OT: What are your five favorite American cities? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are your five favorite American cities?

Skaneateles, great call. That place is unreal in summer. Very nice little town, has that "old school" feel to it. Cazenovia is also very similar.

NYC
Seattle
Louisville
Philly
Pittsburgh

On a smaller scale:
Saratoga
Sarasota
Aspen
Santa Barbara

1. Los Angeles/Santa Monica. Just moved to Los Feliz in August. Loving (LOVING) the weather, after 20+ years in NYC. The weather is a different kind of perfect every day.
2. NYC. I don't want to go back, but it was great for a while. Museums, galleries, shopping, clubs, restaurants, Central Park, Bryant Park...
3. San Diego. More beautiful than LA. My sister currently lives there, so I can just drive down to visit. But, downtown just 'isn't enough' after having lived in NYC.
4. Miami/South Beach? If not for the humidity and palmetto bugs, I probably would have moved there before LA.
5. Boston? Visited quite a few times, usually with relatives from New Hampshire. Couldn't live there, but it has Fenway...

If I could live anywhere, though... Rio de Janeiro.

I used to live VERY close to Vermont/Franklin when I was at USC. Cool!

Gotta say my five favorite are in our 50th state :)

Princeville
Lahaina
Kaanapali
Lihue
Poipu

Lighthearted off-season thread that should be fun to discuss...

What are your five favorite cities in America, and why?

Love this kind of talk:

1 - San Francisco. My takeaway has always been that I don't know why anyone with the money to live there nicely wouldn't. Gorgeous. Great food. Culture. All four sports if you include San Jose. As cities go, fantastically liveable.

2 - Washington. History is incredible and it offers everything you could want in a metro area

3 - New Orleans. Wife is from there so have taken enough trips that I'm past the nonsense but still like it a ton. Great food. Easily navigated. Interesting history.

4 - New York. Could never live there but I love going for work or fun and running with it for a couple days at a time.

5 - Can't decide between Toronto, Montreal and Chicago.

Bottom five:
1-LA
2-LA
3-LA
4-LA
5-Miami

I can only speak to the cities I have visited.

1. San Francisco
2. NYC
3. Seattle
4. Montreal
5. Chicago
5a. Charleston

Not sure I have any to add that haven't been mentioned, but

San Diego
Key West
Vegas
Portland ME
NY

Honorable mention: Burlington VT, DC, Cape May

1. Charleston SC. and its not even close.
2. Boston Ma.
3. Chicago Il.
4. New York City Ny
5. Tampa Bay Fl

Since we're kind of getting off city's, the best destination in the USA is Martha's Vineyard IMO. Malibu a close 2nd.

Lived on Martha's Vineyard for 2 consecutive summers. Worked as a server/bartender/beach guard at the West Chop Club in Vineyard Haven. Best two summers of my life!

Lived on Martha's Vineyard for 2 consecutive summers. Worked as a server/bartender/beach guard at the West Chop Club in Vineyard Haven. Best two summers of my life!
I freaking love that place, just jump into the bay and go claming! I swear I would pull out 4 inch wide clams. The clay cliffs at Gayhead Island are awesome and there's a nude beach at the end of them lol. Nancy's might be the first place I've spent over 20 dollars on a meal served on a paper plate. Can't go wrong with fresh seafood though.

I freaking love that place, just jump into the bay and go claming! I swear I would pull out 4 inch wide clams. The clay cliffs at Gayhead Island are awesome and there's a nude beach at the end of them lol. Nancy's might be the first place I've spent over 20 dollars on a meal served on a paper plate. Can't go wrong with fresh seafood though.

Oh my!! You're bringing back some very fond memories bro. The club I worked for had a private beach in Gayhead. Those cliffs are one of the most beautiful things I have seen in this world (and i live in Alaska). I worked there as a beach guard, which meant that I basically sat in a beach chair all day with my feet in the waves, and made sure only members came to the beach (I never checked). Tough job. Spent a lot of nights partying in Oak Bluffs and Hagerstown. One of my favorite events of the summer was the monster shark derby...awesome time. I miss the fresh seafood...especially the lobster rolls.

I gotta make it back there soon.

NYC, Boston, Portland Maine, Nashville, SF

Alexandria, VA (no need to go to DC except for sports and theatre)
NYC
Newport, RI
San Francisco
And Miami over Cuse in a squeaker.

Oh my!! You're bringing back some very fond memories bro. The club I worked for had a private beach in Gayhead. Those cliffs are one of the most beautiful things I have seen in this world (and i live in Alaska). I worked there as a beach guard, which meant that I basically sat in a beach chair all day with my feet in the waves, and made sure only members came to the beach (I never checked). Tough job. Spent a lot of nights partying in Oak Bluffs and Hagerstown. One of my favorite events of the summer was the monster shark derby...awesome time. I miss the fresh seafood...especially the lobster rolls.

I gotta make it back there soon.
One year we were there during 4th of July , these guys show up at the beach we were at (like 30 of them) they start digging this trench from the top of the beach down to the ocean. Then they take these plastic tarps and place them in the trench they dug. Finally we figure out what they are doing obviously making a water slide lol. They get these garbage cans with holes in them placed at the top of the slide and have runners getting water from the ocean and bringing it up top. These islanders made a freaking water slide into the ocean! Freaking Geniuses!

1. Charleston SC. and its not even close.
2. Boston Ma.
3. Chicago Il.
4. New York City Ny
5. Tampa Bay Fl

Oh Charleston for sure. Good call! Should've gone in my smaller city category.

San Diego
My idea of perfect weather just about year round! If I could find a good enough job I would move my family there in a heartbeat and I don't think my wife would resist.

Koloa
Really anywhere on the island of Kauai. Tropical weather without the constant hustle and bustle of Oahu.

New York
Always something to do. I could deal with the negatives just to be in the middle of it all. (Interesting how when in the tropics I don't want hustle and bustle, but while in the "beautiful" weather of New York I want the hustle and bustle!)

New Orleans
I have only been there once but loved every minute of it.

Boston
I love the mix of history and modern day fun.

I loved Syracuse, but hated the winters.

Lived in Rochester and Syracuse my entire life, but I have an opportunity to travel a little bit for my summer job. My choices are:

Boston
Ann Arbor
DC
Baltimore

I'm leaning towards Boston because I have family there and I've always thought I'd end up in Boston or Chicago when I move into the real world.

Thoughts on these cities?

Love this kind of talk:

1 - San Francisco. My takeaway has always been that I don't know why anyone with the money to live there nicely wouldn't. Gorgeous. Great food. Culture. All four sports if you include San Jose. As cities go, fantastically liveable.

2 - Washington. History is incredible and it offers everything you could want in a metro area

3 - New Orleans. Wife is from there so have taken enough trips that I'm past the nonsense but still like it a ton. Great food. Easily navigated. Interesting history.

4 - New York. Could never live there but I love going for work or fun and running with it for a couple days at a time.

5 - Can't decide between Toronto, Montreal and Chicago.

Bottom five:
1-LA
2-LA
3-LA
4-LA
5-Miami

Having lived in both I concur. Much prefer the good public transportation cities. Fun to visit LA/Miami...absolutely!

5. Oneonta. I spent four great years here and pretty much wherever I look there's a distinct and happy memory. Other than my hometown, I don't know that I've ever felt so fully immersed in one place. Definitely a special little town.

SUCO or Hartwick?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom