OT: Morgantown Music? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Morgantown Music?

on some campuses they would force them to stop using the song because of the fan language being used..

Hopefully our fans do this at (checks notes) Yankee Stadium.

The New Jersey Devils used Rock & Roll Part 2 as their goal song for ages, along with the typical “you s u c k” chant by the fans. When the new ownership group bought the team in 2016, they wanted a more family friendly atmosphere - so they dumped that goal song.

One of the few fun things during the 2016 season was seeing how quickly fans could jam “you s u c k” into whatever goal song they were trying out that week, by the end of the year the team gave up and finally stuck with a song even though “you s u c k” had already been incorporated into it by the fans.

I think the lesson is persistence, Syracuse fans give up way too easily.

Found myself singing this multiple times in the final minutes of their loss against Wake forest…

Meanwhile in Syracuse they would stop playing that song.
And replace it with the cheerleaders leading a “Let’s”. “Go”. “S”. “U”. chant where each side of the building chants a different letter. How nice!

They sing it a little differently in West Virginia:
SU 'higher ups' stopped the SUMB from playing the 'hey' song when I was a student in 2001, bc we used to chant during the drum beat portion of said awesome diddy, 'f..k em up f..k em up go su, we're gonna kick the sh.t out of you' thanks SU. The band playing that song was a fixture at the Dome since I was a little kid, the whole place rocked with it after big moments. BS

SU 'higher ups' stopped the SUMB from playing the 'hey' song when I was a student in 2001, bc we used to chant during the drum beat portion of said awesome diddy, 'f..k em up f..k em up go su, we're gonna kick the sh.t out of you' thanks SU. The band playing that song was a fixture at the Dome since I was a little kid, the whole place rocked with it after big moments. BS
You could say "thanks SU" or you could say "thanks students." I don't blame the university for wanting things to be family friendly. Before they stopped playing it, they tried to get people to chant something different, but that was ignored.

You could say "thanks SU" or you could say "thanks students." I don't blame the university for wanting things to be family friendly. Before they stopped playing it, they tried to get people to chant something different, but that was ignored.
Yeah, that is true too. Those efforts sadly were made in vain.

I still say it’s BS. Unless you’re sitting right next to the students you can’t tell what they’re saying.

I still say it’s BS. Unless you’re sitting right next to the students you can’t tell what they’re saying.
It is BS. I do agree things should be fan friendly no doubt. But you are correct. 90% of the Dome couldn't decipher anything other than some garbled chant during the drum beats between verses. Not a lot of traditional band songs at all anymore, I miss that. Now we have non stop DJ music, fake decibel meters, and stupid car races on the scoreboard during the endless tv timeouts. Shrugs shoulders

It is BS. I do agree things should be fan friendly no doubt. But you are correct. 90% of the Dome couldn't decipher anything other than some garbled chant during the drum beats between verses. Not a lot of traditional band songs at all anymore, I miss that. Now we have non stop DJ music, fake decibel meters, and stupid car races on the scoreboard during the endless tv timeouts. Shrugs shoulders
College sports have always been more popular around here than minor league pro sports, yet they’re copying the presentation of minor league pro sports.

Make it make sense.

I’m actually pretty positive they have played the hey song on rare occasions here and there over the last few years when the team has had something to celebrate. It’s pretty stupid to have a lifetime ban. All the college students that were just being stupid when this happened graduated and probably have kids if their own in college now.

There really should be a petition by otto’s army to bring it back. They can make a case that there is more organization and engagement to mitigate the likelihood of something like that happening again. Worst case just don’t play it again the rest of the season.

Last edited:
I’m actually pretty positive they have played the hey song on rare occasions here and there over the last few years when the team has had something to celebrate. It’s pretty stupid to have a lifetime ban. All the college students that were just being stupid when this happened graduated and probably have kids if their own in college now.

There really should be a petition by otto’s army to bring it back. They can make a case that there is more organization and engagement to mitigate the likelihood of something like that happening again. Worst case just don’t play it again the rest of the season.
At this point I think it’s pretty much not played anywhere because of the info that became known about the performer of the song.

College sports have always been more popular around here than minor league pro sports, yet they’re copying the presentation of minor league pro sports.

Make it make sense.
Yep. Very 'gimmicky' and not at all in line with the traditional college feel. No making it make sense :(

It’s worth looking up what’s gone on in Gary Glitter’s life since 2001. While I didn’t get into earlier, there were “additional reasons” the NJ Devils dropped Rock & Roll Part 2 as their goal song when they did in 2016.

As much fun as that was in the early 2000’s - and I was at the East Regional in 2003 in Albany, it was awesome - bringing back “the hey song” just isn’t going to happen. And attempting it is not going to end well.

I’m all for perseverance in making a tradition - but discretion is also the better part of valor. In this case, discretion says not to try bringing back the hey song.

Yeah, you know you're right, I do recall hearing it maybe a few times in the last 20 yrs. I recall once or twice it being at a horrible time, like a timeout after we went down 3 tds, or in hoops the other team coming off a 12-0 run lol. Otto's Army could definitely take the lead here. We never had any kind of organization like that back then.

It’s worth looking up what’s gone on in Gary Glitter’s life since 2001. While I didn’t get into earlier, there were “additional reasons” the NJ Devils dropped Rock & Roll Part 2 as their goal song when they did in 2016.

As much fun as that was in the early 2000’s - and I was at the East Regional in 2003 in Albany, it was awesome - bringing back “the hey song” just isn’t going to happen. And attempting it is not going to end well.

I’m all for perseverance in making a tradition - but discretion is also the better part of valor. In this case, discretion says not to try bringing back the hey song.
Umm, yikes. I had literally no idea about any of Glitter's atrocities till I just googled him after reading your post. Im not a huge music consumer outside of my trucks radio. Yeeeeah, knowing what he did, that song ain't coming back. He's a lot worse than pretty sickening my gosh. Ugh, no words

Umm, yikes. I had literally no idea about any of Glitter's atrocities till I just googled him after reading your post. Im not a huge music consumer outside of my trucks radio. Yeeeeah, knowing what he did, that song ain't coming back. He's a lot worse than pretty sickening my gosh. Ugh, no words
So we’re going to ban a musical number because we canceled the composer? What? That’s cutting off our nose to spite our face. Tell me I’m misinterpreting. I couldn’t care less who wrote it!

So we’re going to ban a musical number because we canceled the composer? What? That’s cutting off our nose to spite our face. Tell me I’m misinterpreting. I couldn’t care less who wrote it!

You’re certainly entitled to that opinion. I don’t entirely disagree - but that doesn’t change the fact it’s not coming back, and efforts to bring it back at Syracuse will end poorly for those who attempt it.

While you might disagree with that, dying on a hill to defend the right to play a Gary Glitter song in the Dome seems kinda pointless to me. (And dying on the hill is the only possible outcome here, since the likelihood of the hey song coming back is precisely 0% probability).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom