Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Just wondering. As disappointing as it is to lose Bryant and Battle, is this really a funk or return (hopefully temporary) to most other recruiting years in the recent past where we don't get the top 10-15 recruits but still able to consistently get recruits in the top 75 or so with the occasional recruit in the top 25 coupled with an underrated surprise and then overachieve like heck?

For some reason the conspiracy part of my brain isn't surprised that it's the Big 10 taking advantage of the sanctions and NCAA "rulings". Can't help thinking of our NCAA games against OSU, Michigan and how that all went down... Grr & Uggh
The funk part is more about the continuous bad news for the program overall this year. I think our recruiting will mostly be the same as you mentioned with JB around. I'm just at the belief that we have so many good things to sell to a recruit such as the Dome, Melo Center, and playing in the best b-ball conference in the nation. Not saying that we would become UK, Duke, and KU when it comes to loading up on 5 stars, but I don't see why we couldn't be on par with what a program like Zona has working for them. It seems like we always lead early with a bunch of elite players, only to fall out of favor at some point and end up with a back end top 100 instead. Briscoe to Howard is a prime example of that. Don't get me wrong, I like the players that we have coming in but I'm not sure they're any program changers in the group that will lead us to a chip. I think in 2016 we'll most likely have to settle for a 2nd tier option because Simmons is a long shot and most likely won't decide until next spring and we all know how spring decisions and SU don't mix. Landing Duval in 2017 will be huge if SU want to be amongst the elite once again.

Francis03 said:
The funk part is more about the continuous bad news for the program overall this year. I think our recruiting will mostly be the same as you mentioned with JB around. I'm just at the belief that we have so many good things to sell to a recruit such as the Dome, Melo Center, and playing in the best b-ball conference in the nation. Not saying that we would become UK, Duke, and KU when it comes to loading up on 5 stars, but I don't see why we couldn't be on par with what a program like Zona has working for them. It seems like we always lead early with a bunch of elite players, only to fall out of favor at some point and end up with a back end top 100 instead. Briscoe to Howard is a prime example of that. Don't get me wrong, I like the players that we have coming in but I'm not sure they're any program changers in the group that will lead us to a chip. I think in 2016 we'll most likely have to settle for a 2nd tier option because Simmons is a long shot and most likely won't decide until next spring and we all know how spring decisions and SU don't mix. Landing Duval in 2017 will be huge if SU want to be amongst the elite once again.

Great post.

The problem now is that any guard not in the elite status does us little good except as a backup to Howard and Joseph. But it's almost essential that we have another guard on the roster that year. However, we could have 3 point guards on the team in two years. I just don't see Howard and Joseph playing the 2 because neither shoot particularly well.

Well (and this isn't necessarily directed at you), certain concern expressers and realists go out of their way, constantly, to only chime in and pile on when bad stuff is happening. On a fan board, it's a he11 of a lot more enjoyable to read sugar coating than broken-record negativity.

I would wager to bet that some of those people you have identified, myself included, genuinely are inquisitive fellows and/or ladies. Enjoy problem solving and are people who also support the program via certain monetary avenues (if applicable). These are all posters I bet who certainly praise the team when things are going well and are worth praising.

However for almost three seasons now it has become very painful offensive basketball to watch. We get excited if we crack 65 points. Even the Final 4 team wasn't very proficient offensively. It can't be blamed all on some early entry departures. Plenty of teams deal with this. Since 25-0 we are 21-19 if my math is correct with short lived post-seasons. Seemingly all close games. A second probation and I do believe the sanctions are currently way too harsh and too much of this personally directed towards JB. We had a SF playing PG even in February because it was such an emergency situation there. Two transfers now (probably not ACC level players anyways) and losing out on two recruits who were considered virtual locks, at least judging by the amount of time invested in them. Also, the coach implied once that we had a mystery elite commitment coming. It is completely valid to wonder and question if the program is on solid ground right NOW.

Last edited:
I like how some of these posters wanna flip my words around. I never said we were missing out on players like Bryant and Battle because of the zone. I said the 100% zone prevents us from being involved with most of the top 10 players who have NBA aspiration. Is it a coincidence why we're never involved with most of them and other schools tell them don't go to SU with that being one of the main reasons? Obviously it's not a big deal overall because we still land very good players but I was just pointing out facts.

I can understand folks seeing the Battle miss as monumental for the program. For any player that is that highly rated, i.e. Bryant and Battle, I am bummed to miss but that disappointment is also tempered by the fact that its 2015 and that today's reality is that these players are 1-2 year players anyways...with that comes the fact that some next year's class may turn out to be more valuable than Bryant or Battle would have been...but that is debatable and no doubt its a huge disappointment these guys went elsewhere.

What is not as understandable is the folks who take the Battle decision and make the quantum leap to conclude that "kids just don't want come here anymore." It may turn out that the sanctions do have a negative impact on recruiting -- early signs from incoming class and Moyer are otherwise but maybe that will be the case -- but to reach the conclusion based on the decision of one 18 year old kid who decided somewhere else was best for him is more than a little ridiculous. I have been away from this board for a couple months and now I see why.

jsshap said:
I can understand folks seeing the Battle miss as monumental for the program. For any player that is that highly rated, i.e. Bryant and Battle, I am bummed to miss but that disappointment is also tempered by the fact that its 2015 and that today's reality is that these players are 1-2 year players anyways...with that comes the fact that some next year's class may turn out to be more valuable than Bryant or Battle would have been...but that is debatable and no doubt its a huge disappointment these guys went elsewhere. What is not as understandable is the folks who take the Battle decision and make the quantum leap to conclude that "kids just don't want come here anymore." It may turn out that the sanctions do have a negative impact on recruiting -- early signs from incoming class and Moyer are otherwise but maybe that will be the case -- but to reach the conclusion based on the decision of one 18 year old kid who decided somewhere else was best for him is more than a little ridiculous. I have been away from this board for a couple months and now I see why.

Thing is, we need kids like Bryant and Battle to raise the team's level of play. We have a nice class on the way, but they're not winning a NC with their talent. We needed a boost.

Thing is, we need kids like Bryant and Battle to raise the team's level of play. We have a nice class on the way, but they're not winning a NC with their talent. We needed a boost.

I really like this years incoming class as the backbone or base of a great team when you add a couple NBA type talents too it. And its looking more and more like the ACC is going to be a powerhouse so you will need at least one elite transcendent type NBA player to go with really good program guys to compete at the top. I hope we can add one of these players at guard in the 2016 class and Moyer has the chance to be one of these guys. Battle was one of these guys IMO and Bryant was likely one of these guys. Even ND had an elite NBA type guard in Grant to go with 3 or 4 really good college players.

Why can't Moyer be that boost?

I think he can be that type of player. You can see he's working hard to expand his game out to the wing. The shooting and driving is starting to come together. That and he has the alpha dog mentality to go with his work effort IMO. If he has the senior season I expect I think he'll be a top 20ish consensus kid.

phil77 said:
Why can't Moyer be that boost?

No reason he can't.

But do you like our chances of winning a NC with Joseph or Howard running the point...or Battle?

Luckily, there's still time to add a high-end talent. Let's just hope we can finally close on one again.

I don't know, but were we going to be a real threat for the title in 2016-2017 with Battle? Isn't he a 1 and done type anyhow? Maybe the goal should be a title in 2017-2018 behind Duval?

No reason he can't.

But do you like our chances of winning a NC with Joseph or Howard running the point...or Battle?

Depends how they develop. Did UCONN envision winning a title with freshman Napier and Boatright? Who knows how these kids will play in 2-3 years down the road.

Jasoncuse said:
Luckily, there's still time to add a high-end talent. Let's just hope we can finally close on one again. I don't know, but were we going to be a real threat for the title in 2016-2017 with Battle? Isn't he a 1 and done type anyhow? Maybe the goal should be a title in 2017-2018 behind Duval?

Duke won it all playing 3 impact freshmen.

So yes. I think SU's plan was/is to recruit the best possible players in hopes of winning another title for JB.

Battle may have only stayed one year, but it may have been enough.

Depends how they develop. Did UCONN envision winning a title with freshman Napier and Boatright? Who knows how these kids will play in 2-3 years down the road.

The same can be said of our 2009-10 squad, which had no five-star recruits, let alone any McD's AAs. Heck, I'm sure everyone remembers the reactions we got when we "gifted" the Rautins family with a scholarship for 1-star Andy. I don't think anybody, including myself, expected much of anything out of a team that had just lost Flynn, Devo, and Harris, yet they ended up blowing everyone's minds through the course of the regular season.

Duke won it all playing 3 impact freshmen.

So yes. I think SU's plan was/is to recruit the best possible players in hopes of winning another title for JB.

Battle may have only stayed one year, but it may have been enough.

Even a fourth freshmen was contributing, at least in March and making an impact.

I like how some of these posters wanna flip my words around. I never said we were missing out on players like Bryant and Battle because of the zone. I said the 100% zone prevents us from being involved with most of the top 10 players who have NBA aspiration. Is it a coincidence why we're never involved with most of them and other schools tell them don't go to SU with that being one of the main reasons? Obviously it's not a big deal overall because we still land very good players but I was just pointing out facts.
Always enjoy your posts Francis. I agree with your premise. But IMO there is another factor contributing to our lack of going after top 10-15 kids and that is geographic. The staff very rarely goes outside the Boston-DC corridor. While this area produces a lot of talent, there is a lot more top talent outside the area and we almost never go into other areas. The B1G schools used to hardly ever go out of the midwest a few years ago. Now their top programs are all getting kids from the Boston-DC corridor. I was glad to see the staff get Moyer out of Ohio and now try for some kids in Georgia. I think the next few years are going to be very difficult for SU to recruit top 50 kids because the coaching situation is uncertain. If I was a 2016/2017 recruit I would be leery of SU because it is really unknown who the HC and staff is going to be. This should not be a long term problem once the new AD makes a firm decision but it has to effect the next 2 classes and I'm sure other schools are using it against us and putting it in recruit's minds.

I think we should wait and see how this pans out before we start drawing conculsions. Its a long way to signing day. Murry and Simmons still on the board there is a chance we come out of this in decent shape.
Frances, whats your thoughts on Carr? It appears hes been playing well, as a big guard how far of a drop off is he at this point?

I know this is semi-off topic, but was JB planning to stick around mainly on the expectation that they'd land Battle and compete for another title? It could be a long 3 years of recruiting misses and cold winters if he plans to ride it out to the end. I'm not a pessimist - it's just hard to swallow mediocrity after having a taste of being elite. I don't feel like joining the group of teams in the ACC that get used to looking up to Duke and Carolina and Lville year after year.

I think we should wait and see how this pans out before we start drawing conculsions. Its a long way to signing day. Murry and Simmons still on the board there is a chance we come out of this in decent shape.
Frances, whats your thoughts on Carr? It appears hes been playing well, as a big guard how far of a drop off is he at this point?
Carr is on par with the 2nd tier PG options like Q. Rose and Howard Washington. I don't think he would make a big immediate impact early on, but could do really well halfway throughout his college career.

I feel ya, and greatly appreciate all the information you provide Francis.

Here is my thing people are talking like Battle was ours to lose. We have built relationships for three years with the kid. If he was a lock he would have committed a long time ago. For Battle its clear something didn't feel right about him coming to Syracuse. Had nothing to do with the penalties. We have been on the kid way before those were handed it. Is it the loss of ships? Can't be there is one here for him if he wanted. We have a top class coming in this year and another top 50 (AT WORST) player already signed up for next year. So if he was really "OURS" to lose he would have committed a long time ago.

It is clear that he didn't feel that he fitted in a Syracuse or was never really comfortable here or like I said he would have committed a long time ago. The penalties are just and excuse to not come here when he didn't really want to come here in the first place. I blame the staff for misjudging his interest level. If he can take one visit to another school and basically commit on the spot then they needed to realize he wasn't that interested and move on sooner. Maybe that is why we saw a rush of PG offers going out a couple weeks ago.

Here is my thing people are talking like Battle was ours to lose. We have built relationships for three years with the kid. If he was a lock he would have committed a long time ago. For Battle its clear something didn't feel right about him coming to Syracuse. Had nothing to do with the penalties. We have been on the kid way before those were handed it. Is it the loss of ships? Can't be there is one here for him if he wanted. We have a top class coming in this year and another top 50 (AT WORST) player already signed up for next year. So if he was really "OURS" to lose he would have committed a long time ago.

It is clear that he didn't feel that he fitted in a Syracuse or was never really comfortable here or like I said he would have committed a long time ago. The penalties are just and excuse to not come here when he didn't really want to come here in the first place. I blame the staff for misjudging his interest level. If he can take one visit to another school and basically commit on the spot then they needed to realize he wasn't that interested and move on sooner. Maybe that is why we saw a rush of PG offers going out a couple weeks ago.

Not to be an a-hole. But you had me to the end.

Maybe they did realize a month or so ago. When we started offering guards. IN any event, what if they read it wrong and offered a kid last year a spot and he took it. Like Jamal Murray for instance. Battle could then say well they didn't wait for me I was def. going to commit. Bottom line. Its a chance you take with recruiting. Good news is we offered 2-3 other top 50 guards in the last month and one has us in the top 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom