Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Sorry for sounding like Iggy, but I don't think top 15 kids are dying to play for JB and 100% zone D if they have NBA aspirations these days. Personally I don't see our recruiting cracking on a high level until Hop takes over.
This seems to be one big factor. The other is JB criticizing players in the media after games and after they declare for the NBA. A good friend told me that the Battle camp told him they were very turned off by the way JB handled McCullough after the Chad Ford mock draft came out.

Gotta think the 100% zone D is a big factor. Not sure if it matters to some recruits or parents but you often hear guys like Beilein, K, Izzo, etc. always talk about family and being part of a family at each school. They are more of the father figure types and teachers of the game than JB.

Great post, as usual, SoBe. Once again, I want to say that your post/ like ratio is way out of whack. It should be MUCH better. Paging Mr. tee. T, I pity the fool if you don't tee up SoBe.

Even with a guy like Gilbert, he recently raved about loving Louisville's defensive system, because he loves playing full court man to man. That might hurt us with him.

I have a feeling Gilbert is going to be a very productive college player if he goes to a program like L'ville or UCONN. Those systems will allow him to maximize his speed and skill set.

Gotta think the 100% zone D is a big factor. Not sure if it matters to some recruits or parents but you often hear guys like Beilein, K, Izzo, etc. always talk about family and being part of a family at each school. They are more of the father figure types and teachers of the game than JB.
Even with a guy like Gilbert, he recently raved about loving Louisville's defensive system, because he loves playing full court man to man. That might hurt us with him.
Agree with you guys. Not saying there isn't a place for zone D, but when it's your only D it takes you out of the convo for several elite players. You know it becomes negative recruitment point #1 against us. "Why play at SU when zone D won't prepare you for the NBA." Now they have the Ennis and CMac ripping to use. "Why play for an old and bitter coach who'll prevent you from chasing your dreams to play in the NBA."

You may be thinking of Ernie D as far as the car stuff. Heard about him but never heard it about Pete.

No, it's been written about Pete and was also well-documented in the documentary, "Pistol Pete" that is re-aired occasionally. I think it usually airs on the CBS family of networks.

Edit: I just googled it. There are a ton of stories about Pistol Pete doing the dribbling out the car window, including a NYT story. I'm too lazy to figure out how to link it on my iPad right now.

Agree with you guys. Not saying there isn't a place for zone D, but when it's your only D it takes you out of the convo for several elite players. You know it becomes negative recruitment point #1 against us. "Why play at SU when zone D won't prepare you for the NBA." Now they have the Ennis and CMac ripping to use. "Why play for an old and bitter coach who'll prevent you from chasing your dreams to play in the NBA."

Yesh, JB undressing his players in the post-games has come off really bad. I'm still surprised that you think our recruiting will really take off under an unproven Hop, even considering recruits like Hop.

Bingo. Unfortunate, really.

Yesh, JB undressing his players in the post-games has come off really bad. I'm still surprised that you think our recruiting will really take off under an unproven Hop, even considering recruits like Hop.
Hop is a grinder and plenty of AAU/HS coaches love him and won't have a problem sending their players to play for him more so than JB at this point imo. Plus the word is that Hop won't be as 100% dedicated to the zone as JB. Which won't limit us to a certain pool of players.

I think it's fairly safe to say I tend to be an optimist re: syracuse basketball. But, do you really think we're in any kind of position to land either murray or Simmons? We just missed a kid we've had a relationship with for 4 years, but now we're gonna get a commit from a kid we just offered a couple weeks ago or a kid we still haven't even offered? Whatever you're on, I want some.

As I said before, I agree with most here in that I'm quite disappointed for multiple reasons. However, to answer your question, we don't know yet if things will be better. Not all guys materialize as we think when they have yet to put a foot on a college basketball court. All I'm saying is that let's allow this whole thing play out before we (not necessarily you) deem this as a catastrophic loss. We just don't know yet. What I'm "on" is patience. I might have to resurrect this thread a couple years down the road (as someone without a name being used) likes to do which could make us all chuckle as to how we were too quick to judge. Just my 2 cents; take it for what it is.

Francis03 said:
Hop is a grinder and plenty of AAU/HS coaches love him and won't have a problem sending their players to play for him more so than JB at this point imo. Plus the word is that Hop won't be as 100% dedicated to the zone as JB. Which won't limit us to a certain pool of players.

That sorta flies in the face of JB sticking around to steady the program.

If he can't reel in recruits like Bryant and Battle, then, well...

longtimefan said:
Why don't we wait until we see who he can reel in.

Of course.

I'm optimistic.

But if it's not a top tier kid -- Simmons or Murray -- we're not looking at anyone who is going make more of impact than Joseph or Howard after another year.

There's not a lot of 5-star guards out there.

Kinda already have my eye on 2017.

I would love to see us get Simmons up for a visit but I feel like it will be very difficult to keep him away from UNC from what I've heard.

Yeah I think I saw a couple years back he gave an interview where he said he would play the zone but not all the time. He said he would press and would want his players to get in the face of the opponent. So in other words press, play some man to man, and some zone to throw people off.

Last consensus top 10 guy we got was Donte Greene. We're talking nearly 10 years now.
Exactly but weve also a decent amount of guys in the league since then and had our best stretch since the 80s.

In the last 6 years we have had two great teams. We also had another team that went to the final four. I'll take my chances with the kids we bring in.

In the last 6 years we have had two great teams. We also had another team that went to the final four. I'll take my chances with the kids we bring in.
I'm talking moving forward during our current situation. I don't see any future rookie of the years sitting on our rosters or lining up to play at SU. We can agree to disagree and I'll gladly eat crow if proven wrong because we all want to see SU do well and break out of this funk.

I'm talking moving forward during our current situation. I don't see any future rookie of the years sitting on our rosters or lining up to play at SU. We can agree to disagree and I'll gladly eat crow if proven wrong because we all want to see SU do well and break out of this funk.

Just wondering. As disappointing as it is to lose Bryant and Battle, is this really a funk or return (hopefully temporary) to most other recruiting years in the recent past where we don't get the top 10-15 recruits but still able to consistently get recruits in the top 75 or so with the occasional recruit in the top 25 coupled with an underrated surprise and then overachieve like heck?

For some reason the conspiracy part of my brain isn't surprised that it's the Big 10 taking advantage of the sanctions and NCAA "rulings". Can't help thinking of our NCAA games against OSU, Michigan and how that all went down... Grr & Uggh

If Joseph doesn't grow, Syracuse could be an attractive destination next spring for a transfer with one year of immediate eligibility. That's assuming they whiff and a scholly is available or becomes available.

I think Joseph will grow next year and we won't be feeling as desperate as we do after today's loss.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom