Pernetti is out | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pernetti is out

And how about the basketballs that he catapulted at kids faces? If that's not a fireable offense, I don't know what is.

I've had enough of the "toughen up" crowd on this issue. None of this was acceptable and he should have been fired back in December. CASE CLOSED.

Was anyone ever injured?

So according to Barchi, rice was just fired...not fired "for cause" meaning he can still get his contract paid. Wow. Wonder how much was left on it.

Was anyone ever injured?
Do you appreciate that whether Rice is on Rutgers' payroll is a reflection on the university? To me, the administration made a fairly easy determination that they can't support someone who acts in this way. Bones didn't need to be broken to see that.

That is not the same as calling someone a fag, who obviously isn't.

You should probably just stop. What exactly does this statement mean? How are you assuming that Rice was calling someone a fag who "obviously" wasn't? Why were the kids "obviously" not gay? Because they played basketball? Because they didn't fit your stereotypical view of what a gay person looks /acts like?

Agree. But the #1 reason he is going is because once the phony, hypocritical politicians (Governor and state legislature) started grandstanding he was toast. The university president also needed another head to roll to save his own. Pernetti is a very good AD but he made a mistake by not firing Rice in Nov. (shouldn't have hired the lunatic in the first place) and now it costs him his job because of the political considerations. He'll get another AD job after a period of time. Rice is done permanently.

I don't think Pernettii was a good AD. I don't think he was an AD at all. He was a television exec who was hired to get the best deal on realignment and the TV contract.

He had zero qualifications to run a large department and manage lots of people.

The hired a plumber because they had a huge plumbing problem and were shocked to find out he couldn't do brain surgery.

Biruta transferred -- and just the other day cited his treatment as the reason why. The point Bayonne was refuting -- by using the Penn State situation aptly -- was Kaiser's argument that if the kids directly affected don't care, neither should we.

Sandusky and Paterno should've been out on their ass regardless of whether the kid in the shower reported the abuse.

But those were kids, children, raped.

These are scholarship young men who played for a coach loonier than your average crazy coach.

Comparing the two, to me, belittles what happened with Sandusky, the guy at Poly Prep, Oliva at CTK, etc.

You should probably just stop. What exactly does this statement mean? How are you assuming that Rice was calling someone a fag who "obviously" wasn't? Why were the kids "obviously" not gay? Because they played basketball? Because they didn't fit your stereotypical view of what a gay person looks /acts like?
Let me slow it down for you.

If you are not gay or whatever and someone calls you gay or whatever, then what is your reaction to that? In that environment, you probably laugh it off. Of all the complaints against Rice, that, "He called them fags", has got to be the weakest of all.

Oh my god, Stereotyping! Oh my god, slurs!. Oh no, this isn't politically correct!

Stop with the "Stereotype" fear. They work for a reason.

Stereotyping is not a crime.

These are scholarship young men who played for a coach loonier than your average crazy coach.

Comparing the two, to me, belittles what happened with Sandusky, the guy at Poly Prep, Oliva at CTK, etc.
No one is comparing the underlying acts -- child rape trumps verbal abuse (and/or a few balls to the groin) every time. The argument I'm making (and I think Bayonne was as well) is that whether or not the abused in either case complains is immaterial to whether or not the abuser should be punished. (With which Kaiser disagrees and we were responding to.) Battered women don't speak up -- nor do abused kids, teenagers who want playing time, or those who don't want to be seen as weak -- sorry, faggy. Silence doesn't equal consent.

If you are not gay or whatever and someone calls you gay or whatever, then what is your reaction to that? In that environment, you probably laugh it off. Of all the complaints against Rice, that, "He called them fags", has got to be the weakest of all.

Oh my god, Stereotyping! Oh my god, slurs!. Oh no, this isn't politically correct!

I literally have no idea what any of this means. What does it mean to say that "stereotypes work for a reason"? I think you're implying that calling someone a "fag" works because you're implying that they are weak, cowardly, "girly" or some other adjective used to describe someone that is beneath you. And since, in your opinion, gays are all of those things, the stereotype works.

Congratulations on being hateful and intolerant. You've really opened some eyes in this thread.

Was anyone ever injured?

LOL, does it matter?

I'm going to go outside right now and call everyone I see a faggot. I wont be wrong, because chances are, you know, they're probably not.

As another poster said, I would just stop if I were you. It seems like you're trying way too hard to be a tough guy, and you're just coming off as a jerk.

And by the way, you still didn't answer my question on how you know that the players Rice was calling "fags" were not actually gay. You claimed that the players were "obviously" not gay, so it was ok for them to refer to them as such. Please enlighten me how you are able to reach this "obvious" conclusion.

Doesn't matter to these guys. It's all under the same umbrella.

The RU coach violated several PC tenants:

1. Bullying ... whatever that means
2. Slurs ... saying mean things
3. Stereotyping ... Oh my God!

The hole needs to get bigger, so.....

kirkDig.gif

Yeah, I've seen it -- and you've changed my mind. It now kills me that Rice was misunderstood and that he was just applying it to its rightful usage.

The n-word wasn't originally derogatory either -- I wonder which coach will be brave enough to bring it back.

No, you misunderstood me. I was not saying it was OK the way that Rice went after his players. I was just conveying what a comic said that I thought was a funny observation.

Before you grow hair on your balls and have ever even thought of having sex with a girl, at that age, to say somebody was acting like "a fag" wasn't a big deal back in the 70s when I was growing up as an 8 year old or a 10 year old. It had nothing to do with sexuality. That was the point. It was about somebody's behavior, not their sexual orientation. To compare it to the N word is like comparing something to Hitler. It just doesn't fit in the discussion.

...and getting fired isn't a sentence. If you call someone a fag at your job, you'll be fired. Go give it a shot.
I have seen people almost fired for not being sensitive enough to those with alternative lifestyles, let alone calling them names. I'm talking about not including certain people in personal conversations.

But the point is that he wasn't really accusing them of being homosexuals. A point some seem to be unable to grasp.

And by the way, you still didn't answer my question on how you know that the players Rice was calling "fags" were not actually gay. You claimed that the players were "obviously" not gay, so it was ok for them to refer to them as such. Please enlighten me how you are able to reach this "obvious" conclusion.
Well, I don't know.

But I am convinced he was using the term to suggest lack of toughness. Why would he care about their sexual orientation?

If you are looking for someone that has been bitten by the bug of political correctness, look no further than the mirror.

How you don't see that this affects the university outside the players directly involved is mind-boggling.

And what does "they work for a reason" mean? The stereotype on gay men is that they are effeminate. Do they become more masculine by calling them "faggots"? Or does it force them deeper in the closet? Maybe that's good -- because a closeted gay man has never hurt his family or the institution he works for ... at least not in Syracuse.

LOL, does it matter?

I'm going to go outside right now and call everyone I see a faggot. I wont be wrong, because chances are, you know, they're probably not.

As another poster said, I would just stop if I were you. It seems like you're trying way too hard to be a tough guy, and you're just coming off as a jerk.
Your inability to see the difference between what Rice did in this practice and how he was using the word and running outside calling random people faggots is amazing to me.

There are degrees of things.

Well, I don't know.

But I am convinced he was using the term to suggest lack of toughness. Why would he care about their sexual orientation?

If you are looking for someone that has been bitten by the bug of political correctness, look no further than the mirror.

Replying to you is a fruitless endeavor, so I don't know why I'm bothering, but you're really missing the point on this one. Rice calling someone a "faggot" to suggest lack of toughness IS EXACTLY the problem. The word has no place in our society - it is as offensive to the gay community as the N word is to the black community. Would you be ok with it if Rice called a bunch of white kids the N word just to suggest that they were lazy? It would be the same exact thing. By your logic, this would be completely acceptable.

Well, I don't know.

Yes, that's the point. Well stated. It's an attack on a player's toughness, commitment, etc.

It's a shame that these stereotypes exist, and I do understand that it's just not acceptable to use these phrases that are part of people's vernacular.

But as Louis C.K. said in that comedy special (Chewed Up, for those who want to look it up and watch), this was a word that had a specific meaning that had nothing to do with what people are getting upset about, but we can't use it anymore. It is better to retire those words from our daily vocabulary. But they still exist out there.

For instance, I still hear people say "I jewed him down" when they want to talk about haggling for a price. I'm Jewish, so I wince when I hear that from friends sometimes, but I don't lose my shite about it. And I do actually have gay friends, and yes, most of them would probably be upset about Rice's behavior.

But some of my gay friends throw around the word "faggot" in the same way the black people call each other "my nigga". They take over control of the word and try to diminish it. They own the right to say those words and have taken them away from others, for their own self-respect and their own empowerment.

Well, I don't know.

Oh Lord...

So if I said to one of my white employees that he was as lazy as a n*****r, that would be acceptable to you? After all, I know he's not really one, so everything is cool. :bang:

How you don't see that this affects the university outside the players directly involved is mind-boggling.

And what does "they work for a reason" mean? The stereotype on gay men is that they are effeminate. Do they become more masculine by calling them "faggots"? Or does it force them deeper in the closet? Maybe that's good -- because a closeted gay man has never hurt his family or the institution he works for ... at least not in Syracuse.

What in the world are you talking about?

In this context Rice probably was using "faggot" to suggest a lack of toughness.He was not really suggesting that they were homosexuals.

But to go from there to suggesting he was trying to make them more masculine or to force them deeper in the closet is bizarre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom