OT: Doug Marrone Interim coach of Jags | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Doug Marrone Interim coach of Jags

He worked with a hack AD at SU and a hack GM at Buffalo .
So lets take a job at Jacksonville then?

Duh they ALWAYS get the 1st Pick in the Draft!!!!

Marrone took lessons from Parcells and Belichick - you don't work for an owner who did not hire you.
that's a pretty goofy lesson. how about work for an owner who didn't hire you if that owner is a good owner and no other owner wants to hire you?

that's a pretty goofy lesson. how about work for an owner who didn't hire you if that owner is a good owner and no other owner wants to hire you?

hey you think Bills will can rex at 9-7?

He got paid just as much to NOT work for that owner who didn't hire him.

I believe he has his next job now . Nice to see you and the rest of the haters spewing hate during the holiday season.

Why was that hate, lol? Sarcasm? Yep.

He quit two jobs because of management above him. Facts. I hope he was able to learn a lot about himself and what it means to perform in less than perfect conditions.

Goofy lesson?

Gosh, I don't know about that.

Parcells and Belichick are two of the smartest football people in the history of the game.

After what happened to him in NE, Parcells vowed never to work for an owner who did not hire him.

Belichick essentially followed the same example when he refused to become the head coach of the Jets - following Parcells' resignation.

And you have to be honest here, what the heck did Doug Marrone know about Pegula when the Bills were sold? How could he know at that point what kind of owner he would be. None of us knows at this point what kind of owner Pegula is or how he treats his coaches. It sounds like he isn't going to be all that patient with Ryan and may have had a hand in getting rid of Ryan's OC.

I am pretty sure that Marrone became close to Parcells and I have little doubt that Parcells told him of his experience with an owner - Kraft - a very good owner - who did not hire him.

So, I understand why Marrone did what he did - I can't call it "goofy" and I can't call him a quitter.

From what it sounds like FHCDM was not a good fit at the college level. We've got our guy and look to be headed in the right direction.

Doug is still a Cuse guy and roots for the school. Good luck to him. Hope he gets a chance in Jacksonville.

If Marrone magically gets the offense to do something and the Jax D does ok, at 1-1, he could become a legitimate HC candidate in the league. For real.

Goofy lesson?

Parcells and Belichick are two of the smartest football people in the history of the game.

After what happened to him in NE, Parcells vowed never to work for an owner who did not hire him.

So, I understand why Marrone did what he did - I can't call it "goofy" and I can't call him a quitter.

Parcells also had the luxury of having proven himself with the NYG well before the Patriots.

When you get a Super Bowl ring, you are looked at far differently. Far. Differently.

For Marrone to act or think like Parcells, if true, was blunder city career wise as it has played out thus far.

Goofy lesson?

Belichick essentially followed the same example when he refused to become the head coach of the Jets - following Parcells' resignation.

And you have to be honest here, what the heck did Doug Marrone know about Pegula when the Bills were sold? How could he know at that point what kind of owner he would be. None of us knows at this point what kind of owner Pegula is or how he treats his coaches. It sounds like he isn't going to be all that patient with Ryan and may have had a hand in getting rid of Ryan's OC.

I am pretty sure that Marrone became close to Parcells and I have little doubt that Parcells told him of his experience with an owner - Kraft - a very good owner - who did not hire him.

Really? Isn't it more likely that Doug thought he was going to get the Jets job, a job he would have liked a lot more than Buffalo and also get paid by the Bills to coach the Jets along with his Jets pay. It would have been a great move if Doug could have interviewed better.

Oh boy not another Marrone thread...get over it boys he's in his element where he can coach and not recruit.

DFB is a master recruiter and aren't we are getting our best class in 15 years? Start winning and it's only going to get better!

Move on people...nothing to see here...

Really? Isn't it more likely that Doug thought he was going to get the Jets job, a job he would have liked a lot more than Buffalo and also get paid by the Bills to coach the Jets along with his Jets pay. It would have been a great move if Doug could have interviewed better.

Yeah that was the gist of the whole deal, he took a calculated risk for more $$ and a job he coveted more than the one he had, everything else is hindsight. It backfired on him big time, leaving him where he is today. Pretty cut and dry really.

Oh boy not another Marrone thread...get over it boys he's in his element where he can coach and not recruit.

DFB is a master recruiter and aren't we are getting our best class in 15 years? Start winning and it's only going to get better!

Move on people...nothing to see here...

Nothing to see here?

Thanks, I feel so much better now, who cares? Saint Doug was named interim HC of the Jags, people will discuss as it is news and relevant. The majority of the discussion is about his career post Syracuse anyway.

I don't disagree with your outlook on Dino but he was 4-8 and pretty much stunk other than the VT gam and was rumored to be dipping his toe back into the coaching searches so I will temper my enthusiasm long term. Would rather discuss Marrone than uniforms, concussion protocol, Dungey's future, pace of play for the offense, Dino staying or leaving, and how good we will be in 3 years, transfers who are leaving Syracuse, where shafer will wind up.

Last edited:
Parcells also had the luxury of having proven himself with the NYG well before the Patriots.

When you get a Super Bowl ring, you are looked at far differently. Far. Differently.

For Marrone to act or think like Parcells, if true, was blunder city career wise as it has played out thus far.
Dan bylsma is willing to work for the Pegulas but marrone prefers Wilson and Brandon and offensive line coaching? It was just a bad bet that he had a job lined up

Yeah that was the gist of the whole deal, he took a calculated risk for more $$ and a job he coveted more than the one he had, everything else is hindsight. It backfired on him big time, leaving him where he is today. Pretty cut and dry really.

He took it knowing worse case was he had a $4M parachute and would have to go to plan b through z.

It didn't work out best for either party.

Nothing to see here?

Thanks, I feel so much better now, who cares? Saint Doug was named interim HC of the Jags, people will discuss as it is news and relevant. The majority of the discussion is about his career post Syracuse anyway.

I don't disagree with your outlook on Dino but he was 4-8 and pretty much stunk other than the VT gam and was rumored to be dipping his toe back into the coaching searches so I will temper my enthusiasm long term. Would rather discuss Marrone than uniforms, concussion protocol, Dungey's future, pace of play for the offense, Dino staying or leaving, and how good we will be in 3 years, transfers who are leaving Syracuse, where shafer will wind up.

For real?

Sad!

He took it knowing worse case was he had a $4M parachute and would have to go to plan b through z.

It didn't work out best for either party.

Agreed. I hope Doug doesn't go back to being a HC, I don't think he enjoys it. OC/ O Line coach. best thing for him is to be retained by Jags new HC.

Goofy lesson?

Only problem with all that is that Marrone is not Parcells or Belichick.