Our next coach | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Our next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chip said:
I don't even know where to start with this one. I think you should clarify all of it.

It might be easier if you clarify what they have done to date than me list all they haven't done to date.

i have drawn a line in the sand about points. my brain can't handle any more stuff to remember. buy this and that now and get 2x your powerpoints redeemable at points plus on this day before 8:20 what? i feel like i'm reading board game instructions everyplace i spend a dollar and i hate board games. i buy a loaf of bread and i get a ticker tape parade with markers and surveys and monopoly and NO JUST GIVE ME THE BREAD

this is a pointless off season rant

To be honest I never checked if my priority points were even ever right. I figure they probably aren't since the people calculating them were probably in diapers when I started and the monks haven't translated the stone tablet transciptions of my first few years yet.

It might be easier if you clarify what they have done to date than me list all they haven't done to date.

The Chancellor hired Babers (who brings a radical approach suited to our home field) and one of the brightest most established guys at ESPN to run the operations and jumps us to the front of the line with other ACC ADs and higher ups who've done business with him before. Then the AD who has been here a few months blew up the stupid ticket structure at the Dome so it makes sense for everyone involved while giving the coach more support staff and allowing for a lot of the old ways to be discontinued.

Are we in Swish / pony ride space here?

The Chancellor hired Babers (who brings a radical approach suited to our home field) and one of the brightest most established guys at ESPN to run the operations and jumps us to the front of the line with other ACC ADs and higher ups who've done business with him before. Then the AD who has been here a few months blew up the stupid ticket structure at the Dome so it makes sense for everyone involved while giving the coach more support staff and allowing for a lot of the old ways to be discontinued.

Are we in Swish / pony ride space here?

Those were some great days, battling with Swish and his need for pony rides, miss those days

This thread is silly. My goodness, have some perspective please.

First, Babers went 4-8 last year. A one game improvement over his predecessor. I'm a Dino fan and think he will do fine here, but let's be realistic. Hiring a 4-8 coach from a school isn't exactly endearing to a potential fan base. Could you imagine this board of Dino carried a 4-8 record a bowling green?

Secondly, Althletic Departments get coach solicitations all the time. Especially if they hire a firm. It goes like this:

Firm: "What kind of coach do you want?"
Hiring AD: "Offensive Minded with recruiting ties to X, Y, Z."
Firm: "Great."

The firm might make 20-30 calls. It doesn't mean that school has any interest in the coaches being contacted. The few coaches that say they might have interest are then put in front of the hiring AD and it gets whittled down that way.

Third, IF, and that's a huge IF, Babers leaves we will be fine. Like I said, I think he's a good coach but there are potentially 8-10 guys out there that can run a prolific offense and recruit this area well. If Dino's buyout is as large as reported (10MM plus), we can dump that money into a great staff and more.

We are in solid hands with a great AD and supportive chancellor.

If Dino's buyout is as large as reported (10MM plus), we can dump that money into a great staff and more.

We are in solid hands with a great AD and supportive chancellor.

You're assuming that SU will dump all that money back into the football program.

There are quite a few buildings that need new roofs, and the faculty lounge could use a new TV. :rolleyes:

You're assuming that SU will dump all that money back into the football program.

There are quite a few buildings that need new roofs, and the faculty lounge could use a new TV. :rolleyes:

Ha. Take 3MM and give it to the staff. 7 goes to everything else. Problems solved!

JeremyCuse isn't the OP who was pure trolling. I believe he is telling it straight and that some schools have contacted SU.
I also think no school that is a real threat is going to pursue Dino as nothing more than a plan C or D.
The Gerg years really did a damage to our FB attendance. We need to just get back to having a solid 40k per game and I think the Dino Babers of the world would be fine. I do believe if we have success he would bolt. Let's wait for the success to happen first.
Dino inherited a not strong roster. We had little upperclassmen depth and we had 0 NFL draft picks in our 2 deep. Dino brought in our only draft pick via 5th year transfer.

I'm sure there are schools that have reached out. I wouldn't want a coach that doesn't get some interest even as a 4th or 5th option every single year because that means we probably have a coach that isn't very good.

The talk about him leaving as being in any basis of reality this year is nonsense.

Exactly what I was thinking. This thread may be the number one reason he may leave.

No doubt.

"Coach Babers, why did you leave Syracuse for (insert bigger name P5 school here)?"

"Well, I really loved it at Syracuse, and they paid me well, and the team was really buying in to what we were trying to build towards.
But then - I read a really stupid thread on Syracusefan.com about 'Our next coach', and I knew that I had to move on."

I'm sure this is EXACTLY what is going to happen. :rolleyes:

Bayside44 said:
The Chancellor hired Babers (who brings a radical approach suited to our home field) and one of the brightest most established guys at ESPN to run the operations and jumps us to the front of the line with other ACC ADs and higher ups who've done business with him before. Then the AD who has been here a few months blew up the stupid ticket structure at the Dome so it makes sense for everyone involved while giving the coach more support staff and allowing for a lot of the old ways to be discontinued. Are we in Swish / pony ride space here?

Ya, you're right. This football program is a well oiled machine. It should be the model for all other P5 programs. We're on our third AD in two years. One got us in the NCAA doghouse the other left in under a year to Minne fricking sota. They blew up the ticket structure 10 years after they should have. Now the one thing they have going for the is Babers and apparently they aren't giving him the tools they promised and he's already looking to jump ship. If he bolts this program is officially on the fritz.

You can paint a pretty picture if you want but the facts and results say this is among the worst programs in the country for 15 years and counting.

Can you imagine if we won 7 games this year and won a bowl game!
2236967151_d8d12336f9.jpg

Ya, you're right. This football program is a well oiled machine. It should be the model for all other P5 programs. We're on our third AD in two years. One got us in the NCAA doghouse the other left in under a year to Minne fricking sota. They blew up the ticket structure 10 years after they should have. Now the one thing they have going for the is Babers and apparently they aren't giving him the tools they promised and he's already looking to jump ship. If he bolts this program is officially on the fritz.

You can paint a pretty picture if you want but the facts and results say this is among the worst programs in the country for 15 years and counting.

upload_2016-12-2_15-35-48.png

1. There is no denying that we've been mediocre to bad for 15 years.
2. The reasons are many. We all know them.
3. The coach and the AD have been here for 1 year. And they've fixed some of what's been ailing the program.
4. None of those things are things you tweak and they get better immediately.
5. "Changing things too late" is a dumb thing to say. How could Wildhack fix it before arriving? Time machine?
6. There have been many things that Babers has wanted and gotten. There are few things that he's waiting on.
7. You can say - "He's going to leave! We are failing to give him what he wants! Again!" Or you can say "Maybe he's using the tools available (job interest) to apply pressure to the places where it's needed to get what he wants."
8. You can make the argument that this kind of pushing is very good for our program. Marrone tried and then quit. But with Wildhack, ACC $, and some new ppl on the BOT? Who knows what that pushing can do?

TheCusian said:
1. There is no denying that we've been mediocre to bad for 15 years. 2. The reasons are many. We all know them. 3. The coach and the AD have been here for 1 year. And they've fixed some of what's been ailing the program. 4. None of those things are things you tweak and they get better immediately. 5. "Changing things too late" is a dumb thing to say. How could Wildhack fix it before arriving? Time machine? 6. There have been many things that Babers has wanted and gotten. There are few things that he's waiting on. 7. You can say - "He's going to leave! We are failing to give him what he wants! Again!" Or you can say "Maybe he's using the tools available (job interest) to apply pressure to the places where it's needed to get what he wants." 8. You can make the argument that this kind of pushing is very good for our program. Marrone tried and then quit. But with Wildhack, ACC $, and some new ppl on the BOT? Who knows what that pushing can do?

If you go to the beginning of the tread I said I like the current leadership and think they may be able to right the ship. The SU program has been run into the ground by poor choices by its leadership. If Babers leaves that's evidence that nothing has changed but the faces. I hope that's not the case but I'm not renewing until I know Babers is coming back.

I just want this football team I love to be decent again. Same as you guys. If Babers leaves I'll be disappointed to say the least.
We'd all be disappointed if he left...but the scorched earth BS is completely unnecessary.

We have a brand spanking new IPF and a proposal for Dome renovations. We also (finally) have adults running the University and the Athletic Department. Until proven otherwise, I trust the Chancellor and the AD to do what's best for the University and the Athletic Department.

I mean people need to stop with the expect the worse crap. Babers isn't leaving. Let's wait till we win some games.
We are having the best recruiting class in 10 years.

RMH44 said:
We'd all be disappointed if he left...but the scorched earth BS is completely unnecessary. We also (finally) have adults running the University and the Athletic Department. Until proven otherwise,

Scorched earth is what has been done to the football program by the previous 2 chancellors and 3 AD's. If you want to have blind faith in the new admin because they are swell guys so be it. I'll have faith if they give DB what he needs to be successful here and he stays for another year.
Personnel that's what it will take for me to renew my season tickets.

It's all leverage, IMO. Good coaches know the game and play the game. It would be better leverage had they won another game or two. But the calls and requests to talk to him will work.

Put me now officially in the camp he's staying.

Money certainty talks but I believe this is over (I'll still feel better for sure when Baylor & Oregon announce - the only 2 P5s that can afford DFB still on the board)...like I said before this will all play out in the next week or two.

I also liken it to how much we like recruits to have multiple P5 offers. Even given the angst, nice to finally have a HC that other universities want even after a 4-8 record.

Also if we start to see new kids committing, that's another sign this is over.

Put me now officially in the camp he's staying.

Money certainty talks but I believe this is over (I'll still feel better for sure when Baylor & Oregon announce - the only 2 P5s that can afford DFB still on the board)...like I said before this will all play out in the next week or two.

I also liken it to how much we like recruits to have multiple P5 offers. Even given the angst, nice to finally have a HC that other universities want even after a 4-8 record.

Also if we start to see new kids committing, that's another sign this is over.
Let's NOT do this again next year, shall we? Are you with me Syracuse fans???

Let's NOT do this again next year, shall we? Are you with me Syracuse fans???

This is the first time SUAD is dealing with other universities wanting to inquire of and talk to our coach. I reported about Baylor inquiring earlier and Jeremycuse just confirmed there were more than just Baylor last night. He is highly valued outside of CNY yet may be vastly undervalued here by some. As he continues to win, he will be wanted even more so this will occur every year. As The Cusian stated, if he's smart he's using this as leverage to get the final 2-3 things he was promised.

As I've said before too, SUAD will need to pony up much more at the end of year 3 to keep him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors