Outdoor Stadium | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Outdoor Stadium

We have a multi purpose facility that we are in the midst of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on. My guess is that you haven't been in it recently.

It is used by 3 sports and 5 teams.

What do you advocate? Razing the dome, and building an outdoor stadium in its place?

And then building a facility for the basketball teams?

And then building another facility for the lacrosse teams?

How many hundreds of millions of dollars would this cost? Where would all this money come from? Do you think folks that have supplied the hundreds of millions to update the dome would be happy about being asked to supply hundreds of millions more because of your brainstorm?

All of this just to lower our injury rate for one sport? When many other peer schools also still play football on artificial turf?

I don't understand how your brain works and why you think this could possibly make sense.
Putting words and ideas in my mouth that I never stated nor implied. I see how your mind works. Well OK, in just a few minutes i got enough feedback to get the information I was looking for. Thanks for responding everyone. I would have preferred civility but should have expected this.

Putting words and ideas in my mouth that I never stated nor implied. I see how your mind works. Well OK, in just a few minutes i got enough feedback to get the information I was looking for. Thanks for responding everyone. I would have preferred civility but should have expected this.
No one called you names or treated you badly bt.

We just don't understand how you could think this is sensible.

He had some legitimate questions I would like you to take a stab at addressing.

Ok, lets give the OP a break for this suggestion. Fans of elder past can say they've been to an outdoor game in the Cuse, and I trust when they say it sucks. Hell, the JMA Wireless Dome has it sucky moments as well, ie; "wireless"

I get that the Bills play outdoors, and do well, but they're a pro team, with pro money. SU doesn't have that type of coin. So when you crawl back into your cave, have another drink. Hell this weather makes me want to grab a hot toddy myself!!

Outdoor football could work here… if we open a season with 6 straight home games and go on the road after Columbus Day. Even still we would need bench warners under all the seats if we play a night game.

I sometimes say on my walk up the hill: "Today would be a beautiful day to not have a roof."
But not nearly as often as I say "Thank God we have a roof".
Consider me soft. I went to Archbold as a kid, and it was miserable at times. And its miserable at times in PSU, BC, Minn, Michigan, Green Bay, etc. Are we soft for having a dome, or are they dumb for not?

When Miami played here late November 1992 it was 30 degrees outside. Beautiful winter blue sky but bone chilling cold. Maybe that would’ve helped us win that afternoon.

But otherwise this is just a silly idea.

Outdoor football could work here… if we open a season with 6 straight home games and go on the road after Columbus Day. Even still we would need bench warmers under all the seats if we play a night game.

We need a coach who can recruit bench warmers.

Just wanted to resurrect a discussion for my benefit of getting opinions on the topic. From my high level view, I have favored an outdoor football facility. I think the dome artificial turf has been a source of increased injuries and has also been used against Syracuse by negative recruiting. The weather is not as bad as some will try to make it out to be. In fact our autumn's are warmer now and some of the nicest weather of the year. I think a new outdoor stadium seating 40 to 45k would make recruiting a bit easier.
Way back in the dark ages I played trumpet in the old stadium. Nothng like trying to march and play your horn when your trumpet valves freeze and your feet slip on the snow!!!!
So I think the dome is unique to college football and with the updating is a real plus for SU!
Greg "66"

We just don't understand how you could think this is

We just don't understand how you could think this is sensible.
Um, When did I mention that someone called me a name..? Yikes!

We welcome you to Syracuse,
We hope you like our Dome

We drink a lot of beer up here,
We hope you'll blow some foam

And when you're marching in the rain,
Your feet are soaking wet

Remember us in Syracuse,
The Dome is your best bet

Remember us in Syracuse,
The Dome is your best bet

Minnesota plays outside. But they are a state school with state funding and they weren’t previously playing in a stadium that was a big part of their identity. And their coach is a Schiano loving Red Bull hyped up idiot. So, as Costanza would endorse, we should do the opposite and continue to play indoors. Debate over.

He had some legitimate questions I would like you to take a stab at addressing.
I was thinking in terms of a football exclusive stadium keeping the dome as multi use facility. I thought that I recalled a discussion on this forum years ago regarding this topic and that Skytop was a possibility. I'm probably wrong and will get blasted again for bringing this up. That's OK. Maybe my brain doesn't work as well as others in this regard as was suggested. The answers are definitely above my pay grade. But as anything else, there needs to be vision and the right people to make things happen. However, if im an idiot for even suggesting this, then obviously there is nothing here and we need to burn this thread :)

My suggestion, pick another team to follow with an outdoor stadium and you will be happy.
No. Better yet. Stop wasting my time on this forum with elitists such as yourself.

We have a multi purpose facility that we are in the midst of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on. My guess is that you haven't been in it recently.

It is used by 3 sports and 5 teams.

What do you advocate? Razing the dome, and building an outdoor stadium in its place?

And then building a facility for the basketball teams?

And then building another facility for the lacrosse teams?

How many hundreds of millions of dollars would this cost? Where would all this money come from? Do you think folks that have supplied the hundreds of millions to update the dome would be happy about being asked to supply hundreds of millions more because of your brainstorm?

All of this just to lower our injury rate for one sport? When many other peer schools also still play football on artificial turf?

I don't understand how your brain works and why you think this could possibly make sense.
On target Tom , as usual.

I was an adolescent during the Maloney years. My mother dropped me off at the steps in front of the Hall of Languages and pick me up 4 hours later or so. ( Yea I was a strange kid ) I attended every game for a few years by myself. When the weather got crappy we probably had 8-15 k in the place ( except for PSU ). Capacity was about 26 I believe without the track bleachers. A dome was the smartest thing SU ever did for its athletic program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom