OT: Doug Marrone Interim coach of Jags | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Doug Marrone Interim coach of Jags

Doug needs to continue his career as a position coach. Not because I don't think he is a good HC, but the guy needs a lower pressure job, he is an absolutely miserable guy when he is a head coach. nothing wrong with staying as a position coach, he will actually be happy and the guy should have plenty of cash after making about $6 mil or so at SU and $15 mil at Buffalo.

Now all that has to happen is for Coughlin to be named GM for the Jags and the plan will be complete, and maybe Shafer as DC.

Is it weird that Hackett was given the OC gig instead of Marrone in October? Has Doug become a lifetime position coach in the NFL at this point, maybe by his own request to a certain extent, not sure. Either way he will be looking for a new gig.

The way he left Buffalo was just bad business, probably no coincidence that he is working for the worst franchise in the NFL.

The way he left Buffalo and then what the Buffalo players said about him after he left will scare owners off. He could have lived with one of those two things and gotten a new job but both makes it tough.

The only way he gets another head coaching job in the NFL again is if there is an owner who is super cheap and doesn't want to spend a lot on a head coach and Doug is ok being one of the bottom paid head coaches for a while. That is the ONLY way. So, maybe when Marvin Lewis retires he will have a shot in Cincy...lol.

Doug needs to continue his career as a position coach. Not because I don't think he is a good HC, but the guy needs a lower pressure job, he is an absolutely miserable guy when he is a head coach. nothing wrong with staying as a position coach, he will actually be happy and the guy should have plenty of cash after making about $6 mil or so at SU and $15 mil at Buffalo.
He worked with a hack AD at SU and a hack GM at Buffalo .

indeed, I suppose those are mitigating circumstances. will be interesting to see if anyone gives him a shot for next season.

what jobs will be open this year??

jax = no doug
rams =no doug, not flashy enough for LA

then possibly...

buffalo = do I need to??
jets = Mehta has more articles already written
Chicago = cant see it
nawlins = Payton to LA and this job opens?? I suppose he might be looked at.

the over/under on interviews for him is 1.

you see kids, its not good to be a QUITTER.

The definition of "quit" I think needs to be refined a bit.

Under your definition, Nick Saban quit Michigan State, LSU and the Miami Dolphins.

Nearly every great coach has "quit" a job.

Reactions: CIL
The way he left Buffalo and then what the Buffalo players said about him after he left will scare owners off. He could have lived with one of those two things and gotten a new job but both makes it tough.

The only way he gets another head coaching job in the NFL again is if there is an owner who is super cheap and doesn't want to spend a lot on a head coach and Doug is ok being one of the bottom paid head coaches for a while. That is the ONLY way. So, maybe when Marvin Lewis retires he will have a shot in Cincy...lol.

I agree, I always thought it was telling that when Doug was getting absolutely eviscerated after he quit and tried to get the Jets job, no former Bills players and very very few, if any, former SU players, came to his defense. I think he is a good coach and I really appreciate what he did to get us out of Gerg hell, but his reputation is bad with NFL execs. He is a good coach but I think they view him as someone who is not worth the headaches.

The definition of "quit" I think needs to be refined a bit.

Under your definition, Nick Saban quit Michigan State, LSU and the Miami Dolphins.

Nearly every great coach has "quit" a job.
saban does not fit my definition.

only Marrone does.

saban transferred or traded jobs, whatever.

marrone quit on his team, coaches and owners...and expected to be lovingly welcomed back into the league by the very same people who just witnessed that.

only Marrone does.

marrone quit on his team, coaches and owners...and expected to be lovingly welcomed back into the league by the very same people who just witnessed that.
And now he is an interim head coach. go figure.

He needs to win last two for the bills to have any chance, Ravens need to lose both too.. SAINT DOUG!!!!

Duran quit with more dignity than Marrone.

Indeed. It was super-hard for someone so perfect as Marrone to work under those conditions. May his next job match his dreams entirely so we can truly see his perfection (unless it's too blinding).

And now he is an interim head coach. go figure.
and on jan 2 Khan will get to do what 31 other owners want to do...tell marrone hes fired.

Indeed. It was super-hard for someone so perfect as Marrone to work under those conditions. May his next job match his dreams entirely so we can truly see his perfection (unless it's too blinding).
I believe he has his next job now . Nice to see you and the rest of the haters spewing hate during the holiday season.

The Jags have some decent talent and they play in the worst division of the NFL as well, also from my view it looks like the owner will give you time to try and win. Smaller media market, away from bright lights. To me it looks like a decent job if you like those things.

Be interesting to see who they hire.

only Marrone does.

Saban quit on his Michigan State team and his LSU team and in the middle of the season, on his Miami team.

Marrone entered into a very specific employment contract with Ralph Wilson. At the time he took the job with the Bills, both parties were mindful of Marrone's desire to work for the man who hired him and both parties were mindful of Mr. Wilson's age.

That is why the contract afforded Marrone the right to opt out if Mr. Wilson were to pass away. It was the same kind of ownership-based contract that Bill Parcells executed with Wayne Huzienga of the Miami Dolphins.

Marrone took lessons from Parcells and Belichick - you don't work for an owner who did not hire you.

Belichick "quit" on the Jets and Parcells "quit" on every team that hired him.

I was really angry that Marrone left Syracuse University. I was angry because I thought he did a great job and that he would continue to do a great job for years and years.

I still harbor some negative feelings about him. But I am also grateful that in two years he had us winning a bowl game against K-State and gave us a very memorable 2012 season.

So, I wish him the best.

Last edited:
Didn't former poster fan fan club club go to work for the Jags?

The Jags have some decent talent and they play in the worst division of the NFL as well, also from my view it looks like the owner will give you time to try and win. Smaller media market, away from bright lights. To me it looks like a decent job if you like those things.

Be interesting to see who they hire.

Saban quite on his Michigan State team and his LSU team and in the middle of the season, on his Miami team.

Marrone entered into a very specific employment contract with Ralph Wilson. At the time he took the job with the Bills, both parties were mindful of Marrone's desire to work for the man who hired him and both parties were mindful of Mr. Wilson's age.

That is why the contract afforded Marrone the right to opt out if Mr. Wilson were to pass away. It was the same kind of ownership-based contract that Bill Parcells executed with Wayne Huzienga of the Miami Dolphins.

Marrone took lessons from Parcells and Belichick - you don't work for an owner who did not hire you.

Belichick "quit" on the Jets and Parcells "quit" on every team that hired him.

I was really angry that Marrone left Syracuse University. I was angry because I thought he did a great job and that he would continue to do a great job for years and years.

I still harbor some negative feelings about him. But I am also grateful that in two years he had us winning a bowl game against K-State and gave us a very memorable 2012 season.

So, I wish him the best.
In 4 years he didn't recruit a decent d-1 qb. This not the track record for long term success. He was also lucky we were in the Big East and not the ACC