Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

There are a lot of guards out there, when you miss on one it creates an opportunity to get another. Yea, Battle would have been a great get, but recruiting top 10 talent is always a crap shoot….

There are a lot of guards out there, when you miss on one it creates an opportunity to get another. Yea, Battle would have been a great get, but recruiting top 10 talent is always a crap shoot….

And that is the reason for my gripe. It is a crap shoot so why be all in for so long and allow yourself to be behind the 8-ball with other very talented guards that had interest. Its sucks to miss out on Battle but its more the way it was handled and the bad situation it leaves us in than it is missing out on a big time player. Also that coincides with a bunch of bad news bball program wise of late. Still the staff has some options and we could wind up with a great guard but they put themselves in a much harder position to accomplish that.

I think people are dreaming if they think Simmons is coming to SU. For some reason, Murray has never seemed like an option for SU. I just see us settling for Washington or the other kid from Rochester. I don't think either one of them are ACC players.

Would rather see Sedee Keita or James Banks fill the last scholarship than either of them.

Last consensus top 10 guy we got was Donte Greene. We're talking nearly 10 years now.

But how many McD's AAs in that time? Let's not act like recruiting has been an issue for this program. We've recruited just behind the elite schools for the past decade, and the staff has done an amazing job identifying and reeling in talent early (MCW, Johnny Flynn, etc.).

If the NCAA sanctions have changed our "brand", that's one thing, but it would be weird for the zone to all of a sudden be an issue.

Last edited:
But how many McD's AAs in that time? Let's not act like recruiting has been an issue for this program. We've recruited just behind the elite school for the past decade, and the staff has done an amazing job identifying and reeling in talent early (MCW, Johnny Flynn, etc.).

If the NCAA has changed our "brand", that's one thing, but it would be weird for the zone to all of a sudden be an issue.
I'm with you Scotch. SU's recruiting had notched up to its best over the last six years. The run on McD centers and NBA guards had not been done before. Now we miss on 2 good players (who were not consensus top 10's by the way) and all of a sudden it's the zones fault?

Sorry for sounding like Iggy, but I don't think top 15 kids are dying to play for JB and 100% zone D if they have NBA aspirations these days. Personally I don't see our recruiting cracking on a high level until Hop takes over.
Given that JB isn't exactly setting himself up for one last title shot, any chance he calls it a day after this coming season? I really don't want a bobby Bowden situation.

OlsenRyan13 said:
Would rather see Sedee Keita or James Banks fill the last scholarship than either of them.

I can see this, but how do you function with only two true ballhandlers? Keep in mind we'd be losing G and Cooney and not replacing them with a guard.

I can see this, but how do you function with only two true ballhandlers? Keep in mind we'd be losing G and Cooney and not replacing them with a guard.

That's tough to answer and would clearly be an issue, but I also think many people are neglecting the fact that center is an issue too. If we end up with Keita/Banks, then I guess KJ starts at PG and Howard is his backup with Malachi playing emergency PG minutes if need be. Depth at center is never a bad thing when Dajuan Coleman is the starter.

Roll the Dice with Joseph/Howard and play Malachi at the 2. I really think because of the scholarship limitations we should be taking the best players regardless of position. If you start getting too picky/choosey with positions your talent level is going to go down. I have no problem offereing Huerter for 2017 as I believe he will be an elite shooter, but I don't see why we would take Q. Rose. Yes he's highly athletic, but he'd be another guy we would take that has limited offensive skill. Focus on a an elite PG for 2017

I read somewhere that Gilbert grew up a Syracuse fan. I think we might have a shot at landing either him or Murray, but I would put chances for Simmons at slim to none. If we can't get any of the three, then my hope would be either Banks or Keita with the possibility of getting back a scholarship for Huerter/Rose/Washington. Maybe it's time to move on to the Trevon Duval thread...

And that is the reason for my gripe. It is a crap shoot so why be all in for so long and allow yourself to be behind the 8-ball with other very talented guards that had interest. Its sucks to miss out on Battle but its more the way it was handled and the bad situation it leaves us in than it is missing out on a big time player. Also that coincides with a bunch of bad news bball program wise of late. Still the staff has some options and we could wind up with a great guard but they put themselves in a much harder position to accomplish that.
Agree with this, especially when, by all indications, we could have had Jamal Murray. Now we're way, way behind in his recruitment.

Gilbert may very well visit.

He may be our best hope for a quality guard. But I don't see him being an impact guy who comes in and takes the ball from Joseph, then a junior, or Howard, a sophomore.

The following year, in 2017, I see us over recruiting someone like Gilbert.

The staff needs to be very smart going forward with recruiting.

I think we're always going to be able to get good players, like the current incoming class.

But can we land great players, top 15 quality?
I'm thinking Gilbert is going to be wearing Orange. Let's look at the facts. Most everyone had Battle signed, sealed and delivered to Syracuse. Except for the Syracuse coaches. Why else would they be offering and courting Gilbert. The only way Gilbert doesn't wear Orange is if Simmons verbals.

People complain we only go after 2nd tier guys and never go after the big fish. Now you can see why we don't go after many of them. Should have just stuck to what we do best.

I'm thinking Gilbert is going to be wearing Orange. Let's look at the facts. Most everyone had Battle signed, sealed and delivered to Syracuse. Except for the Syracuse coaches. Why else would they be offering and courting Gilbert. The only way Gilbert doesn't wear Orange is if Simmons verbals.

People are high on Gilbert and rightfully so, but I'm skeptical. He fits Louisville better than us, and I'm not all that sold he's ever going to solve our outside shooting issues.

People complain we only go after 2nd tier guys and never go after the big fish. Now you can see why we don't go after many of them. Should have just stuck to what we do best.

This is pretty true and something I've learned since moving from upstate is that in general a majority of outsiders perceive upstaters as critical and negative. I've found that criticism even when coupled with praise or presented in a way to fine tune something that is already good is not well received at all since moving out of state.

People are high on Gilbert and rightfully so, but I'm skeptical. He fits Louisville better than us, and I'm not all that sold he's ever going to solve our outside shooting issues.

I don't think Simmon's will help the outside shooting much either. Murray would but the plan is Malachi and Lydon to do that IMO and Moyer to an extent as well.

Hop is a grinder and plenty of AAU/HS coaches love him and won't have a problem sending their players to play for him more so than JB at this point imo. Plus the word is that Hop won't be as 100% dedicated to the zone as JB. Which won't limit us to a certain pool of players.

Playing that exciting, uptempo style with relenetless defensive pressure is one of the reasons I was hoping that Shaka Smart would still be in contention when JB eventually stepped down. Oh well.

I really hope the staff didn't ignore Bryant for two months for Battle like some people here suggested they did. What a huge swing and miss.

phil77 said:
we don't go after big fish?

Neither do I. We don't really belong to the club...meaning you can't ever question anything that goes on or express some level of concern. Just keep those orange goggles on and sugar coat anything potentially negative.
Well (and this isn't necessarily directed at you), certain concern expressers and realists go out of their way, constantly, to only chime in and pile on when bad stuff is happening. On a fan board, it's a he11 of a lot more enjoyable to read sugar coating than broken-record negativity.

'CuseHoops said:
I really hope the staff didn't ignore Bryant for two months for Battle like some people here suggested they did. What a huge swing and miss.

Those people are wrong if they suggested that. Why would it be a Bryant or Battle situation?

Well (and this isn't necessarily directed at you), certain concern expressers and realists go out of their way, constantly, to only chime in and pile on when bad stuff is happening. On a fan board, it's a he11 of a lot more enjoyable to read sugar coating than broken-record negativity.

This is very true but SoBe and I are saying that we should not be lumped in that "chime in and pile on when bad stuff is happening" category.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom