

And that's a shame because we're better than that. Listening to the media and reading articles mocking our unis last year, you would think we'd learn.

I remember when Maloney was finally forced to return to the traditional look.

I suspect it will happen again.

Kids love new stuff.

If the University returned to the traditional SU Football uniform halfway through next season, the kids would love it.

And, as I have said many times to you in particular, I really don't care all that much what some 18 year old kid from NJ or GA or Florida thinks about new uniforms. We invite the young man to be part of our Program. Just as Michigan or Texas or Alabama does.

I have lived with this Program for over forty-five years. The uniforms are a symbol of our history and tradition - they are for longtime fans of the Program. And I don't want some snot-nosed kid telling me that my Program should wear the clown uniforms we have seen the past two years.

I can respect that opinion. I just think it doesn't fly in this day and age. CFB is bigger business than it ever was - our donations and attendance are not as important as they once were with TV money floating around. Just "inviting a young man to be a part of the program" doesn't work on it's own anymore. Our competition is "inviting" them too - only with more bells and whistles. Uni's are apart of that equation.

And all due respect - the uniforms are not only for long term fans of the program. If they were, you'd get complimentary fan uni's provided upon entry to the dome. They are for the players who wear them and fans who follow the team. I defer to the players who actually give blood and sweat and put their physical well-being on the line (and possible long-lasting head trauma).

Finally. Kids do love new stuff. But to assume that they wouldn't care if it were Hawaiian - shows how little you care for the players who don the uni. Patronizing old fans alienate young athletes.

Kids love new stuff.

the simple compromise is to have an idiotic alternate jersey to pacify the old doofuses who think they're in touch with what makes young men tick. then the rest of the year you look like the traditional college football institution that we are. that's what the good schools not named oregon do. but instead every friggin jersey they put on is an alternate

the simple compromise is to have an idiotic alternate jersey to pacify the old doofuses who think they're in touch with what makes young men tick. then the rest of the year you look like the traditional college football institution that we are. that's what the good schools not named oregon do. but instead every friggin jersey they put on is an alternate

my suspicion is this will be the middle ground established by clearer heads when a new AD is hired. if not, i give up forever.

I can't argue with that idea.

Give the clown uniforms one game per year.

GoHamSU said:
This thread has 9 pages. LOL. Traditional uniforms ala McNabb days are gone. Get over it.

I think most people know that. But ugly shouldn't be the replacement.

I bet any number of people could however take the Nassib/McNabb era uniforms and jazz them up to be "modern" and they'd be considered great. Start with orange pants/orange helmets with blue home/white away jerseys. Have a one off that is all orange, all white, all blue, all gray or some combo.

Some of you are being difficult and holding on to some belief that people who think the more current uniforms are clown suits want the uniforms to be EXACTLY like we had in 2012 or McNabb era. There is a way to make those uniforms more today without tossing aside everything that used to be sharp and Syracuse Orangemen.

I can respect that opinion. I just think it doesn't fly in this day and age. CFB is bigger business than it ever was - our donations and attendance are not as important as they once were with TV money floating around. Just "inviting a young man to be a part of the program" doesn't work on it's own anymore. Our competition is "inviting" them too - only with more bells and whistles. Uni's are apart of that equation.

And all due respect - the uniforms are not only for long term fans of the program. If they were, you'd get complimentary fan uni's provided upon entry to the dome. They are for the players who wear them and fans who follow the team. I defer to the players who actually give blood and sweat and put their physical well-being on the line (and possible long-lasting head trauma).

Finally. Kids do love new stuff. But to assume that they wouldn't care if it were Hawaiian - shows how little you care for the players who don the uni. Patronizing old fans alienate young athletes.

How little I care about the players?

Huh?

I care about their lives, their health, their education.

I don't care about their preferred style.

Gosh, to suggest that they would "draw the line" at the "Hawaiian shirt" look is probably not accurate, when you consider the awful looks that they - according to you - find so hot.

This thread has 9 pages.

LOL.

Traditional uniforms ala McNabb days are gone. Get over it.

We could talk about how much the program sucked last year. That'd be more fun!

Other than the people at Nike, I haven't heard one person say they like the numbers. Whatever our disagreements might be over design, colors, etc., I think we can all agree that the numbers suck. They look ridiculous, should never have been approved and should be changed before next season.

Harumph! :D