Pernetti is out | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Pernetti is out

Saying "That's so gay" is wrong. Equating any group to something negative is wrong. Just because people say it doesn't make it right.

And 100 years ago the N word was used in a very similar fashion. Things change. Society adapts, usually for the better. I suggest changing with it or else eventually you're just going to be seen as an old, rude, racist bigot (if that hasn't happened already.)

Whooa, listen to those "slurs" ... "Old", "bigot". You left out homophobe, racist, misanthrope and the rest of what gets thrown at anyone who dares disagree.

Society changes for the better? Yeah, right.

Have you checked the statistics on out of wedlock births lately?

Of course, no one is allowed to criticize this because it would be unkind.

This society is going downhill big time. The culture is crumbling around us.

Entertainment --- movies, video games, TV --- are awash in desensitizing violence and politicians are worried about AR-15 magazine capacity.

Enjoy the ride down, Jec.

Entertainment --- movies, video games, TV --- are awash in desensitizing violence and politicians are worried about AR-15 magazine capacity.

Is your avatar not from "Deadwood"?

Whooa, listen to those "slurs" ... "Old", "bigot". You left out homophobe, racist, misanthrope and the rest of what gets thrown at anyone who dares disagree.

If only basketball coaches at public universities could call their players fags without getting fired, then society would be so much better off.

Yeah, you've shamed me into saying that I think the term "Redskins" is racist. I feel like such a fag.

Fag would be inaccurate, Todd.

But try on "hyper-sensitive" and "politically-correct" and see if either one of them fits.

Just how important is what the mascot of the Washington NFL team is anyway?

How much of the national or regional conversation should this important issue take up?

Who is making this an issue and why?

When SU was considering dropping it's use of the Saltine Warrior mascot, they polled the Onandagas. Guess what the results of that poll were>

This is hilarious. You're lamenting those innocent days when blacks sat on the back of the bus, and fags who weren't so obvious shut about it and married women and kept their perversions to themselves. And don't forget what a great time that must have been for women to have to fight their way into the corporate and political world. Seriously, unless you were a white male, it seems like the world before the 60's or 70's really sucked.

We certainly have our issues, but honestly I would hate to have lived in that world.

Is your avatar not from "Deadwood"?
I'm not sure that Deadwood glamorizes weapons and death. And the target audience wasn't adolescents.

That guy in that CT school didn't use a six-shooter.

I

I'd say that your use of that analogy was shockingly bad form.

I hear "That's so gay" all the time to describe clothing styles or movies or interior decoration or haircuts, etc., etc.

Should all those people be silenced?

I never hear the N word anymore ... except on television.

Actually, Townie, that's the next one that they're looking for us to stop saying. I understand it, I respect what they're saying. Maybe once people stop beating up people just for being gay, and afford them equal rights, then these words might mean less to them, and be less offensive. The whole world has gone PC, and there's really nothing to do about it, except do your best to comply.

Out of wedlock birth rate? Is that really the best analogy you could come up with after shutting down everyone else's (much better) analogies?

Honestly, I'm done with this conversation. But here is some advice for you. It seems like you are mad at the world, for whatever reason. That's not a way to live. I suggest that you dig deeper to learn what your problem is, because judging by your posts, you have many.

Go Orange

[quote="
We certainly have our issues, but honestly I would hate to have lived in that world.[/quote]

If that characterization of what the world was like in olden times were true, you would have a point.

But you are just parroting back some summary statements about the unfairness of it all.

What was better than ... or worse now? Can you think of anything?

Saying "That's so gay" is wrong. Equating any group to something negative is wrong. Just because people say it doesn't make it right.

And 100 years ago the N word was used in a very similar fashion. Things change. Society adapts, usually for the better. I suggest changing with it or else eventually you're just going to be seen as an old, rude, racist bigot (if that hasn't happened already.)

"That's so gay" isn't necessarily a negative connotation. It could be "that's so flamboyant", or "that's so over the top" or "that's so sassy". Yes, those are still gay stereotypes, but not all stereotypes are meant as negative - sometimes they are just observations. You're being a little over-sensitive in this thread, IMO. Aren't you the one who introduced the whole N word comparison into this discussion?

Fag would be inaccurate, Todd.

But try on "hyper-sensitive" and "politically-correct" and see if either one of them fits.

Just how important is what the mascot of the Washington NFL team is anyway?

How much of the national or regional conversation should this important issue take up?

Who is making this an issue and why?

When SU was considering dropping it's use of the Saltine Warrior mascot, they polled the Onandagas. Guess what the results of that poll were>
Are those who are "hyper-sentive" not displaying "a lack of toughness" -- which is how you earlier defined "faggot"? Are people who think using the n-word is inappropriate being "politically-correct"? Or are they, you know, normal?

Changing "Redskins" doesn't animate me -- you're the one who raised the issue -- but if you ask me if it's racist or not, I'll say it is.

And who cares who's raising the fuss about changing "Redskins," the Rutgers situation, etc. I love that you're trying to have it both ways -- society is going to hell, but how dare people act as their brother's keeper!

Actually, Townie, that's the next one that they're looking for us to stop saying. I understand it, I respect what they're saying. Maybe once people stop beating up people just for being gay, and afford them equal rights, then these words might mean less to them, and be less offensive. The whole world has gone PC, and there's really nothing to do about it, except do your best to comply.

This isn't even a PC issue, or even a political issue. It doesn't matter what you think of gay rights or gay marriage. I'm one of the most conservative people you will ever meet, but hate is hate.

Out of wedlock birth rate? Is that really the best analogy you could come up with after shutting down everyone else's (much better) analogies?

Honestly, I'm done with this conversation. But here is some advice for you. It seems like you are mad at the world, for whatever reason. That's not a way to live. I suggest that you dig deeper to learn what your problem is, because judging by your posts, you have many.

Go Orange

Don't say "Go Orange". That's offensive to the Irish.

Right?

http://syracusefan.com/threads/ot-q...ay-being-on-a-sunday.46797/page-2#post-570055

"As a matter of principle, I try not to offend people when I understand what I am doing." - Townie72

Kitten, are you honestly saying that there's a difference in meaning between calling a straight man a "faggot" and a gay one? You saying calling a straight man one is saying he's not tough -- some would say masculine -- what's it saying to the gay guy? Simply -- and in a non-perjorative sense -- that he sleeps with men?

You should watch this, and maybe your sensitivity will diminish a bit.

This is hilarious. You're lamenting those innocent days when blacks sat on the back of the bus, and fags who weren't so obvious shut about it and married women and kept their perversions to themselves. And don't forget what a great time that must have been for women to have to fight their way into the corporate and political world. Seriously, unless you were a white male, it seems like the world before the 60's or 70's really sucked.

We certainly have our issues, but honestly I would hate to have lived in that world.

Society has gone downhill since folks like Townie were no longer able to make hateful, intolerant, discrimnatory remarks without someone calling them out on it.

Ignorance is not an excuse my friend. If you asked 1,000 people what their word association was with the N word, they'd all say a black person. That doens't mean it's an acceptable term.

Your retort was completely unrelated to his point. His point was that words can have multiple meanings. The N word is not one of those.

"That's so gay" isn't necessarily a negative connotation. It could be "that's so flamboyant", or "that's so over the top" or "that's so sassy". Yes, those are still gay stereotypes, but not all stereotypes are meant as negative - sometimes they are just observations. You're being a little over-sensitive in this thread, IMO. Aren't you the one who introduced the whole N word comparison into this discussion?

I see what you are saying, but I don't understand the connection. Doesn't look to me like Mike Rice was using the word "faggot" as a simple "observation."

Your retort was completely unrelated to his point. His point was that words can have multiple meanings. The N word is not one of those.

And the word "faggot" can also describe a pile of sticks. What is your point?

Are those who are "hyper-sentive" not displaying "a lack of toughness" -- which is how you earlier defined "faggot"? Are people who think using the n-word is inappropriate being "politically-correct"? Or are they, you know, normal?

Changing "Redskins" doesn't animate me -- you're the one who raised the issue -- but if you ask me if it's racist or not, I'll say it is.

And who cares who's raising the fuss about changing "Redskins," the Rutgers situation, etc. I love that you're trying to have it both ways -- society is going to hell, but how dare people act as their brother's keeper!

Perfect point, Todd. Society is going to hell.

But we are being saved by those who feel "Redskins" is hurtful to American Indians... although they have never met one.

Don't say "Go Orange". That's offensive to the Irish.

Right?

http://syracusefan.com/threads/ot-q...ay-being-on-a-sunday.46797/page-2#post-570055

"As a matter of principle, I try not to offend people when I understand what I am doing." - Townie72

This is absolutely CLASSIC. So, Townie can be sensitive when it's HIM that is being offended. Or something he "understands". But, he can't be bothered to try and understand why someone else could be offended by something he doesn't understand.

Exposed.

It would be interesting to see Townie's reaction if one of the RU players was, in fact, gay. Does that then make it wrong to him? What if he committed suicide because of it? Is it wrong then? Or is it the player's fault for being too weak to handle stereotypes because, as he says, "they are stereotypes for a reason."

I am usually in the "PC is BS" camp, but this dude is nuts. Almost as nuts as Mike Rice. I just hope he only thinks like this behind his computer screen, and not in real life.

You see, that has no relevance, whether or not one of the players is gay. Rice's comment wasn't meant literally. Get a clue. It has nothing at all to do with sexual orientation.

If you ever played sports, you have encountered a coach like Mike Rice somewhere along the line. That doesn't make it right, but that's sports culture.

Kitten, are you honestly saying that there's a difference in meaning between calling a straight man a "faggot" and a gay one? You saying calling a straight man one is saying he's not tough -- some would say masculine -- what's it saying to the gay guy? Simply -- and in a non-perjorative sense -- that he sleeps with men?

Look we appreciate that there are gay people on the forum, and some of them may have been offended by Mike Rice, but again, this has nothing to do with players actual sexual orientation. You're just taking the discussion to a place that you feel you can lecture us from, but it's not what was meant.

Society has gone downhill since folks like Townie were no longer able to make hateful, intolerant, discrimnatory remarks without someone calling them out on it.

I'll confess to sometimes using stereotypes.

And I'm not a big user of slurs, etc. But, I'm not one to think the death penalty applies in all cases to those that do.

The problem is that the list of things we can't say is growing so quickly that its hard to keep up.

Society has gone downhill because no one can be criticized or ostracized or anything else regardless how outrageous their behavior is.

You should watch this, and maybe your sensitivity will diminish a bit.

I've seen it before -- but do you appreciate that a comedian and a high-profile public employee are judged by different standards? That Louis CK using "faggot" publicly is different than Mike Rice? Or that Louis CK wouldn't be hired as a basketball coach even if the "K" stood for Krzyzewski?

I love a good off-color joke, and can have a salty mouth -- but I also have the good judgment when not to use it. Rutgers was justified in firing Rice for his sheer stupidity alone.

You are completely 100% incorrect. His point was that "Redskin" had multiple meanings because people associated it with a football team, not Native Americans. But that is completely insane logic because the term absolutely, unequivocally, 100% referred to Native Americans when the team was named - look at their logo! The only reason people associate the term with football now is because the team has been around for however many decades. Just because the term has taken on another association, doesn't change the fact that it was rooted in racism.

This is absolutely CLASSIC. So, Townie can be sensitive when it's HIM that is being offended. Or something he "understands". But, he can't be bothered to try and understand why someone else could be offended by something he doesn't understand.

Exposed.
Richmond, Richmond.

Thanks for digging that up.

That conversation was about wearing orange in an Irish bar on St Patrick's day with the intent of offending people.

I thought then that it was a bad idea. I still do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom