Pernetti is out | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Pernetti is out

I am about the same age as Mike Rice, and like IMatt said, those words (not rightly, but whatever) when we were kids were thrown around well before children were exposed to different lifestyles, unike today. I think to a person every kid took it as a lack of toughness. No one really knew any better. Not nice, but some words have multiple meanings.

Personally, I think the guy should've been let go. Coaches are nuts, and that was nutty even for that fraternity. But to compare it to Penn State, etc to me is insane.

I
Oh Lord...

So if I said to one of my white employees that he was as lazy as a n*****r, that would be acceptable to you? After all, I know he's not really one, so everything is cool. :bang:
I'd say that your use of that analogy was shockingly bad form.

I hear "That's so gay" all the time to describe clothing styles or movies or interior decoration or haircuts, etc., etc.

Should all those people be silenced?

I never hear the N word anymore ... except on television.

Biruta transferred -- and just the other day cited his treatment as the reason why. The point Bayonne was refuting -- by using the Penn State situation aptly -- was Kaiser's argument that if the kids directly affected don't care, neither should we.

Sandusky and Paterno should've been out on their ass regardless of whether the kid in the shower reported the abuse.

I really wish people would stop equating this incident with Penn State. They're not even in the same stratosphere.

I am about the same age as Mike Rice, and like IMatt said, those words (not rightly, but whatever) when we were kids were thrown around well before children were exposed to different lifestyles, unike today. I think to a person every kid took it as a lack of toughness. No one really knew any better. Not nice, but some words have multiple meanings.

Personally, I think the guy should've been let go. Coaches are nuts, and that was nutty even for that fraternity. But to compare it to Penn State, etc to me is insane.

Good point about words with multiple meanings.

"Redskins" now no longer just describes Native Americans.

If you gave 1,000 people in DC a word association test and said "Redskins" they would all respond "Football" or somethings similar.

What in the world are you talking about?

In this context Rice probably was using "faggot" to suggest a lack of toughness.He was not really suggesting that they were homosexuals.

But to go from there to suggesting he was trying to make them more masculine or to force them deeper in the closet is bizarre.
Kitten, are you honestly saying that there's a difference in meaning between calling a straight man a "faggot" and a gay one? You saying calling a straight man one is saying he's not tough -- some would say masculine -- what's it saying to the gay guy? Simply -- and in a non-perjorative sense -- that he sleeps with men?

If you gave 1,000 people in DC a word association test and said "Redskins" they would all respond "Football" or somethings similar.

Or Ripoff artists, or greed, or shortsighted...but that's a different conversation...

I really wish people would stop equating this incident with Penn State. They're not even in the same stratosphere.
And I wish people on this board had better reading comprehension skills. No one has equated the underlying acts.

I

I hear "That's so gay" all the time to describe clothing styles or movies or interior decoration or haircuts, etc., etc.

Saying "That's so gay" is wrong. Equating any group to something negative is wrong. Just because people say it doesn't make it right.

And 100 years ago the N word was used in a very similar fashion. Things change. Society adapts, usually for the better. I suggest changing with it or else eventually you're just going to be seen as an old, rude, racist bigot (if that hasn't happened already.)

Ignorance is not an excuse my friend. If you asked 1,000 people what their word association was with the N word, they'd all say a black person. That doens't mean it's an acceptable term.

I have seen people almost fired for not being sensitive enough to those with alternative lifestyles, let alone calling them names. I'm talking about not including certain people in personal conversations.

But the point is that he wasn't really accusing them of being homosexuals. A point some seem to be unable to grasp.

He was accusing them of being like a fag or queer or homo as if that inherently means weak or girly or a p****.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Kitten, are you honestly saying that there's a difference in meaning between calling a straight man a "faggot" and a gay one? You saying calling a straight man one is saying he's not tough -- some would say masculine -- what's it saying to the gay guy? Simply -- and in a non-perjorative sense -- that he sleeps with men?
"Yes" to the first point.
"I don't know" to the second point.

Or Ripoff artists, or greed, or shortsighted...but that's a different conversation...
And that makes the term okay, right? I think all three of us live in the DC-area -- have you missed the recent coverage about the rumblings to do something about the name?

I

Because "gay" and "faggot" aren't on the same level -- same with "bitch" and the c-word or "colored" and the n-word.

And that makes the term okay, right? I think all three of us live in the DC-area -- have you missed the recent coverage about the rumblings to do something about the name?

To say I could care less about the Redskins is an understatement. They are notorious for treating employees terribly.

It would be interesting to see Townie's reaction if one of the RU players was, in fact, gay. Does that then make it wrong to him? What if he committed suicide because of it? Is it wrong then? Or is it the player's fault for being too weak to handle stereotypes because, as he says, "they are stereotypes for a reason."

I am usually in the "PC is BS" camp, but this dude is nuts. Almost as nuts as Mike Rice. I just hope he only thinks like this behind his computer screen, and not in real life.

It would be interesting to see Townie's reaction if one of the RU players was, in fact, gay. Does that then make it wrong to him? What if he committed suicide because of it? Is it wrong then? Or is it the player's fault for being too weak to handle stereotypes because, as he says, "they are stereotypes for a reason."

I am usually in the "PC is BS" camp, but this dude is nuts. Almost as nuts as Mike Rice. I just hope he only thinks like this behind his computer screen, and not in real life.

What are you saying? The Rutgers players were OBVIOUSLY not gay, because why would a gay man play basketball? Surely, this has never happened before. :crazy:

And I wish people on this board had better reading comprehension skills. No one has equated the underlying acts.

I should have replied to Bayonne's post instead: "if the people getting abused don't stand up and complain, then it's ok? Then Sandusky and Paterno should have coached there forever in your eyes."

I can't speak for Kaiser but it seems to me that his point was that while Rice is batshite crazy and what he did was absolutely wrong, the whole situation is overblown and the players' (legally adults) defense of Rice is evidence that this is an exaggerated news story sparked by a jilted revenge-hungry ex-employee, a greedy media network and a blood-thirsty public. (DISCLAIMER: I believe Rice was very wrong to do what he did and firing him was totally warranted. I'm not condoning his behavior at all.)

Bayonne wants to compare getting basketballs thrown at your shins as an adult (DISCLAIMER: I believe Rice was very wrong to do what he did and firing him was totally warranted. I'm not condoning his behavior at all.) to being raped as a child. Can we use some common sense here, please?

They are Big East athletes, they aren't learning basketball, Rutgers jokes aside

Rice is nuts, but I bet if we secretely taped every practice from high school on up people would be really horrified.

Maybe. But I've seen a lot of football and basketball practices at a few schools. In my experience, tugging a kid's jersey or facemask to place him in proper position is about as rough as it gets.

... the players' (legally adults) defense of Rice is evidence that this is an exaggerated news story sparked by a jilted revenge-hungry ex-employee, a greedy media network and a blood-thirsty public.

"Biruta said the main reason he left Rutgers was because of Rice's treatment. "Mostly it was because of the way he was leading the team," he said. "I didn't think that was a way to lead."

"Malick Kone, a player who just announced he is transferring from Rutgers, said he found the practices to be too intense and he didn't like the language Rice used. Malick, who was born in Guinea, said Rice would make fun of how he spoke English and would mock him after Malick would ask for things to be explained. "

(Should add...this isnt directed at you...just the whole "players defended him" rationale)

I'm pretty sure I know what side of thss you are on, Todd.

I should have replied to Bayonne's post instead: "if the people getting abused don't stand up and complain, then it's ok? Then Sandusky and Paterno should have coached there forever in your eyes."

I can't speak for Kaiser but it seems to me that his point was that while Rice is batshite crazy and what he did was absolutely wrong, the whole situation is overblown and the players' (legally adults) defense of Rice is evidence that this is an exaggerated news story sparked by a jilted revenge-hungry ex-employee, a greedy media network and a blood-thirsty public. (DISCLAIMER: I believe Rice was very wrong to do what he did and firing him was totally warranted. I'm not condoning his behavior at all.)

Bayonne wants to compare getting basketballs thrown at your shins as an adult (DISCLAIMER: I believe Rice was very wrong to do what he did and firing him was totally warranted. I'm not condoning his behavior at all.) to being raped as a child. Can we use some common sense here, please?
No, Nirvana, don't tell me what I want to do.
I was just refuting kaiser's notion that if the abused person doesn't stand and complain, then it's ok, it really wasn't abuse in the first place.
And to tell me that the players' defense of Coach is evidence of anything is simply moronic.
Again, what were the players supposed to say when asked..."Coach Rice deeply hurt me physically and emotionally." Please...
"No big deal" is exactly what they are going to say, no one wants to admit to being abused.

Unless I'm missing something, he's not saying that. Kaiser wrote:

"But if the kids who are there, the ones getting the 'abuse' don't care and are ok with it...then all the nancies in shock, shouldn't get their way."

To which Bayonne responded:

"Seriously or are you just playing with us, if the people getting abused don't stand up and complain, then it's ok? Then Sandusky and Paterno should have coached there forever in your eyes.

"That is the most up statement I've heard here in a long time. And that's saying alot."

I think Bayonne and I justifiably read Kaiser's argument as "silence equals consent" -- with which we both disagree. It doesn't matter whether Biruta complained to officials or whether the first kid who was abused by Sandusky saw him again after the first incident -- the powers that be are still justified in punishing them for their actions. Again, neither of us are saying the abuses are the same -- they're not, nor do they need to be to refute Kaiser's argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom